Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore Air Conditioner Question

Hello,

We recently bought a Kenmore 10,000 BTU single-room unit with digital
temperature settings. Before I go to bed, I set the temp at 66
degrees. Before too long, I wake up to find the compressor is not
running because the temp on the air conditioner has increased to 70.
Is this a common problem with Kenmore, or am I doing something wrong??

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phillip

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phillip944 writes:

Before too long, I wake up to find the compressor is not
running because the temp on the air conditioner has increased to 70.

Tell your wife to quit changing the thermostat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Clark" wrote in message

Some window AC units have an "Energy Saver" feature which raises the
thermostat 4 or 5 degrees after a few hours of run time.

RTFM and see if your's does this.

Could also be to prevent the coils from freezing up when the ambient is down
low.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You bought a Sears. That's wrong.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Phillip944" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Hello,
:
: We recently bought a Kenmore 10,000 BTU single-room unit with
digital
: temperature settings. Before I go to bed, I set the temp at 66
: degrees. Before too long, I wake up to find the compressor is
not
: running because the temp on the air conditioner has increased
to 70.
: Is this a common problem with Kenmore, or am I doing something
wrong??
:
: Any info would be appreciated.
:
: Thanks,
: Phillip
:

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:10:02 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Phillip944 writes:

Before too long, I wake up to find the compressor is not
running because the temp on the air conditioner has increased to 70.

Tell your wife to quit changing the thermostat.

She may just tell him to quit changing it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm writes:

Before too long, I wake up to find the compressor is not
running because the temp on the air conditioner has increased to 70.

Tell your wife to quit changing the thermostat.

She may just tell him to quit changing it.

One way or the other, problem solved.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 6:32 pm, Clark wrote:
Phillip944 wrote groups.com:

Hello,

We recently bought a Kenmore 10,000 BTU single-room unit with digital
temperature settings. Before I go to bed, I set the temp at 66
degrees. Before too long, I wake up to find the compressor is not
running because the temp on the air conditioner has increased to 70.
Is this a common problem with Kenmore, or am I doing something wrong??

Any info would be appreciated.

Some window AC units have an "Energy Saver" feature which raises the
thermostat 4 or 5 degrees after a few hours of run time.

RTFM and see if your's does this.

--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Thanks Clark. Problem solved.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 27 Jun 2007 22:32:38 GMT, Clark wrote:

Some window AC units have an "Energy Saver" feature which raises the
thermostat 4 or 5 degrees after a few hours of run time.

I don't even use the AC, and it's been up to 95 out, but this could be
really annoying.

Is one able to turn this feature off, on the ac's that have it?

2 degrees might be ok, but 4 or 5 spans the range from too cold to too
hot. Like 66 which I wouldn't want, to 71, which might be too hot, I
don't remember.

Hmmmm. Is the idea that the thermostat doesn't get exposed to the
real room temp, and it has to have a lower temp for the first while
because it's really hotter elsewhere in the room, but after a few
hours it's actually the same temp everywhere??

RTFM and see if your's does this.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 28 Jun 2007 20:26:40 GMT, Clark wrote:

mm wrote in
:

On 27 Jun 2007 22:32:38 GMT, Clark wrote:

Some window AC units have an "Energy Saver" feature which raises the
thermostat 4 or 5 degrees after a few hours of run time.

I don't even use the AC, and it's been up to 95 out, but this could be
really annoying.

If you don't use the AC how could it be annoying?

If I were ill and had to use it, or if I cracked.

Is one able to turn this feature off, on the ac's that have it?

Don't know. It doesn't bother me.

2 degrees might be ok, but 4 or 5 spans the range from too cold to too
hot. Like 66 which I wouldn't want, to 71, which might be too hot, I
don't remember.

Hmmmm. Is the idea that the thermostat doesn't get exposed to the
real room temp, and it has to have a lower temp for the first while
because it's really hotter elsewhere in the room, but after a few
hours it's actually the same temp everywhere??

The idea is that room airconditioners are typically used in bedrooms and at
night. After a couple hours of sleep then one won't notice if the

I see. That makes sense.

temperature is increased a bit. Obviously not everyone has the same
tolerances so some people will notice.

A couple degrees ok, but I think 4 or five degrees would be too much
for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote
wrote:

Some window AC units have an "Energy Saver" feature which raises the
thermostat 4 or 5 degrees after a few hours of run time.

I don't even use the AC, and it's been up to 95 out, but this could be
really annoying.

Is one able to turn this feature off, on the ac's that have it?

==
Yes. Settings are : COOL or ENERGY SAVER (No, I'm not shouting.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
You bought a Sears. That's wrong.

==
Mine is 5+ years. Works well and has performed flawlessly for 4 years past
warranty. Gotta be a record of some kind.