Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaky outdoor faucet -- bigger problem?

I have a leaky outdoor faucet. It is one of three outside faucets I have at
my house. There are two in the front of the house that I can see are
threaded onto the pipe. The third faucet (the leaking one) I assumed is
threaded also, but it is difficult to see behind the bibb part of the
faucet, but there is definitely a nut type fitting there.

With a wrench on that and another on the faucet itself I tried to unscrew
the faucet, but instead the entire pipe turned inside the wall (apparently
had the incorrect size wrench on the back of the faucet). I may have turned
the entire pipe inside the wall as much as 90 degrees counter clockwise.
The pipe is copper. While I turned it back to normal, (never could get the
*&^*%$ faucet off), I am now paranoid I may have crimped or twisted the pipe
enough inside the wall for it to be leaking. I did not notice or hear water
when I turned the water back on, but if it is a slow drip.... Is there a
way to tell short of the siding rotting out in a few months? The room
behind the faucet is a utility room, which I guess I could tear into the
wall if necessary (sigh). How do I get the faucet off?

Thanks for any ideas..
Dukester

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 9:09?pm, "Dukester" wrote:
[...]

first whats wrong with the faucet? leaky at stem tighten packing nut a
1/2 turn? bad washer etc.

once you fix faucet turn water on, outside valve off, then turn inside
valve off, wait a couple days see if you hear water run when you turn
supply valve back on.

a low tech way to test for leaks

the faucet is likely sweated err soldered to the pipe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dukester" wrote in message
[...]

What hallerb said is correct. However, considering your lack of knowledge
about how the faucet's attached to the pipe, I suspect that what he said is
beyond your understanding at this stage. I'd strongly suggest that you go to
a plumbing supply or real hardware store, take a faucet off the display and
ask someone to show you how to disassemble and rebuilt it. Otherwise, you
may have a trout pond in your basement next.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 20:09:08 -0500, "Dukester"
wrote:

I have a leaky outdoor faucet. It is one of three outside faucets I have at
my house. There are two in the front of the house that I can see are
threaded onto the pipe. The third faucet (the leaking one) I assumed is

Whbere is it leaking.

threaded also, but it is difficult to see behind the bibb part of the
faucet, but there is definitely a nut type fitting there.

With a wrench on that and another on the faucet itself I tried to unscrew
the faucet, but instead the entire pipe turned inside the wall (apparently
had the incorrect size wrench on the back of the faucet). I may have turned
the entire pipe inside the wall as much as 90 degrees counter clockwise.
The pipe is copper. While I turned it back to normal, (never could get the
*&^*%$ faucet off), I am now paranoid I may have crimped or twisted the pipe
enough inside the wall for it to be leaking. I did not notice or hear water
when I turned the water back on, but if it is a slow drip.... Is there a
way to tell short of the siding rotting out in a few months? The room

Have you looked at the pipe from the inside?

I doubt very much if the pipe terminates in the wall.

You think you actually twisted the whole pipe to bend it. Did you
feel it "give", resist turning and then pretty suddenly turn much more
easily? Was it harder to turn back than it had been to turn the first
time (not counting when it wouldn't turn at all)? Yeses to these
questions would be signs of twisting, if twisting is possible

Can you stick something into the hole from the inside of the house,
parallel to, next to, below the pipe. When you pull it out, is it
wet?

behind the faucet is a utility room, which I guess I could tear into the
wall if necessary (sigh). How do I get the faucet off?

Other people know that.

Thanks for any ideas..
Dukester

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 6:09 pm, "Dukester" wrote:
[...]

if it is a copper pipe that turned as much as 90 degrees, then I would
open that wall because a solder joint was probably bent and it could
result in a leak inside the wall and cause lots of damage if left to
run for a prolonged period.. and youll be able to just cut the old
pipe and faucet off and replace it..

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is why I like galvanized pipe instead of copper. I've seen this type of
thing happen too many times.

Anyway best to tear apart the wall and see what has happened inside. You
will sleep better.

