Posted to alt.home.repair

Default air conditoning

I live in an small apartment with my grandfather and mother we would
like to install a home air condtioner but we shopped around that we
should not have any problems installing it. The one we looke at has
8,000 btus and we do not have enough power to run the ac Should I have
an electrican to look at my place to see I can install an ac in my
apartment I want to install a unit that meant to go on the windows.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 12:11 am, "
wrote:
I live in an small apartment with my grandfather and mother we would
like to install a home air condtioner but we shopped around that we
should not have any problems installing it. The one we looke at has
8,000 btus and we do not have enough power to run the ac Should I have
an electrican to look at my place to see I can install an ac in my
apartment I want to install a unit that meant to go on the windows.

the 8,000 for 3 people may be too small to begin with, please first
see:
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...properly_sized
second, the landlord may thrilled for you to hire his approved
electrician to install a new circuit for 110v or 220v if needed
depending on the air conditioner manual.
it will all be at your expense including a permit, and per your lease,
if allowed.
you may need permission, and you may need more than one unit and
outlet to do the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 4, 9:41 pm, CJT wrote:
wrote:
I live in an small apartment with my grandfather and mother we would
like to install a home air condtioner but we shopped around that we
should not have any problems installing it. The one we looke at has
8,000 btus and we do not have enough power to run the ac Should I have
an electrican to look at my place to see I can install an ac in my
apartment I want to install a unit that meant to go on the windows.

I think your landlord would want to be involved in anything requiring
an electrician.

Thank you for the friendly reply. I will call the landlord tommorow.
Another person told me that it would not be able to because the ac
needs to on its own circut breaker does that person know what he is
talking about I went to Home depot and asked around and one of
salespeople told me this he said that you might need more power to
run the ac.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 4, 10:22 pm, buffalobill wrote:
On Jul 5, 12:11 am, "
wrote:

[...]

I guess that I will stick to my fan and keep the windows closed

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Thank you for the friendly reply. I will call the landlord tommorow.
Another person told me that it would not be able to because the ac
needs to on its own circut breaker does that person know what he is
talking about I went to Home depot and asked around and one of
salespeople told me this he said that you might need more power to
run the ac.

While it is best to be on its own circuit it is possible to run a 10,000 Btu
AC on a circuit that is only using a couple of lights. If there are other
appliances, then no.

Posted to alt.home.repair

While it is best to be on its own circuit it is possible to run a 10,000 Btu
AC on a circuit that is only using a couple of lights. If there are other
appliances, then no.

I agree. A 10,000 BTU a/c uses approx 10 amps. If you have a 20 amp
circuit with light load, you could get away with it. If it was a 15
amp circuit, I'm not sure it would hold when the compressor initially
starts up.

It's very possible a dedicated outlet already exists. Have someone
turn off each breaker and see if anything else is on that outlet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

lets remember its possible to avoid running other things when the AC
is on, this avoids overloading circuits.

I did thisd for years here, because our main panel was maxed out/.

ots safe and effective but inconvenient.

does the apartment have a washing machine? washer could share a
circuit with the AC, with a appropiate extension cord.

there are a variety of work arounds,

Posted to alt.home.repair

CJT wrote:

wrote:

I live in an small apartment with my grandfather and mother we would
like to install a home air condtioner but we shopped around that we
should not have any problems installing it. The one we looked at has
8,000 btuh and we do not have enough power to run the ac. Should I have
an electrican to look at my place to see I can install an ac in my
apartment I want to install a unit that meant to go on the windows.

I think your landlord would want to be involved in anything requiring
an electrician.

If you can move enough air through the Evaporator coil & through the
other rooms back to the AC, you will be amazed at the area you can cool
with a good 8,000-BTUH window AC.
http://www.udarrell.com/aircondition...harting.h tml

800-Sq.Ft. with a 6,000-BTUH @ 104 Heat Index.
DISCLAIMER:
I assume NO responsibility for the USE of any information I post on any
of my Web pages, in E-Mails or News Groups.
All HVAC/R work should always be done by a licensed Contractor &
properly licensed Techs! This information is only placed on these pages
primarily for your understanding & communication with contractors &
techs. This information is also for the edification of Contractors and
Techs. Never attempt anything that you are NOT competent to do in a SAFE
manner! I am NOT liable for your screw-ups, you are liable for what you
do! - udarrell.com - Darrell U.

- udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/

http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm
(My Airconditioning Links, Hunting Shooting, Angus Cattle, etc.)

http://www.udarrell.com/principled_a...ju stice.html

http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html

http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html

http://www.antiwar.com/ ***

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!

Posted to alt.home.repair

with a good 8,000-BTUH window AC.http://www.udarrell.com/aircondition...ure_btuh_chart...

http://www.udarrell.com/principled_a...s_administrati...

http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html

http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html

http://www.antiwar.com/***

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!

What about celing fans they save alot more enegry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 4:37 am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 05:42:19 +0000, CJT wrote:
wrote:

On Jul 4, 9:41 pm, CJT wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That might be true. It all depends on the specifics of what you have
and what you need to install.

That might maybe possibly could be depends on almost sometimes not quite
supposedly.....................

Nice when you can answer safely and only appear to know what your talking
about isn't it?

The /best/ advice is OP needs to have his landlord take care of
this....period.- Hide quoted text -

What about central air is that a better soultlon I can ask my landlord
to install the airconditioner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

What about central air is that a better soultlon I can ask my landlord
to install the airconditioner.

Central air is great, but not suited for every building. You need ducts for
supply and return. If you have hot air heat, that is practical, if you have
hot water heat and no ducts, it is very expensive to install them.

If your landlord decides to install central, you, in the end, are going to
be paying for it.

If I was renting, I'd go for a window unit, at least for the bedroom so I
could sleep They are usually small and will operate in existing circuits
with no problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jul 4, 9:41 pm, CJT wrote:

wrote:

[...]

If you have central forced air heating then yes central air
conditioning would be the way to go.- Hide quoted text -

I called my landlord he said that the socket must be changed and we
should get a unit that is 110 volts. He is comming to change to socket
tommorow.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

wrote:

On Jul 4, 9:41 pm, CJT wrote:

wrote:

[...]

??? That's a bit odd.

I hope for your sake he knows what he's doing.

If you see him changing breakers, you might want to get a second opinion
from a licensed electrician.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jul 4, 9:41 pm, CJT wrote:

wrote:

[...]

minimize spam. Our true address is of the form .- Hide quoted text -

He is just going to change the socket. The salesperson said that we
should be fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 10:54 pm, "
wrote:

wrote:

On Jul 4, 9:41 pm, CJT wrote:

wrote:

[...]

should be fine.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know what he is accomplishing by just changing the outlet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:

I don't know what he is accomplishing by just changing the outlet.

Probably easier than cutting off the grounding plug.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Mikepier wrote:

I don't know what he is accomplishing by just changing the outlet.

Probably easier than cutting off the grounding plug.

I was thinking the same thing, but with a new outlet, hopefully it is going
to have a good contact and ground perhaps alleviating any poor condition
problems that did exist.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Mikepier wrote:

On Jul 5, 10:54 pm, "
wrote:

wrote:

On Jul 4, 9:41 pm, CJT wrote:

wrote:

[...]

He's probably putting in one that will accommodate a high amp plug.
You've probably seen them -- the ones with one prong turned 90 degrees.
The problem arises if the wiring isn't appropriate to such a socket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 6, 3:02 pm, CJT wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
On Jul 5, 10:54 pm, "
wrote:

wrote:

On Jul 4, 9:41 pm, CJT wrote:

wrote:

[...]

What is the standard size of the socket?

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

wrote:

snip

compa

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...UOley%253AS%7E

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...UOley%253AS%7E

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 22:23:07 -0700, "
wrote:

On Jul 4, 9:41 pm, CJT wrote:
wrote:
I live in an small apartment with my grandfather and mother we would
like to install a home air condtioner but we shopped around that we
should not have any problems installing it. The one we looke at has
8,000 btus and we do not have enough power to run the ac Should I have
an electrican to look at my place to see I can install an ac in my
apartment I want to install a unit that meant to go on the windows.

I think your landlord would want to be involved in anything requiring
an electrician.

