Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing Gutter Screen -Over/Under roof shingle?

I am thinking about installing gutter screens on my gutters. I've read
several conflicting pieces of advice on how to install them on the
side closest to the roof. Is it better to tuck/adhere the side closest
to the roof under the shingles or lay the gutter screen flat on top of
the shingles?
I'd appreciate any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 10:10 am, wrote:
I am thinking about installing gutter screens on my gutters. I've read
several conflicting pieces of advice on how to install them on the
side closest to the roof. Is it better to tuck/adhere the side closest
to the roof under the shingles or lay the gutter screen flat on top of
the shingles?
I'd appreciate any advice.

Mine are supposed to be installed under the shingles. But I installed
them over the shingles because the shingles in my house are old and
fragile, and I didn't want to work on them too much. The downside is
that the squirrels jumping on the gutter may cause the gutter to lift
up. Moreover, leaves and debris will still find their way into the
gutter through the gap where the gutter meets the roof (the gap is
there because neither the roof nor the gutter are perfectly straight).

If I had a choice, I would have installed them under the shingles.

By the way, you can spray water through the metal wire mesh screen
type of gutter to clean the gutter because the wire is thin enough
that the water can get through easily. In fact that is how I clean
the gutter in area that the squirrels haven't lifted up the gutter.

Jay Chan

Roof Shingle Question Robert11 Home Repair 4 May 5th 07 07:21 PM
New roof jacks in existing asphalt shingle roof [email protected] Home Repair 1 March 12th 06 06:38 PM
Wood Shingle on 4/12 roof? [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 29th 05 05:59 PM
Gutter screen barry martin Home Repair 2 August 28th 04 03:24 PM
shingle or metal roof? [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 30th 03 05:15 PM