Posted to alt.home.repair
ken ken is offline

Default a/c and fans

Our new central a/c unit does not do much to cool our second
floor...We live in an old house and the ductwork apparently can't
handle the job too well.

We have an exhaust fan in an upstairs window and ceiling fans in the
bed rooms.

1. Is it ok to use these while the a/c is on?

2. can the upstairs windows be open to be able to get a breeze at
night, even thought he a/c is on?

thanks

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:23:49 -0700, ken wrote:

Our new central a/c unit does not do much to cool our second
floor...We live in an old house and the ductwork apparently can't
handle the job too well.

We have an exhaust fan in an upstairs window and ceiling fans in the
bed rooms.

1. Is it ok to use these while the a/c is on?

2. can the upstairs windows be open to be able to get a breeze at
night, even thought he a/c is on?

thanks

Ken

It doesn't make energy-wise sense to run the A/C with exhaust fans
and/or windows open. However, you can turn off the A/C and turn on
the fans which will save you about 90% in kwhrs. Your new central
a/c was not properly sized/installed. Perhaps you can put in a
through-the-wall or window a/c unit upstairs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 6:27 pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:23:49 -0700, ken wrote:
Our new central a/c unit does not do much to cool our second
floor...We live in an old house and the ductwork apparently can't
handle the job too well.

We have an exhaust fan in an upstairs window and ceiling fans in the
bed rooms.

1. Is it ok to use these while the a/c is on?

2. can the upstairs windows be open to be able to get a breeze at
night, even thought he a/c is on?

thanks

Ken

It doesn't make energy-wise sense to run the A/C with exhaust fans
and/or windows open. However, you can turn off the A/C and turn on
the fans which will save you about 90% in kwhrs. Your new central
a/c was not properly sized/installed. Perhaps you can put in a
through-the-wall or window a/c unit upstairs.- Hide quoted text -

Agree. And since it's a new system, what did the installer promise
before they installed it? What do they say now? Are there enough
returns upstairs? If not, that is a common problem. Can any of the
returns be opened up more by cutting drywall and installing a bigger
register grill on the opening? How about the attic? Well ventilated
and insulated? If not, get more ventilation/insulation in there,
which will help and also reduce costs in winter

I'd get after the company that did the work. And there is always
small claims court.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 4:57 pm, wrote:
[...]

small claims court.- Hide quoted text -

A new system might give you legal options, if it was done right it
should cool. is there an upstairs return. Why would you leave a window
open bringing in warm air

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ken" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our new central a/c unit does not do much to cool our second
floor...We live in an old house and the ductwork apparently can't
handle the job too well.

We have an exhaust fan in an upstairs window and ceiling fans in the
bed rooms.

1. Is it ok to use these while the a/c is on?

2. can the upstairs windows be open to be able to get a breeze at
night, even thought he a/c is on?

thanks

Ken

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!
Opening a window to get cool air while running the poor performing AC is a
waste of energy, counterproductive to the AC working properly. You need to
get the AC performance right.

There are a few possibilities with your situation and the installer should
be there to inspect and determine the problem. Unless it was a cheap-o
setup and against the recommendation of the installer.

First is the blower speed. Is it running properly? Next is the ducts, both
supply and return. You already know the ducts are not up to snuff, but it
may be possible to improve or change them. They should both have enough
capacity to handle the needs of each room on each floor and they must be
balanced. One thing you can do to force more cooler air to the second floor
is to cut back the registers on the first floor.

--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:23:49 -0700, ken wrote:
Our new central a/c unit does not do much to cool our second
floor...We live in an old house and the ductwork apparently can't
handle the job too well.

I'd get after the company that did the work. And there is always
small claims court.

He already knows the duct work is not up to snuff. Good chance he was told
that but wanted the install anyway. If he was told that up front, it is not
going to be beneficial to waste the court time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd be tempted to keep them closed. Don't want to let humidity
in.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

oups.com...
:
: We have an exhaust fan in an upstairs window and ceiling fans
in the
: bed rooms.
:
: 1. Is it ok to use these while the a/c is on?
:
: 2. can the upstairs windows be open to be able to get a breeze
at
: night, even thought he a/c is on?
:
: thanks
:
: Ken
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ken" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our new central a/c unit does not do much to cool our second
floor...We live in an old house and the ductwork apparently can't
handle the job too well.

Try closing the 1st floor registers. This should force the cold air to the
2nd floor, where it will drift down and still cool the 1st floor. Of
course, this is just temp solution until you can get it fixed correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My guess is that your older house doesn't have the appropriate
ductwork for A/C being that it's either too small for it or the return
on the second floor is placed too low for cooling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My guess is that your older house doesn't have the appropriate
ductwork for A/C being that it's either too small for it or the return
on the second floor is placed too low for cooling.

He needs a separate Cooling System for the second floor rooms.
They have Ductless Mini-Split Systems whereby one condenser outdoors can
serve several rooms.

Do a google or Yahoo search for Ductless Mini-Split Systems.

Use your imagination and install some kind of an air block at the top of
the stairs.
If not already installed, put dampers on the upstairs ducts & size the
first floor AC to handle that heatload.

http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html

DISCLAIMER:
I assume NO responsibility for the USE of any information I post on any
of my Web pages, Newsgroups or E-mails.
All HVAC/R work should always be done by a licensed Contractor &
properly licensed Techs! This information is only placed on these pages
for your understanding & communication with contractors & techs. I am
NOT liable for your decisions or screw-ups, you are liable for what you
do! - Darrell Udelhoven - Retired Licensed Tech & Contractor - udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/

http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm

http://www.udarrell.com/principled_a...ju stice.html
(Needs Editing ASAP)

http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html

http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html

http://www.antiwar.com/ ***

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!

samsung fans Max Electronics Repair 1 July 5th 06 04:11 AM
ceiling fans Mark Modrall Home Repair 7 July 4th 06 07:45 AM
Big A-- fans RogerN Metalworking 1 September 1st 05 07:39 PM
fans Geoff Norfolk UK diy 2 March 7th 05 10:43 AM
ceiling fans NC UK diy 3 August 7th 03 09:08 PM