Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pool Heat Pump Drain Line

Hi folks,

I woke up this morning and had water leaking out of my pool heat pump. I
determined that the fitting that attaches the drain/discharge line to the
bottom of the heat exchanger had broken. I'm assuming this allows the unit
to be drained for the winter or something.

Anyway, the male end of the broken fitting is still lodged in the hole in
the heat exchanger. I don't have a tool that can grab it to unscrew it.
Does anyone know if something like this is available? Thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 13:14:01 -0400, Dutch Buckhead wrote:

Hi folks,

I woke up this morning and had water leaking out of my pool heat pump. I
determined that the fitting that attaches the drain/discharge line to the
bottom of the heat exchanger had broken. I'm assuming this allows the
unit
to be drained for the winter or something.

Anyway, the male end of the broken fitting is still lodged in the hole in
the heat exchanger. I don't have a tool that can grab it to unscrew it.
Does anyone know if something like this is available? Thanks in advance!

Is it plastic?

Yes, the broken fitting is plastic and it appears the discharge/drain tube
itself is plastic as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 13:23:38 -0400, Dutch Buckhead wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
[...]

Well I would (and I don't recommend you or anyone else do this) using a
hacksaw blade cut through the inside of the fitting down to the threads
of the heater, careful not to damage them, and pry/twist the broken piece
out in one piece hopefully so you can try to match it up with something.
Have you any experience with PVC pipe installation/repair? If not you'll
need to get a plumber.

Thanks for the information. I don't have any experience at this. Someone
told me I might be able to use a stub extractor or a nipple extractor, but
the smallest one I could locate is 1/2 inch. That is still much larger than
the hole in the broken fitting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Meat Plow wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
[...]

Oh ok then I wasn't sure the size so I guess a hacksaw blade wouldn't fit
inside anyway. That's an awful small fitting by the way, i was expecting
something around 3/4 or so.

What about an "easy-out" screw extractor?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
[...]

Do you think that would work for a plastic fitting?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ews.net,
"Dutch Buckhead" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
[...]

I do.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Al is offline

"Dutch Buckhead" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
[...]

I believe it will do the job................

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al" wrote in message

"Dutch Buckhead" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
[...]

I was able to get a screw extractor and remove the broken fitting from the
heat exchanger, and replaced it with a new one. No more leaking!

However, when I did kick the heat pump on I am receiving a "high pressure"
message on the display. I will have to call in a pro for that, but will
worry about it closer to Fall. Thanks for your help!