Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wall Corner under shower is rotting

Hi all, this is my first post here and I am hoping to learn a lot about home
repair. I bought this house last August and it was build in 2001. This is
my first issue with the home. I have a glass enclosed walk in shower about
5x5 feet. I noticed that on the outside of the shower, on the bottom right
corner, the wall area is turning brown and is degrading. It seems that water
is leaking into the wall section. Should I just recaulk or grout that area
inside the shower and will I need to replace the corner wall? What would be
the best solution to waterproof the inside of the shower was well as to
replace that section of the wall that has been damaged. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

You will need to open up the corner and look at the back of the shower wall
to see what is happening. It could be a leaky pipe, poorly built shower
wall, or poorly built shower base. Any fixing on the inside of the shower
will at best, buy you some time. Probably will soon need to tear down and
replace the wall/base with proper waterproof materials so that it won't
leak, before rot or mould takes over in the house structure.

"asantodo" u35391@uwe wrote in message news:7453ff2833d8e@uwe...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Opening the wall is important because you don't know how big the problem is.
It might be larger then it appears.
Caulking will only put off the problem. Tom