Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

Default What for??

Ok, I admit it, I'm a packrat and save anything I might possibly use
in the next 30 years. I just trashed out an electric edger that had a
good dc motor. The motor just looked at me with those sad brushes and
said "save me". Now what can I use it for? And what are the
advantages of a dc motor vs an ac motor?

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

KC writes:

And what are the advantages of a dc motor vs an ac motor?

Speed control via voltage, while torque is independently controlled by
current.

You may have a "universal" type motor, not necessarily DC.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Jun 30, 10:06 pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
KC writes:
And what are the advantages of a dc motor vs an ac motor?

Speed control via voltage, while torque is independently controlled by
current.

You may have a "universal" type motor, not necessarily DC.

AC comes into a bridge rectifier attached to the motor. The output of
the bridge goes to the motor. I am assuming that is a DC driven motor,
but with no apparent way of varying the voltage. Constant torque for
varying loads???

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

KC writes:

Constant torque for varying loads???

You mean varying torque for constant speed. Yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KC writes:
And what are the advantages of a dc motor vs an ac motor?

Speed control via voltage, while torque is independently controlled by
current.

You may have a "universal" type motor, not necessarily DC.

AC comes into a bridge rectifier attached to the motor. The output of
the bridge goes to the motor. I am assuming that is a DC driven motor,
but with no apparent way of varying the voltage. Constant torque for
varying loads???

KC

You can use something like an autotransformer to vary the voltage to the
motor. Or a variable resistor. Or a PWM controller.

Yours aye,
W. Underhill

--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:57:17 -0700, KC wrote:

Ok, I admit it, I'm a packrat and save anything I might possibly use
in the next 30 years. I just trashed out an electric edger that had a
good dc motor. The motor just looked at me with those sad brushes and
said "save me". Now what can I use it for?

Your statement is unclear. Did you trash it as you said, or is it
still there?

You're going to have to come down to the station and make a statement.

If you can't afford counsel, one will be appointed for you.

But this is serious, so you have no right to keep silent.

Lieutenant Friday

People for the Ethical Treatment of Appliances
Regional Enforement Agent

And what are the
advantages of a dc motor vs an ac motor?

About 5 to 10 years. Better get a lawyer.

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Jun 30, 11:19 pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
KC writes:
Constant torque for varying loads???

You mean varying torque for constant speed. Yes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

KC writes:
Constant torque for varying loads???

You mean varying torque for constant speed. Yes.

That's what I meant. Load increases current increases torque
increases speed remains the same.

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

With a DC motor, you can spin the shaft, and it puts out
electricity.

Put the shaft against the wheel of an exercise bike, and keep
batteries charged?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"KC" wrote in message
s.com...
: Ok, I admit it, I'm a packrat and save anything I might
possibly use
: in the next 30 years. I just trashed out an electric edger
that had a
: good dc motor. The motor just looked at me with those sad
brushes and
: said "save me". Now what can I use it for? And what are the
: advantages of a dc motor vs an ac motor?
:
: KC
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 09:25:41 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:57:17 -0700, KC wrote:

Ok, I admit it, I'm a packrat and save anything I might possibly use
in the next 30 years. I just trashed out an electric edger that had a
good dc motor. The motor just looked at me with those sad brushes and
said "save me". Now what can I use it for? And what are the
advantages of a dc motor vs an ac motor?

You could put a propeller on it it and build an airplane to fly around in.

Or turn it into a wind mill and charge batteries.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

KC writes:

Ok, I admit it, I'm a packrat and save anything I might possibly use
in the next 30 years. I just trashed out an electric edger that had a
good dc motor. The motor just looked at me with those sad brushes and
said "save me". Now what can I use it for? And what are the
advantages of a dc motor vs an ac motor?

OK, stop screwing around and throw that thing out.
While you're at it, clean your room.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

KC wrote:
...And what are the advantages of a dc motor vs an ac motor?

Battery(ies) as power supply w/o inverter comes to mind...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:57:17 -0700, KC wrote:

Ok, I admit it, I'm a packrat and save anything I might possibly use
in the next 30 years. I just trashed out an electric edger that had a
good dc motor. The motor just looked at me with those sad brushes and
said "save me". Now what can I use it for?

Probably the right size to make an edger out of it.

And what are the
advantages of a dc motor vs an ac motor?

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 17:02:27 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:57:17 -0700, KC wrote:

Ok, I admit it, I'm a packrat and save anything I might possibly use
in the next 30 years. I just trashed out an electric edger that had a
good dc motor. The motor just looked at me with those sad brushes and
said "save me". Now what can I use it for?

Probably the right size to make an edger out of it.

Or wait for the motor to "just look" at him with those "sad brushes"
and say something else to enlighten him.

And what are the
advantages of a dc motor vs an ac motor?

KC

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:57:17 -0700, KC wrote:

Ok, I admit it, I'm a packrat and save anything I might possibly use
in the next 30 years. I just trashed out an electric edger that had a
good dc motor. The motor just looked at me with those sad brushes and
said "save me". Now what can I use it for? And what are the
advantages of a dc motor vs an ac motor?

You could put a propeller on it it and build an airplane to fly around in.

Or turn it into a wind mill and charge batteries.

How much do you charge? Is there a separate rate for little batteries?