Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Default backerboard question

greetings, i am curious as to the fiberglass tape used to seal seams on
hardibackerboards the same as fiberglass tape used in drywalling?
the backerboard will be used for a countertop
thanks, cj

Posted to alt.home.repair

cj wrote:
greetings, i am curious as to the fiberglass tape used to seal
seams on hardibackerboards the same as fiberglass tape used in
drywalling?
the backerboard will be used for a countertop
thanks, cj

Wasted effort to do seams on a countertop. IMO, YMMV.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 05:31:28 -0400, cj wrote:

greetings, i am curious as to the fiberglass tape used to seal seams on
hardibackerboards the same as fiberglass tape used in drywalling?
the backerboard will be used for a countertop
thanks, cj

I think it is different, because I was yelled at once for grabbing the
wrong stuff. Something about i had to suitable for the pH?

Tom @ www.Texas-VOIP.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 9:25 am, Just Joshin wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 05:31:28 -0400, cj wrote:
greetings, i am curious as to the fiberglass tape used to seal seams on
hardibackerboards the same as fiberglass tape used in drywalling?
the backerboard will be used for a countertop
thanks, cj

I think it is different, because I was yelled at once for grabbing the
wrong stuff. Something about i had to suitable for the pH?

Tom @ www.Texas-VOIP.com

Yes, it is different. The backerboard stuff won't deteriorate with
the thinset. They usually have it close to the backerboad in the tile
section at HD/Lowes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, it is different. The backerboard stuff won't deteriorate with
the thinset.

Huh? One is fiberglass and the other is ... fiberglass?

Sounds like the way they put the same cleaners into jugs that say "driveway
cleaner", "deck cleaner", etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, it is different. The backerboard stuff won't deteriorate with
the thinset.

Huh? One is fiberglass and the other is ... fiberglass?

I guess the difference might be in the coating that's applied to the
fiberglass. Dry wall joint compound sets by drying. "Thin set" likely
dries by hydration of portland cement or by reaction with something in the
air (CO2 or H2O).

It's not exactly a major cost item so why take the chance of getting it
wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Gilmer writes:

It's not exactly a major cost item so why take the chance of getting it
wrong.

Because I don't have your sheepish mindset. Ultimately the costs come down
to what you know and how you apply that knowledge.

My guess would be, it's more likely to be a merchant manipulation than a
genuine difference.

Marketing people are taught these days to label things with a focused
application, not a description of the contents, because it divides the
market and improves retail profits. This is why there are 1000 different
spray cleaning products made from a grand total of about 5 ingredients,
instead of 5 barrels of ingredients and a recipes handout.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 11:23 pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
John Gilmer writes:
It's not exactly a major cost item so why take the chance of getting it
wrong.

Because I don't have your sheepish mindset. Ultimately the costs come down
to what you know and how you apply that knowledge.

My guess would be, it's more likely to be a merchant manipulation than a
genuine difference.

Marketing people are taught these days to label things with a focused
application, not a description of the contents, because it divides the
market and improves retail profits. This is why there are 1000 different
spray cleaning products made from a grand total of about 5 ingredients,
instead of 5 barrels of ingredients and a recipes handout.

OK, follow my sheeping reasoning. Hardibacker calls it out
specifically, Thinset manuf call it out specifically and cement board
manuf. call it out. They sure are herding us sheep. But I suggest
you stray from the flock and carve your own path to show those
marketing folks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hardibacker calls it out
specifically, Thinset manuf call it out specifically and cement board
manuf. call it out.

Huh. They specifically say, "don't use fiberglass tape labeled for gypsum
board?"