Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Patching holes in Western Red Cedar Siding

I'll be repainting my Mom's house soon, probably with
Sherwin Williams Duration. However first there are
some holes that need to be patched.

Birds (I think they are mostly grossbeaks) have pecking/
chewing holes in the siding and stuffing grubs inside.
Watching them closely, I am quite sure they are not
woodpeckers and are not feeding on bugs that are
already there. They are using the siding for a larder.

They are pecking the holes along the bottom edges of
the shiplapped Western Red Cedar Siding. The
biggest holes are big enough to stick your thumb
in.

What is a good material to use to patch those holes?
I'm thinking bondo might do the trick.

--

FF

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Jun 29, 1:30 pm, wrote:
I'll be repainting my Mom's house soon, probably with
Sherwin Williams Duration. However first there are
some holes that need to be patched.

Birds (I think they are mostly grossbeaks) have pecking/
chewing holes in the siding and stuffing grubs inside.
Watching them closely, I am quite sure they are not
woodpeckers and are not feeding on bugs that are
already there. They are using the siding for a larder.

They are pecking the holes along the bottom edges of
the shiplapped Western Red Cedar Siding. The
biggest holes are big enough to stick your thumb
in.

What is a good material to use to patch those holes?
I'm thinking bondo might do the trick.

The wood will expand and contract with changes in humidity, the Bondo
won't. Wood also moves with changes in temperature differently than
Bondo (not as much of a factor as the humidity). On the bright side,
it's easy enough to use and sets up quickly. Any spackling in a hole
that big would take a long time to dry to the point where you could
paint it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 29, 1:30 pm, wrote:
[...]

2 years agoI used water putty . I mixed it with a little bit of primer and
painted it the next day its still there.
Concrete patching mix has been used for a looooong time

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Jul 2, 5:01 am, "Mike" wrote:

2 years agoI used water putty . I mixed it with a little bit of primer and
painted it the next day its still there.
Concrete patching mix has been used for a looooong time

I'm surprised because cement retains moisture and commonly
promotes rot in wood in contact with it. It would sure blunt
their beaks though.

--

FF

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 2, 5:01 am, "Mike" wrote:

2 years agoI used water putty . I mixed it with a little bit of primer
and
painted it the next day its still there.
Concrete patching mix has been used for a looooong time

I'm surprised because cement retains moisture and commonly
promotes rot in wood in contact with it. It would sure blunt
their beaks though.

--

FF

I tell ya the first time I heard it from a guy that sells siding I thaught
he was bull ****tin me. But Then another Contractor said the same thing.
paint keeps the cement dry