DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   wire size and 200amp service (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/204999-wire-size-200amp-service.html)

[email protected] June 28th 07 01:34 AM

wire size and 200amp service

I am doing a significant kitchen upgrade and the contractor has
recommended that I upgrade the electrical service to 200amp. I've had
3 electricians out to quote on the work---and received 3 very
different opinions and prices. Two have told me it is not necessary
to upgrade the main power line in the house from the meter to the load
center. The other one says I must.

I currently have 150amp service. The meter and the load center are
separated by about 50-feet. The wiring from the meter to the load
center is 2/0 aluminum. I work for a major residential electrical
equipment maker (starts with a "S" and ends with "iemens")...and our
construction sales people tell me that the latest version of NEC
requires 4/0 aluminum wiring for 200amp service.

What is up with 2 of these contractors telling me it is OK to upgrade
without replacing the existing 2/0 wiring?

Is there some sort of grandfather provision in this situation?

If the price difference wasn't so much it would be a no-brainer. But
at $3,500 vs. $750 it's a lot harder to go with the cadillac solution
simple because it is the cadillac solution....

Does anyone have any guidance on the issues and realities of this
situation?

William Underhill June 28th 07 02:21 AM

wrote:
[...]

Hmm. Disclaimer first - I'm a naval electrical technician, not civilian,
so am not intimately familiar with civilian code requirements. Further,
I'm Canadian, and if you're not, some of your code requirements may vary.

That said, check out this website:
http://www.friesen.com/manuals/allow...n%20Free%20Air

Depending on your insulation type and ambient temp, you'd need at least
3/0 to meet the requirements, and 4/0 gives you only a 30-amp safety
margin. As I said, I'm not familiar with the details of the NEC, but in
the Navy we'd be using the 4/0, since we have to assume that all loads
are energized at all times. There may indeed be some kind of
'grandfathering' provision, but I'd rather not create an electrical fire
risk.

Yours aye,
W. Underhill

--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from

Terry June 28th 07 02:44 AM

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:34:42 -0700, wrote:

I am doing a significant kitchen upgrade and the contractor has
recommended that I upgrade the electrical service to 200amp. I've had
3 electricians out to quote on the work---and received 3 very
different opinions and prices. Two have told me it is not necessary
to upgrade the main power line in the house from the meter to the load
center. The other one says I must.

I agree with the 2 that say it is not necessary, unless you are
changing from a gas stove to electric or adding large appliances like
a washer/dryer. You should already have 2 20A circuits in the kitchen
now. This allows plenty of capacity for countertop appliances.

In the unlikely event that you truly do need to upgrade your service
you can always do it later. It should not affect the kitchen remodel.

BTW Having quad receptacles and under counter lights are a good thing
to add while you are at it.

Terry June 28th 07 02:59 AM

wire size and 200amp service

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:34:42 -0700, wrote:

I currently have 150amp service. The meter and the load center are
separated by about 50-feet. The wiring from the meter to the load
center is 2/0 aluminum. I work for a major residential electrical

This should ease your mind. Unless you are using more stuff than the
average 1800 sq ft home owner 150A service is plenty. This page came
up with total load of 110A

http://hometips.com/articles/sunset_...lusage022.html

To understand how the formula works, consider the example of a house
with 1,800 square feet (based on outside dimensions) of finished
living space and space adaptable for future use. The house has the
usual two small-appliance circuits (3,000 watts), a laundry circuit
(1,500 watts), a hot water heater (5,500 watts), a clothes dryer
(5,600 watts), a dishwasher (1,500 watts), a garbage disposal (600
watts), a range (15,000 watts), and a central air conditioner (5,000
watts).

[email protected] June 28th 07 03:39 AM

wire size and 200amp service

http://hometips.com/articles/sunset_...ng/calculate_e...

Thanks this has been helpful...

EXISTING...
3,600 sq-ft = 10,800W
range 15,000
dishwasher 1,500
fridge 1,500
disposal 600
laundry 1,500
dryer 5,500
water heater 5,600
---------------------------
40,500W

(40,500-10,000)*0.4 = 12,200 + 10,000 = 22,200 (add 2 AC = 32,200W /
240 = 134amp

NOW ADD...
2nd refrig 1,500W
2nd disposal 600
2nd oven 1,500
leave some spare capacity for eventually adding a hot tub at
& the 8" jointer I want to get for my woodworking shop (208V @ 20A)

Looks like upgrading to 200A for the new, added appliances is probably
correct.

Tim Smith June 28th 07 04:24 AM

wire size and 200amp service

wrote:

I work for a major residential electrical
equipment maker (starts with a "S" and ends with "iemens")...and our
construction sales people tell me that the latest version of NEC
requires 4/0 aluminum wiring for 200amp service.

