Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hanging curtains on soft walls

I have been trying to hang curtains in my daughters room and the walls
are sooo soft they just fall down. The Screws just rip right out and
leave a big nasty hole in the wall! I even tried using these little
plasic things that you put in the wall first and then the screw. Then
I have even a bigger holes. Any Ideas?
Please Help....
Thanks,
Nicole

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 2:54 pm, niki wrote:
I have been trying to hang curtains in my daughters room and the walls
are sooo soft they just fall down. The Screws just rip right out and
leave a big nasty hole in the wall! I even tried using these little
plasic things that you put in the wall first and then the screw. Then
I have even a bigger holes. Any Ideas?
Please Help....
Thanks,
Nicole

Have you tried molly bolts the hold from the back side of the wall?
They look like a letter ' T ' that can collapse and slip into a hole
in the wall then they pop open and hold the item from the rear.

Of course if you have a wall that was badly patched or damaged by
water you may need to consider 1. mounting the rod on the widow frame
2. locating the wall stud and anchor it there!

Molly's are available at any borg or ace hardware

HTH

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 2:54 pm, niki wrote:
I have been trying to hang curtains in my daughters room and the walls
are sooo soft they just fall down. The Screws just rip right out and
leave a big nasty hole in the wall! I even tried using these little
plasic things that you put in the wall first and then the screw. Then
I have even a bigger holes. Any Ideas?
Please Help....
Thanks,
Nicole

Sounds like you need to get another set of eyes there. No offense
meant, but you need someone to tell if the walls are the problem
or the means of fastening, and how to go about doing it right.

Maybe a friend can be induced, for a beer or two?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hank wrote:
On Jul 9, 2:54 pm, niki wrote:

I have been trying to hang curtains in my daughters room and the walls
are sooo soft they just fall down. The Screws just rip right out and
leave a big nasty hole in the wall! I even tried using these little
plasic things that you put in the wall first and then the screw. Then
I have even a bigger holes. Any Ideas?
Please Help....
Thanks,
Nicole

Have you tried molly bolts the hold from the back side of the wall?
They look like a letter ' T ' that can collapse and slip into a hole
in the wall then they pop open and hold the item from the rear.

I theenk you mean "toggle bolts", and yes, they will do the job even
better than "Mollys", particularly if Hank has already made those
"bigger and nastier holes" in the wall.

Mollys expand when you tighten their screws and leave a firmly mounted
threaded insert in the wall which lets you remove the screw and replace
it for stuff like wall painting.

With toggle bolts, if you have to remove the screw you lose the toggle
down the inside of the wall and need to obtain a new one to refasten
things with.

Capice?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:54:41 -0700, niki wrote:

I have been trying to hang curtains in my daughters room and the walls
are sooo soft they just fall down. The Screws just rip right out and
leave a big nasty hole in the wall! I even tried using these little
plasic things that you put in the wall first and then the screw. Then
I have even a bigger holes. Any Ideas?
Please Help....
Thanks,
Nicole

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...infanchor.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

niki wrote:
I have been trying to hang curtains in my daughters room and the walls
are sooo soft they just fall down. The Screws just rip right out and
leave a big nasty hole in the wall! I even tried using these little
plasic things that you put in the wall first and then the screw. Then
I have even a bigger holes. Any Ideas?
Please Help....
Thanks,
Nicole

Reminds me of a story. Lady lived in a apartment in NY and made friends with
a single fellow in the same building. When she had a problem, she'd invite
him over for dinner (bring your tool kit).

She'd think: "He's a miracle worker! He can put up a towel rack so it won't
fall down and all I have to do is throw a couple more potatos in the pot.
What a deal!"

He'd think: "She's a miracle worker! For a couple of thirty-five cent bolts
I get a home-made rack-of-lamb dinner. What a deal!"

Then they'd have sex.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 18:00:00 -0400, mm
wrote:

Is this still done in all, most construction done by professionals?

Have you been to a construction site lately?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is this still done in all, most construction done by professionals?

Have you been to a construction site lately?

I had BIG problems here dogs would play on bed against window, rip
down rods and bend rods.

finally hhad a buddy make up steel plates with 6 holes for each holder
and flat steel bar acting as rod.

its been no problem ever since but the thing is so heavy if it did
fall it would hurt or seriously injure me.

so i confoirm its secure occasionally.

the large plates give lots of space for toggles and a wood screw in
what remains of the wood inside the wall

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
wrote:

Is this still done in all, most construction done by professionals?

Have you been to a construction site lately?

I had BIG problems here dogs would play on bed against window, rip
down rods and bend rods.

finally hhad a buddy make up steel plates with 6 holes for each holder
and flat steel bar acting as rod.

its been no problem ever since but the thing is so heavy if it did
fall it would hurt or seriously injure me.

so i confoirm its secure occasionally.

the large plates give lots of space for toggles and a wood screw in
what remains of the wood inside the wall

Better than teaching the stupid dogs to do the right thing.
Zzzzzzzzzz...........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 7:37?pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

wrote:

Is this still done in all, most construction done by professionals?

