Old June 18th 11, 11:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore 417 front loader washer: There should be class action suit on this machine!

I worked for Shears, four weks and two days. I was horrified
by what I saw. I'd not want to buy anything from them.
Sadly, they do make nice Craftsman tools.

I got a call last year, from some folks with a noisy front
loader. The part at the parts house was about $300 and I
didn't know it was a two man, all day job. As with John
Deere "permanant lube" joints and knuckles, someone came out
with a grease gun syringe needle device. I'm sure some one
will come out with a lube system for these.

Sorry about the shipping braces. Typical Shears service.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message

This a rather old thread to which you are responding, but
I'll throw in
my 2 cents' worth...

We've had ours for about 9 years, averaging two or three
loads a week,
and it's been noisy for the last several years. When it was
still in
warranty the controller failed and was replaced free, and I
asked the
service guy about the reports I had heard of bearing
failure. He said it
was usually caused by using non-HE detergent and that
replacement of the
whole drum assembly was a 2-person 4-hour job -- no bearings
available
separately -- costing big bucks. I have since read that
bearings are
available but not from Sears. If ours quits I may still try
to fix it
myself, as we have the dryer stacked above it and that dryer
might not
fit a different washer.

My major gripe concerning this washer was that when it was
delivered
they took the shipping braces away with them although the
user manual
says to keep them in case the machine needs to be moved
again -- and
when we did move I had to *buy* a new set of shipping
braces. I
mentioned this to our friendly Sears person in our new
location, and she
said not leaving them behind was common practice and that I
probably was
the only person who had ever read the part in the manual
about keeping them.

Perce

Old June 18th 11, 11:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sadly, they do make nice Craftsman tools.

Went thru this here just a couple days ago--Sears _MAKES_ nothing; they
own and retail several brands manufactured on contract for them; Kenmore
and Craftsman the two largest...

Old June 19th 11, 12:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...io-228602-.htm
biguggy wrote:

You are quite correct.
The subject of this thread is the 'Kenmore 417' and I was just pointing
out that the same basic machines, all built by 'Frigidaire (Electrolux),
are/were marketed, by Sears, Frigidaire and GE. The majority of the parts
being interchangeable

Old January 1st 15, 02:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

My model 418.431xxxxx spider assy failed. Can only repair by replacing entire drum assy. Item 16 in the installation manual and parts list. Roughly $350. You can buy just the spider.

According to page 2 of the sears guide that came with washer states unlimited lifetime warranty on the steel basket drum.. Which is according sears documentation is one unit.

I going to sears warranty to force the issue for and entire assy or sell me the spider itself. Can purchase spider in UK with warning its not intended for USA models. Garbage protection I bet to keep prices up here.

Wish me luck.
Old January 4th 17, 11:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Jay is offline

replying to biguggy, Jay wrote:
You missed one point about galvanic corrosion of the alloy spiders. The
corrosion is occurring where the aluminum spider is attached to the mild steel
shaft at the center of the spider and not the stainless drum. Had the spindle
been constructed of the same grade stainless, the al alloy might not fail at
all. I am sure that the spindle is mild steel after reusing it when I
fabricated a new spider for my machine. My new spider is entirely constructed
of stainless with the exception of the reused spindle.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...io-228602-.htm

Old January 5th 17, 05:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair

You should have bought a Speed Queen.
I repair washers and dryers and Speed Queen is the best.
No I don't work work for Speed Queen.
Old January 5th 17, 03:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 21:49:38 -0800 (PST), Molly Brown
wrote in

You should have bought a Speed Queen.
I repair washers and dryers and Speed Queen is the best.
No I don't work work for Speed Queen.

How does Maytag compare to Speed Queen and Kenmore in your opinion?
Old January 5th 17, 05:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 21:49:38 -0800 (PST), Molly Brown wrote:

You should have bought a Speed Queen.
I repair washers and dryers and Speed Queen is the best.
No I don't work work for Speed Queen.

Nobody cares what you think. Besides, the message you're replying to is nearly a decade old.
Old January 11th 17, 09:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to me, Jim Morrow wrote:
True, a class action suit is needed for this model. Mine was 2-3 years old the
1st time it failed and it was from a known issue with the bottom shocks
failing which caused a chain of failures. As of today it simply stopped
working, finis5 a load and started another only it did not work, dead nothing.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...io-228602-.htm

Old December 26th 18, 08:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 25, 2007 at 2:19:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I bought a brand new Kenmore front loader washer in
2000. It was the model number that started with 417
xxxx.

I live alone, so only do maybe one load a week, very
light usage for a washer

After 7 years of light use the main bearing of this
machine failed. The seal failed and all the internal
lube as slung out over inside of machine.

To make matters worse, the main bearing is integral to
the tub which means that one must buy a whole new tub
assembly to replace only that main bearing!

Just wondering if anyone lese has been stung with this
washer and what they've done abt it?

`We have the same model bought in 2001 still running with no issues same with the dryer posted 12.26.18