They are right

Does it require aluminum? If his current aluminum wiring doesn't meet
the current code and will have to be replaced, should he be considering
switching from aluminum at the same time?

--
--Tim Smith

[email protected] June 28th 07 12:45 PM

On Jun 27, 9:59?pm, Terry wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:34:42 -0700, wrote:
I currently have 150amp service. The meter and the load center are
separated by about 50-feet. The wiring from the meter to the load
center is 2/0 aluminum. I work for a major residential electrical

ahh just for the record that long 50 foot between meter and load
center can cause a voltage drop under heavy whole house loads.

myself if I were adding a addition then upgrading the whole thing is
what i would do, since its a small part of the overall cost and adds
resale value in the future

Doug Miller June 28th 07 12:49 PM

In article , Terry wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:34:42 -0700, wrote:

I am doing a significant kitchen upgrade and the contractor has
recommended that I upgrade the electrical service to 200amp. I've had
3 electricians out to quote on the work---and received 3 very
different opinions and prices. Two have told me it is not necessary
to upgrade the main power line in the house from the meter to the load
center. The other one says I must.

I agree with the 2 that say it is not necessary,

Bzzzzt! Wrong answer, but thanks for playing. It absolutely is. 2/0 aluminum
is rated at 150A max, per NEC Table 310.15(B)(6).

--
Regards,

Doug Miller June 28th 07 01:21 PM

wire size and 200amp service

In article . com, wrote:
[snip]
I currently have 150amp service. The meter and the load center are
separated by about 50-feet. The wiring from the meter to the load
center is 2/0 aluminum.

That is the minimum size rated for 150A.

I work for a major residential electrical
equipment maker (starts with a "S" and ends with "iemens")...and our
construction sales people tell me that the latest version of NEC
requires 4/0 aluminum wiring for 200amp service.

They're right, and not just the latest version, either.

What is up with 2 of these contractors telling me it is OK to upgrade
without replacing the existing 2/0 wiring?

Either they're incompetent, or the wire is actually copper (doubtful). Per
National Electrical Code, minimum size feeder for 200A service is 2/0 copper
or 4/0 aluminum. [2005 NEC, Table 310.15(B)(6)]

Is there some sort of grandfather provision in this situation?

Not relevant. Whatever Code provisions may have been in effect when your
service was installed do not matter: upgrades must meet the Code that's in
effect at the time of the upgrade, not the time of the original installation.

If the price difference wasn't so much it would be a no-brainer. But
at $3,500 vs. $750 it's a lot harder to go with the cadillac solution
simple because it is the cadillac solution....

This isn't a Cadillac vs. Chevrolet situation -- more like Cadillac vs. rusty
tricycle. 2/0 aluminum is neither adequate nor legal for a 200A service, pure
and simple, and anyone who thinks it is should not be trusted to install a
service entrance.

The difference in price between 150' feet (50' run * 3 conductors) of 4/0 vs.
2/0 aluminum won't be much more than about a hundred bucks, if that.

The difference between the $3500 quoted by the guy who says you need 4/0, and
the $750 quoted by the guys who say 2/0 is acceptable, is at least in part the
difference between a qualified electrician and a couple of incompetent hacks.

If you're uncomfortable with the $3500 price (which does seem a bit stiff to
me), then solicit bids from other qualified electricians and compare.

Does anyone have any guidance on the issues and realities of this
situation?

There's no "guidance" involved on the size of the service entrance. The
reality is that using 2/0 aluminum for a 200A service is prohibited by the
NEC. Period.

--
Regards,

[email protected] June 28th 07 01:32 PM

wire size and 200amp service

On Jun 28, 7:21 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article . com, wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Yeah, I couldn't figure out how this huge price difference could be
attributed to replacing one 50 ft service run either.

Pete C. June 28th 07 02:31 PM

wire size and 200amp service

Tim Smith wrote:

wrote:

I work for a major residential electrical
equipment maker (starts with a "S" and ends with "iemens")...and our
construction sales people tell me that the latest version of NEC
requires 4/0 aluminum wiring for 200amp service.

They are right

Does it require aluminum? If his current aluminum wiring doesn't meet
the current code and will have to be replaced, should he be considering
switching from aluminum at the same time?

--
--Tim Smith

That's certainly an option, but not essential. Aluminum wiring is not an
issue for these large gauges, it was only an issue when used in the
small gauge (14-10) general wiring in houses. It's mostly a cost and
personal preference issue as for service entrance use either is
perfectly acceptable. Note that the wire gauge required for a given
service size will be larger for aluminum than for copper.

