DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   slight oil leak on riding mower..... (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/205001-slight-oil-leak-riding-mower.html)

Dale June 28th 07 01:59 AM

slight oil leak on riding mower.....

I have a B&S engine on my riding mower that has a slight oil leak only
noticeable when I park it in the shed after I use it. It's on the
bottom of the case by the spline end of the engine which is held on by
four bolts. I was wondering, if I loosened these four bolts and popped
the cover slightly, could I squeeze some permatex in there to stop the
drip?

This is more annoying than a major problem and have been dealing with
it for a couple of years now. The mower is out of warrantee but runs
great. Just tired of topping off the oil all the time since I use
synthetic oil.

Any ideas or cautions before I attempt this or shouldn't I even
bother?

Oren June 28th 07 02:59 AM

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 20:59:55 -0400, Dale wrote:

I have a B&S engine on my riding mower that has a slight oil leak only
noticeable when I park it in the shed after I use it. It's on the
bottom of the case by the spline end of the engine which is held on by
four bolts. I was wondering, if I loosened these four bolts and popped
the cover slightly, could I squeeze some permatex in there to stop the
drip?

This is more annoying than a major problem and have been dealing with
it for a couple of years now. The mower is out of warrantee but runs
great. Just tired of topping off the oil all the time since I use
synthetic oil.

Any ideas or cautions before I attempt this or shouldn't I even
bother?

Wrench up the bolts tight.

Continued leak - replace the gasket and wrench up the bolts.

--
Oren