Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is this mold?

Tenant complain about mold in the house in an area under the window where
some faint black spots about the area of one square foot each were on the
surface on the sheetrock. Washed with bleach but the spots reappeared. I'm
pretty sure this is mold.

I then remove the sheetrock to inspect the inside wall area. This wall
cavity looks dry but I'm sure there was some water intrusion from the old
aluminum window above. There are some faint pinkish or reddish blotches on
the other side of the sheetrock. I peel the sheetrock paper off on the back
side and the pinkish/reddish color did not penetrate through. Is this
pinkish/reddish stain mold or some funky sheetrock used in the old days?
There are no water spots. I don't want to rip out the whole wall if its not
mold. Sheetrock at lease 35 years old. Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 8:51 am, "** Frank **" wrote:
Tenant complain about mold in the house in an area under the window where
some faint black spots about the area of one square foot each were on the
surface on the sheetrock. Washed with bleach but the spots reappeared. I'm
pretty sure this is mold.

I then remove the sheetrock to inspect the inside wall area. This wall
cavity looks dry but I'm sure there was some water intrusion from the old
aluminum window above. There are some faint pinkish or reddish blotches on
the other side of the sheetrock. I peel the sheetrock paper off on the back
side and the pinkish/reddish color did not penetrate through. Is this
pinkish/reddish stain mold or some funky sheetrock used in the old days?
There are no water spots. I don't want to rip out the whole wall if its not
mold. Sheetrock at lease 35 years old. Any ideas?

Information about location in the house (bath, kitchen, etc) &
location of the house would be helpful as well as some photos.

How big were the spots? How quickly did they return?

Mold needs moisture & food (not much) ....eliminate the moisture & the
mold will not come back.

A paint additive for mold will help but the real problem is moisture.

I think people are over reacting these days when they see mold...a few
small spots should be handled with beach, let dry, repaint....gone
unless there is a continuing moisture source.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

** Frank ** wrote:
Tenant complain about mold in the house in an area under the window where
some faint black spots about the area of one square foot each were on the
surface on the sheetrock. Washed with bleach but the spots reappeared. I'm
pretty sure this is mold.

I then remove the sheetrock to inspect the inside wall area. This wall
cavity looks dry but I'm sure there was some water intrusion from the old
aluminum window above. There are some faint pinkish or reddish blotches on
the other side of the sheetrock. I peel the sheetrock paper off on the back
side and the pinkish/reddish color did not penetrate through. Is this
pinkish/reddish stain mold or some funky sheetrock used in the old days?
There are no water spots. I don't want to rip out the whole wall if its not
mold. Sheetrock at lease 35 years old. Any ideas?

Replace the sheetrock you took out with the new mold resistant type.
The cost difeerential is nominal, and the mold (if real) will never
return. It's a win-win solution for you and your tenant. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 08:51:03 -0700, "** Frank **"
wrote:

Tenant complain about mold in the house in an area under the window where
some faint black spots about the area of one square foot each were on the
surface on the sheetrock. Washed with bleach but the spots reappeared. I'm
pretty sure this is mold.

I then remove the sheetrock to inspect the inside wall area. This wall
cavity looks dry but I'm sure there was some water intrusion from the old
aluminum window above. There are some faint pinkish or reddish blotches on
the other side of the sheetrock. I peel the sheetrock paper off on the back
side and the pinkish/reddish color did not penetrate through. Is this
pinkish/reddish stain mold or some funky sheetrock used in the old days?
There are no water spots. I don't want to rip out the whole wall if its not
mold. Sheetrock at lease 35 years old. Any ideas?

IMHO: I suggest you hire a certified mold inspector. They will have
area inspected, and take samples for testing.

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

paint over it will kilz & move on with your life. there's mold everywhere.