George June 28th 07 02:53 PM

wrote:
I am doing a significant kitchen upgrade and the contractor has
recommended that I upgrade the electrical service to 200amp. I've had
3 electricians out to quote on the work---and received 3 very
different opinions and prices. Two have told me it is not necessary
to upgrade the main power line in the house from the meter to the load
center. The other one says I must.

I currently have 150amp service. The meter and the load center are
separated by about 50-feet. The wiring from the meter to the load
center is 2/0 aluminum. I work for a major residential electrical
equipment maker (starts with a "S" and ends with "iemens")...and our
construction sales people tell me that the latest version of NEC
requires 4/0 aluminum wiring for 200amp service.

And all of the earlier versions that I know of too...

Bud-- June 28th 07 04:19 PM

William Underhill wrote:

Hmm. Disclaimer first - I'm a naval electrical technician, not civilian,
so am not intimately familiar with civilian code requirements. Further,
I'm Canadian, and if you're not, some of your code requirements may vary.

That said, check out this website:
http://www.friesen.com/manuals/allow...n%20Free%20Air

You actually want table 4 (in conduit/cable) which has even lower amp
ratings.

Depending on your insulation type and ambient temp, you'd need at least
3/0 to meet the requirements, and 4/0 gives you only a 30-amp safety
margin. As I said, I'm not familiar with the details of the NEC, but in
the Navy we'd be using the 4/0, since we have to assume that all loads
are energized at all times. There may indeed be some kind of
'grandfathering' provision, but I'd rather not create an electrical fire
risk.

The US-NEC allows 4/0 Al for 200A residential services. In a residence
all loads are not energized at all times. The major loads, in
particular, cycle on and off. I believe the wire sizes were based on
field studies.

4/0 can not be used for 200A non-residential services where major loads
may be energized all the time.

--
bud--

M Q June 28th 07 08:06 PM

wrote:

[...]

I guess it depends upon:

1) What is meant by "upgrade ... to 200 amp". If it means putting in
a 200 amp panel, but keeping the 150 amp main breaker, you might be OK,
but I wouldn't call that an upgrade.

2) What your local building inspectors think. You are going to get a permit
for this work and it will get inspected. Right? Take a copy of the bids
that you got to the building inspectors office and see what they think.
Whoever you go with, make sure that the contract is written so that
they are on the hook for making it meet the inspectors demands and your
specs without extra charge. I have seen contractors bid stuff that
wouldn't meet code and then try to ding the customer when additional work
is necessary to pass inspection.

While the required wire size depends slightly on things that you didn't tell us,
like the type of insulation, whether these are single conductors suspended in
air, or bundled together in cable or conduit, etc., there is no way
(from my 1990 version of NEC) that you can get 200 amp through aluminum 2/0.

mm June 28th 07 08:51 PM

wire size and 200amp service

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:31:44 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Tim Smith wrote:

wrote:

I work for a major residential electrical
equipment maker (starts with a "S" and ends with "iemens")...and our
construction sales people tell me that the latest version of NEC
requires 4/0 aluminum wiring for 200amp service.

They are right

Does it require aluminum? If his current aluminum wiring doesn't meet
the current code and will have to be replaced, should he be considering
switching from aluminum at the same time?

--
--Tim Smith

That's certainly an option, but not essential. Aluminum wiring is not an
issue for these large gauges, it was only an issue when used in the
small gauge (14-10) general wiring in houses. It's mostly a cost and
personal preference issue as for service entrance use either is

I don't understand "personal preference". It looks good with my eyes?
I have stock in a copper company?

Are the only personal preference possibilities based on the
misunderstanding that aluminum in large gauges is not good,

J.A. Michel June 28th 07 10:28 PM

wire size and 200amp service

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I think I'd find another electrician if I were you. You need 4/0 Aluminum
or 2/0 copper. You choose.
2/0 AL should not be used in a 200A feeder. I put in my own 200A service
and used 2/0 copper.
CU is more expensive than AL, but it was worth it to me. The Power Company
hooked up their side of the meter
with 4/0 AL.

Pete C. June 29th 07 12:01 AM

mm wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:31:44 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Tim Smith wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Aluminum conductors are more flexible than the equivalent copper
conductors and therefore easier to handle, especially for long pulls.
Copper conductors don't need to have anti-ox compound applied to the
connections. Current prices of each material come into play. The
physically smaller space occupied by the copper cable of a given current
rating can be a factor. Bottom line, personal preference as to which
issue are most important to you.

Are the only personal preference possibilities based on the
misunderstanding that aluminum in large gauges is not good,

AL wiring in small gauges and terminated at devices without the proper
ratings is not good.

