Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default built in vacuum pipes

I need to lower a grey plastic pipe for my whole house vacuum. I kind of
remember the installer telling me that it was just PVC with a grey color
instead of white. Anyone know whether that is true for sure because it
would obviously be easier to get the joints I need at Lowes if it is just
plain old pvc. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art writes:

I need to lower a grey plastic pipe for my whole house vacuum. I kind
of remember the installer telling me that it was just PVC with a grey
color instead of white. Anyone know whether that is true for sure
because it would obviously be easier to get the joints I need at Lowes
if it is just plain old pvc.

It is PVC, thinner and weaker than plumbing or conduit PVC. Dunno if the
plumbing fittings interchange, but if so, they could only be stronger.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art wrote:
I need to lower a grey plastic pipe for my whole house vacuum. I kind of
remember the installer telling me that it was just PVC with a grey color
instead of white. Anyone know whether that is true for sure because it
would obviously be easier to get the joints I need at Lowes if it is just
plain old pvc. Thanks.

It is indeed PVC, but not plain old PVC. Whole house vacuum
pipes are not the same size as standard fittings (such as WDV
or schedule 40). You will have to find a supplier that
carries the specific fittings for vacuum pipe.

Here is one supplier;

http://builtinvacuum.com/install_sho...-fittings.html

Search for central vacuum pipe or systems.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art wrote:

I need to lower a grey plastic pipe for my whole house vacuum. I kind of
remember the installer telling me that it was just PVC with a grey color
instead of white. Anyone know whether that is true for sure because it
would obviously be easier to get the joints I need at Lowes if it is just
plain old pvc. Thanks.

Hi,
HD will have those.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I need to lower a grey plastic pipe for my whole house vacuum. I kind of
remember the installer telling me that it was just PVC with a grey color
instead of white. Anyone know whether that is true for sure because it
would obviously be easier to get the joints I need at Lowes if it is just
plain old pvc. Thanks.

Its PVC but not same size as the standard stuff..You 'll have to go to a
vacuum store to get the proper size
Hi, HD will have those.

In CANADA, HD carries that stuff..In the USA..never saw it there