Thank you for the friendly reply. I will call the landlord tommorow.
Another person told me that it would not be able to because the ac
needs to on its own circut breaker does that person know what he is
talking about

In most cases in this world, even a person who is wrong has some
decent reason for saying what he does. The most common problem is that
people tend to exaggerate, to think their own experience and what they
learned from it, valid in their case, applies everywhere.

The important thing is that you don't use fuses or circuit breakers
that are too big for the wiring.

Then, if you are able to use an AC without exceeding the receptacle's
wiring, and you don't trip the breaker too often, you're probably ok.

I don't remember how big 8000 btu is or how many amps it takes, but I
doubt the small AC that I used for a while was that big. It was a
real portable, which I could carry pretty easily with one arm, from
its handle, and I only tried to AC a room that was 7 x 12 feet.

But it was big enough to cool that on a 15 amp circuit, in an
apartment that had two 15-amp Fusestats (sp?), and a limit of 20 amps
total, with a 20 amp Fustat in the basement. Of course the only
other high use item I had was a refrigerator. Other than the computer
and the clothes dryer and the sad electric stove, that's the only big
thing I have now.

I went to Home depot and asked around and one of
salespeople told me this he said that you might need more power to
run the ac.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 22:02:29 GMT, CJT wrote:

If you see him changing breakers, you might want to get a second opinion
from a licensed electrician.

minimize spam. Our true address is of the form .- Hide quoted text -

He is just going to change the socket. The salesperson said that we
should be fine.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know what he is accomplishing by just changing the outlet.

He's probably putting in one that will accommodate a high amp plug.
You've probably seen them -- the ones with one prong turned 90 degrees.

I've seen the receptacles (or outlets. Sockets are really for
lightbulbs, but at least they are female, so it's a better term than
"plugs" that some people call them, believe it or not!)

But I don't think I've ever seen a room AC, or a portable AC with that
kind of plug. Would he change the outlet to one with one T shaped
slot when he could just tell the OP to buy one that is 15 amps or
less?

The problem arises if the wiring isn't appropriate to such a socket.

So OP, let us know if the outlet he puts in has one straight slot and
one T-shaped one, on its side.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 15:38:09 -0000, "
wrote:

What about celing fans they save alot more enegry.

Better than that are table fans or maybe window fans. Where do you
live?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 22:40:28 -0700, "
wrote:

I guess that I will stick to my fan and keep the windows closed

When I recommended a fan, above, I had in mind to keep some of the
windows open, but it depends so much on the details, the floor plan,
the available windows, the prevailing wind, how much the normal wind
or breeze is, how often it is still out, how much the windows are
shaded by trees or other buildings, the sources of heat including
poorly insulated attics and how much cooking is done indoors during
the summer. Even keeping the refrigerator door open a lot adds heat
to the kitchen and thus the apartment, because the fridge has to run
to cool off the inside again, and that puts out heat, more heat than
the cool tthat the air from the fridge puts into the kitchen.

Sometimes the room is cooler just by keeping the windows shut, but
sometimes either I can't take the closed in feeling (present with AC
too, unless it's really hot otherwise) and sometimes I know tehre
would be a breeze if I opened the window, especially after 4 or 8 pm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 6, 10:07 pm, CJT wrote:
wrote:

snip

compa

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...?item=8491§ion...

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...?item=3275§ion...

If it's a 20A circuit, then technically that is the outlet that should
be used, but in all honesty for an 8,000 BTU a/c a regular 15A outlet
would work fine ( providing no other heavy loads on that circuit).
Once you get into the 10,000+ BTU range, thats when you should be
concerned about current draw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 4:40 am, Mikepier wrote:
On Jul 6, 10:07 pm, CJT wrote:

wrote:

snip

compa

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...?item=8491§ion...

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...?item=3275§ion...

If it's a 20A circuit, then technically that is the outlet that should
be used, but in all honesty for an 8,000 BTU a/c a regular 15A outlet
would work fine ( providing no other heavy loads on that circuit).
Once you get into the 10,000+ BTU range, thats when you should be
concerned about current draw.

I just intsalled the ac but I got an adapter for the ac the ac is
plugged in to the adpater and all of my other products are plugged in
to the surge protector.