[email protected] June 29th 07 01:16 AM

wire size and 200amp service

You are going to get a permit for this work and it will get inspected. Right?

1. the two low-ball estimates were proposing to do it without permits
or inspections. This was also a point of discomfort for me. I spoke
with one of these guys and asked about getting doing the work by
getting cable and going through the official process of permits,
inspections, etc. and was told that if I wanted to go that route his
price was going to be just a bit higher than the guy who gave me the
"expected" answer the first time.

2. I think one of my problems with this situation was that I knew too
much. My position with Siemens is the safety manager for our
industrial service group...our folks go out and work on 480V and
4,160V, and 13,800V industrial equipment.

3. The final factor that was in the back of my mind was the fact that
the house next door (built by the same developer) burnt to the ground
6 weeks ago in an apparent electrical system fire.

Doug Miller June 29th 07 01:58 AM

In article .com, wrote:
You are going to get a permit for this work and it will get inspected. Right?

1. the two low-ball estimates were proposing to do it without permits
or inspections. This was also a point of discomfort for me.

It should be. I bet they wanted payment in cash, too.

Anyone who is a qualified and licensed electrician should have no trouble
obtaining a permit, and need fear nothing from an inspection. "No permit"
should be understood as "unlicensed," which in turn implies "unqualified."

"No inspection" should be understood as "unqualified, and knows it."

Consider also that your electric utility company needs to be involved in this
process: the lines from the transformer to the meter base are almost certainly
2/0 aluminum to support the 150A service that they know you currently have.
An upgrade to 200A necessarily includes stringing new 4/0 wire from the
transformer to the meter base -- and they're probably going to want to see a
permit before they reinstall the meter.

I spoke
with one of these guys and asked about getting doing the work by
getting cable and going through the official process of permits,
inspections, etc. and was told that if I wanted to go that route his
price was going to be just a bit higher than the guy who gave me the
"expected" answer the first time.

So in addition to being neither licensed nor qualified, he's dishonest too.

2. I think one of my problems with this situation was that I knew too
much. My position with Siemens is the safety manager for our
industrial service group...our folks go out and work on 480V and
4,160V, and 13,800V industrial equipment.

No such thing as knowing too much. Your knowledge, and that of the people you
consulted at work, saved you from an unsafe installation.

3. The final factor that was in the back of my mind was the fact that
the house next door (built by the same developer) burnt to the ground
6 weeks ago in an apparent electrical system fire.

That could have any number of causes, though. If the house was more than a
couple years old, there's a good chance that the electrical system has seen
some modifications -- possibly by an unqualified homeowner, or maybe even by
one of the incompetent hacks that told you 2/0 aluminum was OK for 200A.

Like I said in my earlier post, the $3500 figure sounds a bit stiff to me. You
might want to solicit bids from one or two more qualified electricians or
contractors for comparison purposes, before you decide to go with that. But I
wouldn't have anything further to do with either of the lowballers.

--
Regards,

mm June 29th 07 06:40 AM

wire size and 200amp service

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 23:01:22 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

I don't understand "personal preference". It looks good with my eyes?
I have stock in a copper company?

Aluminum conductors are more flexible than the equivalent copper
conductors and therefore easier to handle, especially for long pulls.
Copper conductors don't need to have anti-ox compound applied to the
connections. Current prices of each material come into play. The
physically smaller space occupied by the copper cable of a given current
rating can be a factor. Bottom line, personal preference as to which
issue are most important to you.

OK, I get it. Thanks a bunch.

William Underhill June 30th 07 05:36 PM

wrote:

1. the two low-ball estimates were proposing to do it without permits
or inspections. This was also a point of discomfort for me. I spoke
with one of these guys and asked about getting doing the work by
getting cable and going through the official process of permits,
inspections, etc. and was told that if I wanted to go that route his
price was going to be just a bit higher than the guy who gave me the
"expected" answer the first time.

Ah, yes, thus leaving the way open to squeeze you when you went ahead
and had the work inspected. Glad your bull**** detector went off.

2. I think one of my problems with this situation was that I knew too
much. My position with Siemens is the safety manager for our
industrial service group...our folks go out and work on 480V and
4,160V, and 13,800V industrial equipment.

You're exactly the type of customer these fly-by-night artists try to
avoid - the educated one. May not feel up to tackling the work yourself,
but you have the background to know when someone's trying to blow smoke
up your ass. What's a crook to do?

3. The final factor that was in the back of my mind was the fact that
the house next door (built by the same developer) burnt to the ground
6 weeks ago in an apparent electrical system fire.

Yup. Seen a very small electrical fire onboard (had to do the technical
investigation for the Engineering Officer), in the hangar; never want to
see another one.

Yours aye,
W. Underhill