Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is it entirely me, or does the cheap chainsaw share the blame?

"Toller" wrote in message
I have never had much luck with chainsaws, but then I have always bought
junk.

Currently I have a Craftsman 16" 36cc.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...BV Cookie=Yes

Although I haven't used it much, it barely cuts and when I push it the
blade just stops. Getting through anything more than a branch is an
ordeal; but I see professionals going through 3' logs like butter.
I concede my technique is largely responsible, I wonder if it is entirely
responsible.

There is an "new" Echo 440CS available locally for a very low price.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...de=cii_9324560

Since the normal price is more than twice that of the saw I have, I have
to think it is somehow better.
Will the Echo do better for me than the Craftsman; or would I be just as
unhappy with it?

If the chain saw is running okay, then it's your chain. You can have them
professionally sharpened for about five bucks apiece, or buy a sharpener and
learn to do it yourself. Sounds like yours is a chain issue, and not a
motor issue.

The next time you buy a chain saw, buy a Husqvarna and that will be the last
one you will buy. Available from $237 on the Internet. I have a $245 that
I got for $240 brand new, and it's great. But you DO have to keep the
blades sharp, and hitting one rock or pocket of dirt will dull a chain.

HTH

Steve