Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Door Bell Not Working

We have a new doorbell with Westminster chimes that is hard wired.
When you push the door bell button and release it the door bell chimes
the first bell, but stops. If you hold the door bell button in, the
bell will ring through the entire 8-note chime. Does it sound like it
is miswired or defective. The brand is Heath Zenith. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 6, 2:11?pm, wrote:
We have a new doorbell with Westminster chimes that is hard wired.
When you push the door bell button and release it the door bell chimes
the first bell, but stops. If you hold the door bell button in, the
bell will ring through the entire 8-note chime. Does it sound like it
is miswired or defective. The brand is Heath Zenith. Thanks!

did you replace transformer?

chimes need more voltage........

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a new doorbell with Westminster chimes that is hard wired.
When you push the door bell button and release it the door bell chimes
the first bell, but stops. If you hold the door bell button in, the
bell will ring through the entire 8-note chime. Does it sound like it
is miswired or defective. The brand is Heath Zenith. Thanks!

One of the buttons needs a resistor on it. Did you replace the button? Is
the chime new? Did it ever work? The resistor allows it to work through
the entire chime sequence. They give you one with the chime and it goes
across the terminals of the button. RTFM

Worst case scenario is to put a sign over the button asking people to hold
the button through eight notes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6 Jul, 14:11, wrote:
We have a new doorbell with Westminster chimes that is hard wired.
When you push the door bell button and release it the door bell chimes
the first bell, but stops. If you hold the door bell button in, the
bell will ring through the entire 8-note chime. Does it sound like it
is miswired or defective. The brand is Heath Zenith. Thanks!

It one note enough to get you to answer the door? If so, leave it be.
Who needs 8 notes to tell if there is someone at the door?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If the chime is powered by a transformer, and not batteries, (some can be
wired either way) it needs a constant 16 volts at the chime and a switch leg
from the chime to each push button. Once the push button is momentarily
pushed, the chime uses its self contained 16 volt power to continue the
melody until its finished. A standard ding-dong chime only requires a
momentary pulse of 16 volts to operate. If this device is replacing a
ding -dong chime, it may be wired incorrectly

wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a new doorbell with Westminster chimes that is hard wired.
When you push the door bell button and release it the door bell chimes
the first bell, but stops. If you hold the door bell button in, the
bell will ring through the entire 8-note chime. Does it sound like it
is miswired or defective. The brand is Heath Zenith. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a new doorbell with Westminster chimes that is hard wired.
When you push the door bell button and release it the door bell chimes
the first bell, but stops. If you hold the door bell button in, the
bell will ring through the entire 8-note chime. Does it sound like it
is miswired or defective. The brand is Heath Zenith. Thanks!

I had a doorbell button that was plastic, and finally fell to pieces. I
went and bought another. On the old one, there was a small electronic
device, either a resistor or diode that was wired across the two connectors.

When I installed the new one, the new one did not have one. The doorbell
did the exact same thing, ringing only as long as you held the button down.
I put the little component from the old one back in, and it still would not
work. Apparently there was a polarity issue, as I reversed it, and it
worked just fine.

Not sure if you changed button and all, but you apparently are missing
something in the setup.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
PJA PJA is offline

replying to rjbe2003, PJA wrote:
The door push button activating the electronic chimes requires a diode across
it's terminals. If it doesn't work, reverse the house wires OR reverse the
diode wires (not both). There is no simpler method of determining which way
is correct. This should solve your problem. If it doesn't, remove the
chimes container and the chimes to get access to the transformer. Measure the
voltage across the two transformer screws. It should be 10 to 16 Volts AC.
If not, you need a new transformer. If the voltage is correct, you have a
faulty chime.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-231548-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2017 6:44 PM, PJA wrote:
replying to rjbe2003, PJA wrote:
The door push button activating the electronic chimes requires a diode
across
it's terminals. If it doesn't work, reverse the house wires OR reverse the
diode wires (not both). There is no simpler method of determining which
way
is correct. This should solve your problem. If it doesn't, remove the
chimes container and the chimes to get access to the transformer.
Measure the
voltage across the two transformer screws. It should be 10 to 16 Volts
AC. If not, you need a new transformer. If the voltage is correct, you
have a
faulty chime.

Thanks, PJA, but after ten years I said screw it and installed a brass
door knocker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

PJA m
Sat, 10 Jun 2017 23:44:02 GMT in
alt.home.repair, wrote:

replying to rjbe2003, PJA wrote:
The door push button activating the electronic chimes requires a
diode across it's terminals. If it doesn't work, reverse the
house wires OR reverse the diode wires (not both). There is no
simpler method of determining which way is correct.

It sounds like the chimes are expecting DC voltage, then. If that's the
case, Don't they have a positive and/or negative connection listed on
them someplace? If one of the two wires going to it has a color code of
somekind (say, a red line on it), one could designate that the plus or
minus one and wire to the switch accordingly. Obviously taking care to
place the diode on the proper wire so it can provide primitive DC
voltage to the electronic circuitry.

I haven't installed that many chimes, but, the ones I have installed
that were of the electronic variety had a plus and minus symbol on
their terminals. Some of them actually had the diode already with them
and it was okay to wire them to a standard ac output transformer. I've
only seen two of them that didn't, and, expected you to provide DC
power to run them. hence the diode...

So I made sure that when I ran the bell wire, I made note of which
color was to be which polarity. YMMV.

--
Dislexics of the world, UNTIE!

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to SteveB, John c. wrote:
Thanks Steve, I had the same problem and reversing the diode worked like a
charm
John C

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-231548-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Diesel, Grapevine wrote:
this is for electronic door bell, if you have a plunger type (analog) type
door bell this is not for you, If you have a digital electronic which has no
moving parts, this is for you, In stall diode across the door bell button , if
it still don't work flip the diode around this will then work. You need a
diode go to radio shack or Frys electronics and buy a small diode *

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-231548-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Grapevine m
Wed, 08 Nov 2017 18:44:02 GMT in
alt.home.repair, wrote:

replying to Diesel, Grapevine wrote:
this is for electronic door bell, if you have a plunger type
(analog) type door bell this is not for you, If you have a digital
electronic which has no moving parts, this is for you, In stall
diode across the door bell button , if it still don't work flip
the diode around this will then work. You need a diode go to
radio shack or Frys electronics and buy a small diode *

LOL. It works because the electronic doorbell requires DC but the bell
transformer is AC by default. The diode gives you a DC power source,
but, at a loss in the configuration you're suggesting.

--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit he
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to rjbe2003, Hector Dominguez wrote:
I think I have the same problem. Idiot know if I using the wrong push button

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-231548-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to rjbe2003, Arnie wrote:
The button requires a diode accross it and as I recall...U can't use a lighted
button because the lightbulb screws it up!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-231548-.htm

obnoxious door bell Bob Home Repair 14 June 13th 07 10:45 PM
Door bell problem Dave Home Repair 11 December 28th 06 05:02 AM
Door bell problem [email protected] Home Repair 0 December 27th 06 02:28 PM
Cordless Door Bell David Lang UK diy 15 August 9th 05 01:26 PM
Need to modify door bell Brent Home Repair 10 December 30th 03 11:19 PM