Posted to alt.home.repair

Default earphones: how to attach new ear-pads to now-bare plastic?

I've got a pair of press-against-ear headphones in which
the foam-pads on each side have fallen off.

I've gone to Radio Shack and got a package of two
replacement pads.

QUESTION: How to attach the new ones to the now-bare
plastic "speakers" that press against each ear.

Glue?

What kind of glue?

(I imagine that some kinds would eat (dissolve) the material
the ear-pad are made of.

THANKS!

David

PS: (No, maybe I am cheap, but I don't want to toss them and
buy new ones; I'd much prefer to fix these. Plus,
I have others in the same condition, and I'll want to
fix them too.)
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 01:54:06 -0400, mm
wrote:

(I imagine that some kinds would eat (dissolve) the material
the ear-pad are made of.

I'm sure. I used contact cement to glue foam rubber to the "stryfoam"
domes that are meant to keep garden faucets from freezing, and the
foam was ok, but it was eating away the "stryofoam" pretty fast.
Fortunately it stopped in time for me to glue things.

It ate the hard foam, the white stuff that looks almost like popped
popcorn mashed together, but not the foam rubber.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

(I imagine that some kinds would eat (dissolve) the material
the ear-pad are made of.

I'm sure. I used contact cement to glue foam rubber to the "stryfoam"
domes that are meant to keep garden faucets from freezing, and the
foam was ok, but it was eating away the "stryofoam" pretty fast.
Fortunately it stopped in time for me to glue things.

It ate the hard foam, the white stuff that looks almost like popped
popcorn mashed together, but not the foam rubber.

Thanks!

I especially liked the idea of cutting them out of larger
pieces/blocks of (soft) foam.

And I guess you're suggesting I use contact cement.

(Does that include eg Duco, Elmers, ...?)

David

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 17:23:28 +0000 (UTC), (David
Combs) wrote:

wrote:

(I imagine that some kinds would eat (dissolve) the material
the ear-pad are made of.

I'm sure. I used contact cement to glue foam rubber to the "stryfoam"
domes that are meant to keep garden faucets from freezing, and the
foam was ok, but it was eating away the "stryofoam" pretty fast.
Fortunately it stopped in time for me to glue things.

It ate the hard foam, the white stuff that looks almost like popped
popcorn mashed together, but not the foam rubber.

Thanks!

I especially liked the idea of cutting them out of larger
pieces/blocks of (soft) foam.

If you figure out how to do that, let me know. The best thing for
cutting foam rubber is an electric knife, not a hot knife but the
thing they sell for cutting a beef roast. But...I haven't tried but I
don't think it would be so good for cutting curves especially on
something as small as earpads. I guess because no knife is very good
at cutting curves.

And I guess you're suggesting I use contact cement.

Not for sure. You brought up glue that eats stuff, and I was just
saying that contact cement ate the hard foam but not the foam rubber.

I use contact cement for gluing cloth, because it bends well, but here
maybe a little drop of 5-minute epoxy in two places on the side or
back of each ear thing would be good. Or even Ambroid Cement which
isn't as strong, but I still consider to be strong, and dries quick
and can be pried off if I have to do it again. (available only in
model and hobby stores.)

(Does that include eg Duco, Elmers, ...?)

Actually, there used to be two kinds of contact cement made by the
same company and they came in two differenct color tubes, red and
white maybe. And I liked one and disliked the other, and I knew which
color was good. But I've lost track.

I guess now I always use the stuff that comes in the brown translucent
plastic bottle, whatever that is, because it's a lot cheaper than the
tube.

David

what to do with bare electrical wires [email protected] Home Repair 10 January 12th 07 06:23 PM
where to attach ground wire in plastic box with heat detector Mike Home Repair 3 March 13th 06 03:22 PM
Bare Plaster Neil Duffy UK diy 4 October 10th 05 12:56 PM
Koss Pro-4 AA earphones ( ear cushion removal) Jacques Carrier Electronics Repair 2 October 28th 04 09:02 PM
Vintage KOSS earphones PRO-4AA buying decision. Jacques Carrier Electronics Repair 13 September 30th 04 05:48 PM