Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pool filter passing air, where? -Jacuzzi FM inground

I guess its a Jacuzzi "FM" iirc, std. beige type (24 000 gallon inground
pool) filter {tank} not a fancy shape, with a ~1/2-2/3hp pump. Pump and
tank seperate. Must be 10-15 years old. It runs fine, but lots of bubbles
shoot out deep end output jet as well as water. Water doesn't leak outside,
maybe around head bolts. Never changed sand - don't know if I could. Never
frozen. Vacuums poorly now, must do on backwash, and that needs re-priming.
Ends up needing re-priming after a week or two of cycling- no suction
hardly. I do pick it up by the exhaust line & recycling fittings every year
to move and store it. I don't think this is the reason it is getting the
air in though. I don't know where it is coming from. Had a great suction
not a few years back - created its own great flow - hardly a bubble. The
drain at the bottom is tight I think, and I'ver gotall new hoses with 2 or 3
SS clamps. It does have a new chip out of the plastic rim where the clear
plastic pump cap seals, but the O-ring is supported through 360; so??.
Can't imagine anything wrong with the hoses in the ground, always use
antifreeze, and drain. Betcha runs like a charm with a good seal. So.

I'd really like to get back a perfect flow, no leaks, no air out, and good
vacuum.

Can I reseal the head? Its got a ring of half a dozen bolts. Can I do this
in an afternoon?

Posted to alt.home.repair

bent writes:

Can I reseal the head?

What head?

Bubbles indicate a suction-side leak, not a filter problem.

Do you lube the O-ring on the pump strainer? And seat the cap on slowly to
allow the O-ring to creep?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think there could be a problem in the tank, not the filter, which may be
the cause. A couple/few years ago I had a perfect (bubble free) flow right
up to the top of the clear pump strainer cover and no bubbles out the jet in
the deep end. With a new unit(s) I bet it would be that way again instantly.
But I don't know where the problem could be. Surprised this ng covers pool
stuff. Now for whatever reason I have half of the bowl where the strainer
is with the cover on top is filled with air, and I have a lot of air pumping
out the jet in the deep end. It will not correct itself as it did just a
couple/few years ago. Vacuuming sucks. The head I a talking about is at
the top of the filter (tank), the section with a round flat base that bolts
to the main tank section with the 6 or so bolts. There is another piece
above that that has the filter, backwash, winterize selector handle. These
two pieces are bolted together with 7 bolts (actually philips head m/c
screws). I was wondering if there could be a gasket or something in there
that could be re&re'd. I am open to theories on why I have so much air now.
I doubt I have a crack in the pipe underground, however? I wonder about
underground fittings, etc. I poured hot water on tyhe 1-1/2" hose & used 3
SS clamps this year between the pump and the undergrounfd hard plastic hose
fittings, and there are no visible leaks anyhwhere there. Anyways, Like I
said before if I put in new units I'd bet large for no bubbles, So...?

I seal the cap properly. I spray evertything with silicone which helps ease
on the plastic sleeve lock and O-ring.

Theories??

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
.. .
bent writes:

Can I reseal the head?

What head?

Bubbles indicate a suction-side leak, not a filter problem.

Do you lube the O-ring on the pump strainer? And seat the cap on slowly
allow the O-ring to creep?

Posted to alt.home.repair

bent writes:

The head I a talking about is at
the top of the filter (tank), the section with a round flat base that
bolts to the main tank section with the 6 or so bolts.

Repeat: Bubbles indicate a suction-side leak, not a filter problem.

If your filter bulkhead leaks, water comes out. Air does not go in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, that sounds like god info to work from, and I should be able to find
the problem wihout having to replace things. Just so I am clear, I guess
the the O-ring seal on the strainer counts as part of the suction side, so I
will start to start troubleshooting there and work backwards.

Working backwards, parts include:
Pump
Rubber O-ring and groove in plastic pump housing
-correction; the spray I use is teflon:a petroleum distillate suspension
Plastic bowl screen (the plastic top rim that supports it in the bowl of
mine is cracked - its an old unit and may be n/a, so I am told
-so I may try improvising plastic sections to try to make a complete seal
around top
~8" Plastic straight pipe (threaded 2 ends)
Ball Valve (threaded 2 ends)
90 degree plastic elbow (threaded valve end, smooth hose end)
~16" rubber hose (new fibre-reinforced white)
90 degree plastic elbow ( smooth 2 ends)
Eternal hard plastic pipe section (leading down into ground and over to
skimmer)

The Eternal hard plastic pipe section (leading down into ground and over to
skimmer) has never been cut in 30 years. So the imprint of the 90 degree
plastic elbow grooves ( smooth 2 ends) which have been imprinted into that
hose, and the fact that its hard platic, mean the seal may be not perfect.
But therer are 2 pipes there (one in, one out) cut both the same length.
They are about 18" up from the ground, probably no elbows in the ground,
cause you can see the curl of the hoses and strain. I could cut them down
and get new elbows with new pronounced groove ridges, put the kettle on, and
clamp like hell while pliable.

Each winter I take off the clamps, but the ~16" rubber hose (new
fibre-reinforced white) is the only piece separated and taken from its
place- the pump keeps the straight pipe, ball valve and elbow attached, and
the pipe from the ground keeps its elbow (minus the SS clamps). I could try
troubleshooting the possible leak points, but every year I work like hell to
get em not to leak at the outset - but its a vacuum so who knows!?

ANy thoughts?

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
bent writes:

The head I a talking about is at
the top of the filter (tank), the section with a round flat base that
bolts to the main tank section with the 6 or so bolts.

Repeat: Bubbles indicate a suction-side leak, not a filter problem.

If your filter bulkhead leaks, water comes out. Air does not go in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

all pools will be basically the same. Everyday new unit(s) will put low
vacuum to full vacuum. Cutting the hard plastic hose is a big deal, haven't
done it yet in 30 years, and its a yearly function.