Have you been to a construction site lately?

I had BIG problems here dogs would play on bed against window, rip
down rods and bend rods.

finally hhad a buddy make up steel plates with 6 holes for each holder
and flat steel bar acting as rod.

its been no problem ever since but the thing is so heavy if it did
fall it would hurt or seriously injure me.

so i confoirm its secure occasionally.

the large plates give lots of space for toggles and a wood screw in
what remains of the wood inside the wall

Better than teaching the stupid dogs to do the right thing.
Zzzzzzzzzz...........- Hide quoted text -

i wanted to move the bed wife disagreed....

cant do much aboiut dogs playing when no one is home

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 9, 7:37?pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

wrote:

Is this still done in all, most construction done by professionals?

Have you been to a construction site lately?

I had BIG problems here dogs would play on bed against window, rip
down rods and bend rods.

finally hhad a buddy make up steel plates with 6 holes for each holder
and flat steel bar acting as rod.

its been no problem ever since but the thing is so heavy if it did
fall it would hurt or seriously injure me.

so i confoirm its secure occasionally.

the large plates give lots of space for toggles and a wood screw in
what remains of the wood inside the wall

Better than teaching the stupid dogs to do the right thing.
Zzzzzzzzzz...........- Hide quoted text -

i wanted to move the bed wife disagreed....

cant do much aboiut dogs playing when no one is home

There's always a way to deal with dogs.
http://tinyurl.com/2eczcw

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 23:37:21 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

the large plates give lots of space for toggles and a wood screw in
what remains of the wood inside the wall

Better than teaching the stupid dogs to do the right thing.
Zzzzzzzzzz...........

I tried to teach dogs to hang curtains but they kept insisting on
mini-blinds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

the large plates give lots of space for toggles and a wood screw in
what remains of the wood inside the wall

Better than teaching the stupid dogs to do the right thing.
Zzzzzzzzzz...........

I tried to teach dogs to hang curtains but they kept insisting on
mini-blinds.

See? They're ignorant creatures. Mini-blinds have their place, but when the
human says "curtains", it means curtains. My cat keeps whining about Roman
shades. Another self-appointed expert.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 01:29:32 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

the large plates give lots of space for toggles and a wood screw in
what remains of the wood inside the wall

Better than teaching the stupid dogs to do the right thing.
Zzzzzzzzzz...........

I tried to teach dogs to hang curtains but they kept insisting on
mini-blinds.

See? They're ignorant creatures. Mini-blinds have their place, but when the
human says "curtains", it means curtains. My cat keeps whining about Roman
shades. Another self-appointed expert.

You're exactly right. But it was their doghouse so I really couldn't
tell them how to decorate it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
niki wrote:
[...]

BTDT. Except for the part after 'Then', damnit.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 9, 7:37?pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

wrote:

Is this still done in all, most construction done by professionals?

Have you been to a construction site lately?

I had BIG problems here dogs would play on bed against window, rip
down rods and bend rods.

finally hhad a buddy make up steel plates with 6 holes for each holder
and flat steel bar acting as rod.

its been no problem ever since but the thing is so heavy if it did
fall it would hurt or seriously injure me.

so i confoirm its secure occasionally.

the large plates give lots of space for toggles and a wood screw in
what remains of the wood inside the wall

Better than teaching the stupid dogs to do the right thing.
Zzzzzzzzzz...........- Hide quoted text -

i wanted to move the bed wife disagreed....

cant do much aboiut dogs playing when no one is home

Sure there is- leave the damn things in the outside pen where they belong,
whenever you leave the house. (said outside pen having plenty of room to
bounce around, shelter/shade, and fresh water, of course.)

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dont even try.
You can not hang anything on a soft dick, so you cant hang anything on
soft walls either. Soft is soft !!!!!
I'm sure you know all about being soft !!!
Your wife told me all about it when I screwed her last Saturday night.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 01:29:32 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

the large plates give lots of space for toggles and a wood screw in
what remains of the wood inside the wall

Better than teaching the stupid dogs to do the right thing.
Zzzzzzzzzz...........

I tried to teach dogs to hang curtains but they kept insisting on
mini-blinds.

See? They're ignorant creatures. Mini-blinds have their place, but when
the
human says "curtains", it means curtains. My cat keeps whining about Roman
shades. Another self-appointed expert.

You're exactly right. But it was their doghouse so I really couldn't
tell them how to decorate it.

They're full of ideas, but absent when you wanna go order the window
treatments at JC Penney. Friggin' deadbeat animals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"niki" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been trying to hang curtains in my daughters room and the walls
are sooo soft they just fall down. The Screws just rip right out and
leave a big nasty hole in the wall! I even tried using these little
plasic things that you put in the wall first and then the screw. Then
I have even a bigger holes. Any Ideas?
Please Help....
Thanks,
Nicole

Those plastic things are about near worthless you want to use a toggle bolt.
Here is a picture and directions on how to install.

http://lexkyweb.com/windows/installation_basics.html

The main menu is located at http://lexkyweb.com/windows/

This bunch was wild today. Usually this group is more helpful.

Colbyt