Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What happens when an attic exhaust fan fails?

Hi,

About 20 years ago I installed a tstat-controlled attic exhaust fan
suitable for a small-medium size attic.

Years later it caused tv/radio interference in the house, so I built
a frame for it and put it in a window in my detached 2-car garage
to improve air circ. in very hot weather.

Now it's making horrible, horrible sounds. I've oiled the motor
twice: doesn't help.

I once ran a box fan 'till the wheels came off. Got a nasty
looking spark when it shorted out.

What are the chances of the failing exhaust fan starting a fire
in my garage?

Thx,
Peetie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:44:12 -0700, Frank
wrote:

On Jun 25, 3:36 pm, Peetie Wheatstraw
wrote:
Hi,

About 20 years ago I installed a tstat-controlled attic exhaust fan
suitable for a small-medium size attic.

Years later it caused tv/radio interference in the house, so I built
a frame for it and put it in a window in my detached 2-car garage
to improve air circ. in very hot weather.

Now it's making horrible, horrible sounds. I've oiled the motor
twice: doesn't help.

I once ran a box fan 'till the wheels came off. Got a nasty
looking spark when it shorted out.

What are the chances of the failing exhaust fan starting a fire
in my garage?

Thx,
Peetie

My roof fan failed and it just stopped working. My neighbors failed
and it set fire to his roof. This was about 1 am and if it were not
for our neighbor across the street coming home late and seeing the
flames, who knows. When I got new roof shingles, I put in passive
ventilation.
Frank

Mine failed and I unplugged it, but there is little chance of it
starting a fire as it is well away from any combustible material.

The wiring is another matter, so I will have my new one on a surge
protector with a circuit breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:45:56 -0500, ValveJob wrote:

Mine failed and I unplugged it, but there is little chance of it
starting a fire as it is well away from any combustible material.

The wiring is another matter, so I will have my new one on a surge
protector with a circuit breaker.

Surge protectors protect electronics from spikes, but is there any
spike so big it can cause fires in a motor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

What are the chances of the failing exhaust fan starting a fire
in my garage?

It is exactly this risk of fire that the only active attic vent I
would consider is one of those little self-contained solar powered
units. That and the wired ones suck a lot of juice, possibly more than
you'd save on your A/C bill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
About 20 years ago I installed a tstat-controlled attic exhaust fan
suitable for a small-medium size attic.

Years later it caused tv/radio interference in the house, so I built
a frame for it and put it in a window in my detached 2-car garage
to improve air circ. in very hot weather.

The motor should not be creating EMI. If was creating radio
interference typically because it was failing. Maybe something as
simple as worn brushes. Maybe arcing on a loose wire. Or maybe a hall
effective sensor was not properly positioned.

No one can say if it is a fire hazard. But EMI was a precursor to
fan failure.

Only person who can answer the OP's question with authority is one
who opens that fan or who obtains a detailed autopsy report of that
fan. Most would simply replace the defecive motor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
About 20 years ago I installed a tstat-controlled attic exhaust fan
suitable for a small-medium size attic.

Years later it caused tv/radio interference in the house, so I built
a frame for it and put it in a window in my detached 2-car garage
to improve air circ. in very hot weather.

The motor should not be creating EMI. If was creating radio
interference typically because it was failing. Maybe something as
simple as worn brushes. Maybe arcing on a loose wire. Or maybe a hall
effective sensor was not properly positioned.

No one can say if it is a fire hazard. But EMI was a precursor to
fan failure.

It might've been 8-10 years w/o EMI. Then about 10 yrs in the
garage after the EMI started.

Only person who can answer the OP's question with authority is one
who opens that fan or who obtains a detailed autopsy report of that
fan.

Methinks you are correct, kind sir. I turned the fan off
yesterday.

Most would simply replace the defecive motor.

I would if practical and cost-effective, as I need the garage air
circ. and the window frame unit is built and functional. If I were
able to find a bolt-up motor replacement at maybe Grainger, it'd
likely cost twice the price of a new exhaust fan from a bigbox
store?

Thx,
Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:04:44 -0700, w_tom wrote:

Only person who can answer the OP's question with authority is one
who opens that fan or who obtains a detailed autopsy report of that

Isn't it called a necropsy when it's a fan?

fan. Most would simply replace the defecive motor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

wrote:
Hi,

About 20 years ago I installed a tstat-controlled attic exhaust fan
suitable for a small-medium size attic.

Years later it caused tv/radio interference in the house, so I built
a frame for it and put it in a window in my detached 2-car garage
to improve air circ. in very hot weather.

Now it's making horrible, horrible sounds. I've oiled the motor
twice: doesn't help.

I once ran a box fan 'till the wheels came off. Got a nasty
looking spark when it shorted out.

What are the chances of the failing exhaust fan starting a fire
in my garage?

Just out of curiosity, are you asking because you WANT to start a fire
in your garage. If so, keep it running until something happens, If
not, then a very, very small risk isn't work the possibility of it
happening.

Thx,
Peetie