Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace Under Cabinet Lighting?

Basically for as long as I can remember these lights (at my parents
house) have been burning out constantly. They are from 1974 and IMO
they need to be replaced. Should we call somebody to do it, or can
they be done by somebody who can replace electrical outlets and
switches?
I'm not Bob Villa, but I do know how to use tools and the like. Here
is what they look like:

http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?i...11largehc4.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

You might want to either use an existing outlet or put an outlet where the
old lamps get their juice and replace the incandescent stuff with LED or
fluorescent "fixtures."

You can get very efficient and very bright "hockey puck" type LED fixtures
or compact fluorescent fixtures from your "big box" hardware store and even
Wal-Mart.

"Edward" wrote in message
oups.com...
Basically for as long as I can remember these lights (at my parents
house) have been burning out constantly. They are from 1974 and IMO
they need to be replaced. Should we call somebody to do it, or can
they be done by somebody who can replace electrical outlets and
switches?
I'm not Bob Villa, but I do know how to use tools and the like. Here
is what they look like:

http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?i...11largehc4.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 9:18 am, "John Gilmer" wrote:
You might want to either use an existing outlet or put an outlet where the
old lamps get their juice and replace the incandescent stuff with LED or
fluorescent "fixtures."

You can get very efficient and very bright "hockey puck" type LED fixtures
or compact fluorescent fixtures from your "big box" hardware store and even
Wal-Mart.

"Edward" wrote in message

oups.com...

Basically for as long as I can remember these lights (at my parents
house) have been burning out constantly. They are from 1974 and IMO
they need to be replaced. Should we call somebody to do it, or can
they be done by somebody who can replace electrical outlets and
switches?
I'm not Bob Villa, but I do know how to use tools and the like. Here
is what they look like:

http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?i...1largehc4.jpg- Hide quoted text -

I don't quite understand.
They are already wired so I don't need juice. Having outlets there is
not a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Those are the basic cheap fluorescents. They are trivial to replace
with a screwdriver (assuming they aren't glued in or something silly,
people use construction adhesive for all sorts of things!).

I have them in my kitchen, and found that spending a couple of extra $
on the "1-upgrade" lights rather than the absolute cheapest made a
difference. Mine were under $20 each, as opposed to under $10 for the
real cheapies.

Halogen or even LED is certainly a way to go, expect to pay somewhat
more. Decent halogens would have cost at least twice as much as my
fluorescents.

On Jun 26, 10:41 pm, Edward wrote:
Basically for as long as I can remember these lights (at my parents
house) have been burning out constantly. They are from 1974 and IMO
they need to be replaced. Should we call somebody to do it, or can
they be done by somebody who can replace electrical outlets and
switches?
I'm not Bob Villa, but I do know how to use tools and the like. Here
is what they look like:

http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?i...11largehc4.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 28, 1:49 pm, Andrew Duane wrote:
[...]

Kickass! I figured they weren't difficult to replace. There doesn't
seem to be much to them.
What about modern electronic ballast fluorescents?

under cabinet lighting Arkadiy Home Repair 20 June 25th 07 07:50 PM
under cabinet lighting [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 8th 06 10:23 PM
Under Cabinet Lighting [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 18th 06 05:30 PM
Cabinet lighting Peter Ashby UK diy 3 July 11th 05 12:27 AM
Under Cabinet Lighting. Louis Frolio Home Ownership 3 October 25th 04 05:20 PM