Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A sincere thanks to those who respond and help

I apologize that this isn't a question, but for some reason I can't access a
lot of the posts I make to this newsgroup via Outlook Express, and even
though I post with Outlook, I often don't see the responses unless I look up
my post using Google's newsgroup lookup.

SOOO, since I can't directly "respond to group" using Outlook, I just wanted
to make a new post thanking you of alt.home.repair for responding to my
posts and helping with your time, thoughts, and advice.

In the past, when I've had issues with the occasional computer, software,
lawnmower, stapler, etc., I am the type to try and fix things myself before
seeking help (even though I can't figure out why my Outlook isn't working
for previous posts :)). As a first-time homeowner, though, I'm much less
likely to start tearing at walls and installing things without some input
from others, so I expect to be posting here quite a bit. I just wanted to
make sure everyone realizes that I am extremely thankful for the Internet,
this newsgroup, and of course most of all to the people who make this group
a place to come with questions and advice-seeking.

There's no need to respond, I just wanted to get my thanks out there.

....and that thing I said about posting a lot, that's serious. I WILL be on
here quite a bit with this new purchase.

Thanks again, all.

The Complete Newb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:18:28 -0400, "CompleteNewb"
wrote:

I apologize that this isn't a question, but for some reason I can't access a
lot of the posts I make to this newsgroup via Outlook Express, and even
though I post with Outlook, I often don't see the responses unless I look up
my post using Google's newsgroup lookup.

Try this:

Go here and download Agent 3.3 · Build 846

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/download-all.php

I am guessing your server will be news.comcast.net, but you can email
comcast and ask for your Usenet server information.

It should also already be entered in Outlook.
Posted to alt.home.repair

CompleteNewb wrote:

[...]

Well, shucks. As a first time homeowner you probably don't know what a
piece of crap Outlook is. That is lesson number one. I use IE only
because there is a plot afoot to rid the world of decent software and
make more money for microsoft. Well, let me tell you, I use IE only
when and where I must, and for fun I use Mozilla. Browse, email, news,
all in one.

I don't do big, muscle jobs, although I have torn up my share of sod in
the old days. Learned lots by doing stuff the wrong way first and then
figuring out how I should have done it. My dad could not stand to lift
a tool or fix anything, but my mom, until she was 82, had her own
workshop. After she passed away, I found a neat little stack of
newspaper clippings from the 1920's, when she was about 10-12, about how
to make or build stuff. My mom built and installed her own kitchen
cabinets and was a masterful miniature room builder. Tons of tiny tools
to go with the big ones. Curiosity is the best trait to have ...
"wonder how they do that?" Readers Digest used to have a good allaround
fixing-stuff book for menial stuff like fixing faucets and runny
toilets. Probably six volumes now ) Some of us post just because our
spouses won't listen to us, but there is lots of help here and an
occasional smartass to keep your blood circulating. Enjoy!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"CompleteNewb" wrote in message
. ..
I apologize that this isn't a question, but for some reason I can't
access a lot of the posts I make to this newsgroup via Outlook
Express, and even though I post with Outlook, I often don't see the

There are settings in OE to change the retention time. The default is
not long. I see posts going back a few years in some groups.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:30:18 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

"CompleteNewb" wrote in message
I apologize that this isn't a question, but for some reason I can't
access a lot of the posts I make to this newsgroup via Outlook
Express, and even though I post with Outlook, I often don't see the

There are settings in OE to change the retention time. The default is
not long. I see posts going back a few years in some groups.

In Agent, the maximum is 99,999 days. That's over 200 years.

Although the old version I have may have a maximum file size that,
since I dl all the headers AND bodies, limits me on this busy group to
about 3 weeks.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I apologize that this isn't a question, but for some reason I can't access a
lot of the posts I make to this newsgroup via Outlook Express, and even
though I post with Outlook, I often don't see the responses unless I look up
my post using Google's newsgroup lookup.

Try this:

Go here and download Agent 3.3 · Build 846

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/download-all.php

I am guessing your server will be news.comcast.net, but you can email
comcast and ask for your Usenet server information.

news.comcast.net is what I use. I read with Pan under Mint Linux 3.0, but
before I defenestrated I used Agent.

Anyone who thinks he's going to need new hardware because his present
computer won't handle Vista should try a Linux live CD. It's free for
download, and won't write anything to your hard drive unless you decide to
install it. The newer distributions, like Mint and Ubuntu, make it easy
to set up dual-booting if you're not ready to dump Windows entirely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I apologize that this isn't a question, but for some reason I can't
access a lot of the posts I make to this newsgroup via Outlook
Express, and even though I post with Outlook, I often don't see the

Try this:

Go here and download Agent 3.3 · Build 846

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/download-all.php

There's something unsettling about a bit of software whose name is vaguely
French-sounding.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I apologize that this isn't a question, but for some reason I can't
access a lot of the posts I make to this newsgroup via Outlook
Express, and even though I post with Outlook, I often don't see the

Try this:

Go here and download Agent 3.3 · Build 846

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/download-all.php

There's something unsettling about a bit of software whose name is vaguely
French-sounding.

Only because the French are monitoriing all my Usenet usage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

There's something unsettling about a bit of software whose name is vaguely
French-sounding.

Only because the French are monitoriing all my Usenet usage.

Cool. I have only been able to come to the attention of the Elbonians.
I am so jealous.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:55:53 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

There's something unsettling about a bit of software whose name is vaguely
French-sounding.

Only because the French are monitoriing all my Usenet usage.

Cool. I have only been able to come to the attention of the Elbonians.
I am so jealous.

Not on this group so much, but on other groups, I make occasional
nasty remarks about France. It gets their interest. Try it.

Sincere Request [email protected] Home Repair 1 August 4th 06 09:30 PM
Mitsubichi CS-40505 won't respond Help BoborAnn Electronics Repair 4 May 15th 05 03:08 AM
dadiOH please respond Blue Home Repair 5 April 2nd 05 11:01 PM
TV that does not respond to some keys. Chaos Master Electronics Repair 6 March 20th 04 04:27 PM