DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Interior renovations. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/205689-interior-renovations.html)

Pelletier July 6th 07 03:26 PM

Interior renovations.

I have a 14' X 18' dining room that i am going to split into two
rooms. I have a good idea of how i am going to tie the interior wall
going down the middle of the room to either side of the walls, my
question is what would be a good way to
fasten the bottom sill to the floor. The flooring is 12" X 12" ceramic
with standard underlayment or plywood underneath that. I am not sure
of how to get thru the tile without cracking or breaking it. Thanks
for listening :)

Edwin Pawlowski July 6th 07 03:51 PM

Interior renovations.

"Pelletier" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a 14' X 18' dining room that i am going to split into two
rooms.

Rooms? At 14 x 9, they are a bit more than closets. Make the wall easily
removable because it may devalue the house as it is. Enloy the space as you
see fit but make it easier for hte nest owner to remove it.

I have a good idea of how i am going to tie the interior wall
going down the middle of the room to either side of the walls, my
question is what would be a good way to
fasten the bottom sill to the floor. The flooring is 12" X 12" ceramic
with standard underlayment or plywood underneath that. I am not sure
of how to get thru the tile without cracking or breaking it. Thanks
for listening :)

Given that it is not a load bearing wall, I'd drill and put a couple of
anchors. Between the tie at the ceiling and sides, it needs little bottom
support.

DerbyDad03 July 6th 07 04:02 PM

Interior renovations.

On 6 Jul, 10:26, Pelletier wrote:
I have a 14' X 18' dining room that i am going to split into two
rooms. I have a good idea of how i am going to tie the interior wall
going down the middle of the room to either side of the walls, my
question is what would be a good way to
fasten the bottom sill to the floor. The flooring is 12" X 12" ceramic
with standard underlayment or plywood underneath that. I am not sure
of how to get thru the tile without cracking or breaking it. Thanks
for listening :)

Any borg or tile shop will carry drill bits made for drilling through
ceramic tile, although for the limited use you need, I try a borg
first - much cheaper. Put an X of masking tape where you want to drill
to help prevent the bit from walking before you break through the
glaze.

My suggestion is to buy a bit and a few pieces of orphan tiles of
similiar material and thickness. Practice drilling through the orphans
before you put bit to finished floor. I did this when I installed a
pedestal sink over tile in my bathroom. Once I had a feel for drilling
the scrap tile, I was much more confident when I attacked the real
floor. I drilled slightly oversized holes in the tile so I didn't have
to be concerned with exact position of the base. The tile isn't going
to hold the sill in the place, the fastener through the joists are, so
the hole in the tile can be bigger than it needs to be to allow for
easier alignment.

Of course, if you are lucky enough to be able to position the wall
over a grout line, then it should be much easier.

Pat July 6th 07 05:31 PM

Interior renovations.

On Jul 6, 10:26 am, Pelletier wrote:
I have a 14' X 18' dining room that i am going to split into two
rooms. I have a good idea of how i am going to tie the interior wall
going down the middle of the room to either side of the walls, my
question is what would be a good way to
fasten the bottom sill to the floor. The flooring is 12" X 12" ceramic
with standard underlayment or plywood underneath that. I am not sure
of how to get thru the tile without cracking or breaking it. Thanks
for listening :)

It's not going to be a hold wall, so it really doesn't matter what you
do as long as it doesn't topple over on you and kill someone. Also,
if you're not expecting someone to be playing football in the room,
it's not like it's holding back a herd of trampling cattle.

If you anchor it well to the sides and the top, I'm willing to bet
just a couple of screws in the bottom will suffice to keep the wall
from kicking out. Drill through the grout so you can fix it later.

If I were worried about the tile, I think I'd consider using an
adhesive to hold the wood in place. All you're really doing is
holding it so that it doesn't move when you hit it with the vacuum
cleaner.

Kate July 7th 07 12:21 PM

Interior renovations.

I would suggest buying a screen, something decorative that would fold up.
Like in the old movies that the gals would hide behind when they dressed.
Turning the room into two such tiny little spaces will be claustrophobic at
best.

Kate

ps.com...

aspasia July 7th 07 05:18 PM

Interior renovations.

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 06:21:31 -0500, "Kate" wrote:

I would suggest buying a screen, something decorative that would fold up.
Like in the old movies that the gals would hide behind when they dressed.
Turning the room into two such tiny little spaces will be claustrophobic at
best.

Kate

I agree with Kate about tiny spaces. What about a sliding divider
such as used in hotel banquet rooms? Or pocket doors if there's
room. Either option -- and there must be more that an experienced
builder could recommend -- leaves you the possibility of re-opening
the space if future needs dictate.

Aspasia

ups.com...

HeyBub July 7th 07 11:01 PM

Interior renovations.

Kate wrote:
I would suggest buying a screen, something decorative that would fold
up. Like in the old movies that the gals would hide behind when they
dressed. Turning the room into two such tiny little spaces will be
claustrophobic at best.

Kate

That may be part of the plan. Think in-laws moving in...