And while wall torn apart, you can go ahead and replace the copper pipe with
galvanized to a certain point where you can clamp it to a stud. Maybe
install an elbow and go up a few inches with galvanized and clamp it down.

Then won't have to worry about this happening again!

I would look at this as a good learning experience. Can learn a bit about
plumbing. Redesigning things so they are easier to fix in the future. And a
bit of drywalling to boot.

This is the way repair goes. Sometimes you have a good day and things are
easy to fix - no problems. Other times one repair job which you think will
cost $10 turns out to be a $100 repair job! But I would rather spend the 2
cents ($100) and do it right.

"Dukester" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
This is why I like galvanized pipe instead of copper. I've seen this type
of thing happen too many times.

A trip to the library would've prevented the problem entirely.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rex Rex is offline

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 13:45:26 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
This is why I like galvanized pipe instead of copper. I've seen this type
of thing happen too many times.

A trip to the library would've prevented the problem entirely.

You gotta be kidding. A trip to the library before you unscrew a
faucet? Sheeesh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
This is why I like galvanized pipe instead of copper. I've seen this
type
of thing happen too many times.

A trip to the library would've prevented the problem entirely.

You gotta be kidding. A trip to the library before you unscrew a
faucet? Sheeesh.

Obvious to you and I, but not to the guy who may have wrecked his pipes.
Five minutes with a repair book would've prevented this.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rex Rex is offline

wrote:

[...]

Look for green mold.

I'd just unscrew it again all the way off. Whatever happens,
happens. Then just put the new faucet (and pipe) back with lots of
plumbers helper or teflon tape, your choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 2, 9:45?am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

This is why I like galvanized pipe instead of copper. I've seen this type
of thing happen too many times.

A trip to the library would've prevented the problem entirely.

so your happy having to replace the galvanized when it rusts, clogs or
leaks.

theres no reason you cant use copper, or PEX for that matter

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Obvious to you and I, but not to the guy who may have wrecked his
pipes. Five minutes with a repair book would've prevented this.

And you think you'll find a repair book at a library? Oh you'll find the
best sellers, paperback historical romances, hand-puppets, video games, art
work, and discussion classes, but not repair books.

Heck, there's even one library (in Berkely, where else) where you can check
out tools such as gasoline post-hole diggers, compressors, paint-sprayers,
chain saws, scaffolding, ladders, etc.

But they don't have repair books either.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

HeyBub wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Obvious to you and I, but not to the guy who may have wrecked his
pipes. Five minutes with a repair book would've prevented this.

And you think you'll find a repair book at a library? Oh you'll find the
best sellers, paperback historical romances, hand-puppets, video games, art
work, and discussion classes, but not repair books.

Heck, there's even one library (in Berkely, where else) where you can check
out tools such as gasoline post-hole diggers, compressors, paint-sprayers,
chain saws, scaffolding, ladders, etc.

But they don't have repair books either.

Pretty unusual (but then again, that would be Berekely) for a
general-circulation library in my experience to not have at least a
moderate collection of such...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Obvious to you and I, but not to the guy who may have wrecked his
pipes. Five minutes with a repair book would've prevented this.

And you think you'll find a repair book at a library? Oh you'll find the
best sellers, paperback historical romances, hand-puppets, video games,
art work, and discussion classes, but not repair books.

Heck, there's even one library (in Berkely, where else) where you can
check out tools such as gasoline post-hole diggers, compressors,
paint-sprayers, chain saws, scaffolding, ladders, etc.

But they don't have repair books either.

Are you saying that in or around San Francisco, the libraries do not carry
books on home repair in general, and specifically plumbing?

A Leaky Faucet Jeff Home Repair 2 June 26th 06 01:43 PM
leaky faucet badgolferman Home Repair 1 November 16th 05 01:24 PM
Leaky Tub Faucet Trim P-Did Home Ownership 1 January 5th 05 09:32 PM
leaky shower faucet [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 30th 04 10:48 PM
leaky kitchen faucet kep1113 Home Repair 1 November 19th 03 02:23 PM