Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hi-Lift jack stuck on the upstroke

I bought a Hi-Lift jack about a month ago and it seems to be f*cked already
after only light use. It sticks badly when raising the handle. I can't see
any obvious reason why it's binding, might be the pin holding the handle,
but I don't think so.

If I can find the bill I guess I'll replace it. But I'm wondering what other
peoples experiences have been? I don't think a new one will last much
better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 13:41:58 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

I bought a Hi-Lift jack about a month ago and it seems to be f*cked already
after only light use. It sticks badly when raising the handle. I can't see
any obvious reason why it's binding, might be the pin holding the handle,
but I don't think so.

Been along time, but I recall mine binding. Two springs with pins??? I
had to manipulate the springs to engage and disengage the pins. PITA.

If I can find the bill I guess I'll replace it. But I'm wondering what other
peoples experiences have been? I don't think a new one will last much
better.

One got me out of numerous mud holes :-)

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I bought a Hi-Lift jack about a month ago and it seems to be f*cked already
after only light use. It sticks badly when raising the handle. I can't see
any obvious reason why it's binding, might be the pin holding the handle,
but I don't think so.

If I can find the bill I guess I'll replace it. But I'm wondering what other
peoples experiences have been? I don't think a new one will last much
better.

I have used many of them. They need to be oiled where the springs and
pins do the work. If you leave them outdoors, rust builds up. Oil
the thing and it will likely work fine. Of course there could be
something broken. They sell repair kits, which are the springs and
pins, but if you just bought it, and oil dont help, return it for a
replacement. Be sure to store it indoors though.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Stock wrote:

I bought a Hi-Lift jack about a month ago and it seems to be f*cked already
after only light use. It sticks badly when raising the handle. I can't see
any obvious reason why it's binding, might be the pin holding the handle,
but I don't think so.

If I can find the bill I guess I'll replace it. But I'm wondering what other
peoples experiences have been? I don't think a new one will last much
better.

A real Hi-Lift, or a Chinese knock off? If it's a knock off you're
probably SOL. For a real Hi-Lift you have to keep the climbing pins
clean and lubed, but tons of people abuse the heck out of those jacks
without any problems. You can get a rebuild kit for like $10-12 at
places like Tractor Supply. Check the Hi-Lift site
(http://www.hi-lift.com/) for more info and warrantee stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have 3 of them. One inherited and two bought new. They do require
lubrication and keep them dry.

There are 4 points to check. Two of them are the climbing pins
themselves that should snap in and out smartly when there is no load
on the jack. The other two are the springs which retract the pins.
Lay the tool on its side and manipulate the action with a screwdriver
to see what's sticking.

The switch that releases the jack to lower or engages to lift is very
stiff. Keep a short wood stick available to hit it with. Even with
lubrication, it can be a bear to release.

One caution: if there is less than 150# on the jack and the action is
released, it will drop like a stone rather than ratcheting down. Don't
let anything fall on you.

I changed out the pins/springs on my inherited model. They were too
long, so I had to grind them down to fit, but now they work just fine.

wrote:

I bought a Hi-Lift jack about a month ago and it seems to be f*cked already
after only light use. It sticks badly when raising the handle. I can't see
any obvious reason why it's binding, might be the pin holding the handle,
but I don't think so.

If I can find the bill I guess I'll replace it. But I'm wondering what other
peoples experiences have been? I don't think a new one will last much
better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom Kendrick" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the detailed checklist Tom.

I've never had much trouble releasing the 'lift', but setting it again can
be a challenge.

I'm wondering if I bent one of the climbing pins; first thing to check.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since this is a new unit, I would bet that there might be a burr on
the cast cage that holds the pins and springs. The springs are held in
place by two roll pins which can be easily removed with the right
sized pin punch without mushrooming the pin.
Before you tinker too much, prior advice to return/exchange it is well
said.

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 17:41:09 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

"Tom Kendrick" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm wondering if I bent one of the climbing pins; first thing to check.

As one last resort; look at the business end of the pin for a burr ..
round it off on a grinder a bit - just a minor bevel. Oil as
mentioned.

Or the kit.. Is this a real Hi-Lift jack?

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom O'Connor wrote:

It's been my experience that then need a LOT of oil to work properly.
Tom

My (real) Hi-Lift jack is still on the factory lube and has yet to give
me any trouble. I used it once to move a 40' shipping container (empty
and close to 10,000# tare wt.) about 60' over rough terrain and then
level it on concrete blocks (solid), so it's seen some heavy use.

Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote in message
Bill Stock wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Bill Stock, Bruce wrote:
me7 wrote:

I bought a Hi-Lift jack about a month ago and it seems to be f*cked

already
after only light use. It sticks badly when raising the handle. I can't see
any obvious reason why it's binding, might be the pin holding the handle,
but I don't think so.
If I can find the bill I guess I'll replace it. But I'm wondering what

other
peoples experiences have been? I don't think a new one will last much
better.

Hmmm, Hi-Lift jacks are manufactured here in my hometown of Bloomfield,
Indiana. The owners live right behind me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

me7 wrote:

I bought a Hi-Lift jack about a month ago and it seems to be f*cked

already
after only light use. It sticks badly when raising the handle. I can't see
any obvious reason why it's binding, might be the pin holding the handle,
but I don't think so.
If I can find the bill I guess I'll replace it. But I'm wondering what

other
peoples experiences have been? I don't think a new one will last much
better.

Hmmm, Hi-Lift jacks are manufactured here in my hometown of Bloomfield,
Indiana. The owners live right behind me.

Great, but that dont help the poster.

I have several Hi-Lift jacks. They are almost a MUST on farms. But they
can be a pain in the ass, and they ARE most of the time.
The pins need to be oiled on a regular basis. After that, you fight with
them repeatedly, and sometimes they actually work.....

I try to use a bottle or floor jack whenever I can, instead of a Hi
Lift.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 18:45:00 -0600, CRNG
wrote:

I try to use a bottle or floor jack whenever I can, instead of a Hi
Lift.

+1

A Hi-Lift jack also works like come-along - like a winch. Lifting is
not always the main purpose. They get finicky but serve their purpose.