Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Central air conditioner stops working

Hello all, I am hopng someone can help. My central air system works
fine for a few hours, but then after (approx 8 hours or so) it is no
longer blowing air out of the vents in the ceiling. The system is
running as it should, compressor fan outside is still spinning and it
sounds like it should be working, but no air is coming out, although
the vent does still seem cold, no air is coming out of it. The only
way to get it to work again is to turn the system off for about 2
hours, then when I turn it back on it is working normally. Could
something be freezing up? Has anyone heard or seen this before,
anything I can look at?

Thanks in advance...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello all, I am hopng someone can help. My central air system works
fine for a few hours, but then after (approx 8 hours or so) it is no
longer blowing air out of the vents in the ceiling. The system is
running as it should, compressor fan outside is still spinning and it
sounds like it should be working, but no air is coming out, although
the vent does still seem cold, no air is coming out of it. The only
way to get it to work again is to turn the system off for about 2
hours, then when I turn it back on it is working normally. Could
something be freezing up? Has anyone heard or seen this before,
anything I can look at?
Thanks in advance...

It might be that the evaporator coil is freezing over, or the fan motor,
for various reasons, is getting too hot.
Stop operating the unit when the blower is NOT delivering adequate
airflow or you will ruin the compressor,.
http://www.udarrell.com/external_sta...ct_systems_ASP

- udarrell

-

http://www.udarrell.com/

http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm

http://www.udarrell.com/principled_a...ju stice.html
(Needs Editing ASAP)

http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html

http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html

http://www.antiwar.com/ ***

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:31:53 -0700, wrote:

Hello all, I am hopng someone can help. My central air system works
fine for a few hours, but then after (approx 8 hours or so) it is no
longer blowing air out of the vents in the ceiling. The system is
running as it should, compressor fan outside is still spinning and it
sounds like it should be working, but no air is coming out, although
the vent does still seem cold, no air is coming out of it. The only
way to get it to work again is to turn the system off for about 2
hours, then when I turn it back on it is working normally. Could
something be freezing up?

Yes, I think, but that would be an effect of the inside fan not
blowing, not a cause of it. No amount of freezing would stop air from
coming out of the vents if the fan were running. (although don't
depend on me. You can and should verify this by going to the furance
and listening to tell if the fan is running or not.)

Has anyone heard or seen this before,

Not me, but...

anything I can look at?

Anything can happen, and there is always something to look at.

How about turning your thermostat fan co;ntrol to On instead of Auto,
and see if the fan runs then? If it does, then there's somewthing
wrong with the auto part. If it doesn't, there's something wrong with
the fan or the fan circuit.

How much are you willing to do in order to fix it?

If it's the auto part, you could scrape by by leaving the fan on On,
not auto, but I would hate that because I hate the noise of the fan,
and it wastes electricity imo.

Assuming it's the fan and not the auto, I guess a simple thing would
be, when the fan isn't working during that two hour period you
describe, especially the earliest part of it, since you don't know
exactly when it starts working again, to find the two wires from teh
control unit to the indoor fan and check for continuity through the
fan and the wires to it. You probably have to disconnect one of the
two wires to do this. Have we reached your limit or do you want more?

Thanks in advance...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:26:35 -0400, mm
wrote:

No amount of freezing would stop air from
coming out of the vents if the fan were running.

Or if the other two are right, I could be wrong!

(although don't
depend on me. You can and should verify this by going to the furance
and listening to tell if the fan is running or not.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

No amount of freezing would stop air from
coming out of the vents if the fan were running.

Or if the other two are right, I could be wrong!

I've seen plenty of A coils freeze like a block of ice. A small amount of
air does leak around the coil but that's it.

There is no reason to bring gender into this.

Thanks. I guess I was wrong in those two lines of mine at the top,
and I presume the OP is still reading.

:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Could something be freezing up?

Yes, paradoxically caused by a refrigerant leak and subsequent low
refrigerant charge.

Another possibility is squirrel-cage fan blade out of balance, which slows
the fan speed and overheats the motor. They get unbalanced from corrosion,
especially if the fan is after the evaporator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually, yes, I've seen this happen. Freezing indoor coil will
block air flow.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"mm" wrote in message
:
: Yes, I think, but that would be an effect of the inside fan not
: blowing, not a cause of it. No amount of freezing would stop
air from
: coming out of the vents if the fan were running. (although
don't
: depend on me. You can and should verify this by going to the
furance
: and listening to tell if the fan is running or not.)
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, it's possible. Or, the outdoor unit may be dirty, and
overheating.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:
: Hello all, I am hopng someone can help. My central air system
works
: fine for a few hours, but then after (approx 8 hours or so) it
is no
: longer blowing air out of the vents in the ceiling. The
system is
: running as it should, compressor fan outside is still spinning
and it
: sounds like it should be working, but no air is coming out,
although
: the vent does still seem cold, no air is coming out of it.
The only
: way to get it to work again is to turn the system off for
about 2
: hours, then when I turn it back on it is working normally.
Could
: something be freezing up?
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Or, the outdoor unit is overheating. At which point the solution
is to clean the outdoor unit's coils.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"ValveJob" wrote in message
:
: The inside coil is freezing over and caked with ice preventing
: any/much air from flowing thru it. It is caused by the slow
leak of
: freon in the system. The cure is to add a small can or two of
R-22
: until the temperature of that large insulated suction line
going to
: the outside unit is 'beer can cold'. Or about 50 to 55
degrees.
:
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Male coils don't blow unless there is something terribly wrong.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"mm" wrote in message
:
: There is no reason to bring gender into this.
:
: Thanks. I guess I was wrong in those two lines of mine at the
top,
: and I presume the OP is still reading.
:
: :-)
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just had my rental house's serviced for the same problem, seems the coils
were covered in dog hair & air wasn't getting through thus allowing the
coils to freeze over fairly quickly

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 8:12 am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:46:28 +0000, longshot wrote:

I just had my rental house's serviced for the same problem, seems the coils
were covered in dog hair & air wasn't getting through thus allowing the
coils to freeze over fairly quickly

That's another possibility that I've seen back in my hvac days in the
70's-80's. Same for the condensing unit outside being dirty/obstructed and
not being able to produce enough refrigerant.

Great thanks for all of the replies. I will definitely check out the
inside coil and see if it si freezing over, this makes the most sense.

I did have a tech over, but when he came over it was working
properly. he check ed the levels of freon and a couple of other
things and said everything looked fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No amount of freezing would stop air from
coming out of the vents if the fan were running.

Or if the other two are right, I could be wrong!

I've seen plenty of A coils freeze like a block of ice. A small amount of
air does leak around the coil but that's it.

I had one that did the same thin, almost no air as the coil froze. It was
low on the refrigerant.

Funny how low refrigerant causes the coils to freeze but that is the way it
works.