Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electrician hourly charges

I need to know what is a fair charge electricians are chageing to do the
wiring for a 30 by 28 size basement. I live in the Andover New Jersey
area. He is charging me $2400.00 in labor for about 10 to fourteen hours
of work and won't give me a breakdown on the number of hours rendered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:42:10 -0500, "jsanders"
wrote:

I need to know what is a fair charge electricians are chageing to do the
wiring for a 30 by 28 size basement. I live in the Andover New Jersey
area. He is charging me $2400.00 in labor for about 10 to fourteen hours
of work and won't give me a breakdown on the number of hours rendered.

The $240 an hour is high for one electrician. Around here, it's about
$40-80 an hour. You can find out if your estimate is fair by getting
2-3 more estimates. If there is a great difference in these
estimates, get a few more. Check if the one you pick is certified,
bonded and insured.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

There are two basic methods contractors use. One is what you got, an
estimate or proposal. He calculates the job, gives you the figure, and you
take it or go somewhere else. The other method is time/materials, you pay
him an hourly rate for so many warm bodies, and materials with a
predetermined mark up, and whatever it comes to, you pay. The figure that
you feel is high, could well turn out to be lower than anyone else in your
area is willing to do the job for. What you seem to be trying to do will
only create an adversarial relationship with the guy. Unless he's the only
game in town, move on.

"jsanders" wrote in message
news:2c311dc98396c97e1d82def166be9ecd@homerepairli ve.com...

I need to know what is a fair charge electricians are chageing to do the
wiring for a 30 by 28 size basement. I live in the Andover New Jersey
area. He is charging me $2400.00 in labor for about 10 to fourteen hours
of work and won't give me a breakdown on the number of hours rendered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jsanders" wrote in message
news:2c311dc98396c97e1d82def166be9ecd@homerepairli ve.com...

I need to know what is a fair charge electricians are chageing to do the
wiring for a 30 by 28 size basement. I live in the Andover New Jersey
area. He is charging me $2400.00 in labor for about 10 to fourteen hours
of work and won't give me a breakdown on the number of hours rendered.

The answer is, "Whatever the traffic will bear."

HTH

Steve