Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garbage Disposals

My garbage disposal is leaking and I guess it needs to be replaced.

My concern is: Do I need to replace it with a like brand or are all garbage
disposals interchangeable?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Freckles wrote:

My garbage disposal is leaking and I guess it needs to be replaced.

My concern is: Do I need to replace it with a like brand or are all garbage
disposals interchangeable?

Thanks

If you replace it with a like brand, you may only have to
detach it from the sink and install the new one (plus the
wiring and piping). If you buy a different brand, you may
have to detach the GD, then detach the basket strainer and
install a new one on your sink, then attach the GD. (It is
not actually a basket strainer, but a GD attachment.)

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Freckles wrote:
My garbage disposal is leaking and I guess it needs to be replaced.

My concern is: Do I need to replace it with a like brand or are all
garbage disposals interchangeable?

Thanks

Interchangeable - to the extent that the drain holes in the sink are
standard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 23:31:59 -0500, "Freckles"
wrote:

My garbage disposal is leaking and I guess it needs to be replaced.

My concern is: Do I need to replace it with a like brand or are all garbage
disposals interchangeable?

Thanks

Leaking where? I've heard of putty failing and just needs repacking.

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Look at how the GD attaches to the sink. Get a replacement with a similar
mechanism. (of course if the attachment mechanism is leaking, this doesnt
matter). Note that GDs of different brands may have the same attachment
collars (theres only a couple of manufacturers of GDs)

Buying the same exact model makes installation the easiest as all the drains
and wiring will be in the same place.

"Freckles" wrote in message
My garbage disposal is leaking and I guess it needs to be replaced.

My concern is: Do I need to replace it with a like brand or are all
garbage disposals interchangeable?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

My garbage disposal is leaking and I guess it needs to be replaced.

My concern is: Do I need to replace it with a like brand or are all garbage
disposals interchangeable?

Most garbage disposals are interchangeable because most are made by
In-Sink-erator, even though they are sold under different brand names.
I think t hey made 80% of the ones in the USA. This assumes you don't
get one that is 2 or 3 sizes bigger. Those will usually fit at the
sink, but will be too wide or too narrow for the the current location
of the drain pipe. Which might be easy to move, but that varies.

I'm not sure how to describe a non-ISErator, because the only one's
I've seen are made by them. They have a bayonet mount. You lift it
into place below the sink and rotate them 30 or 40 degrees or more and
they lock into place. IIRC this was a bit hard to lift the first
time, and much harder 15 years later, when I was 58 and out of shape.
Especially since the door under my sink is only one cabinet wide I had
to do it alone. (The sink is between a corner cabinet and the
dishwasher.) I may be a pansy but I ended up using a floor jack the
second time, and that made it easy

Sears and Ace Hardware sell disposals made by insinkerator under
different brand names. And IIRC Home Depot and maybe Lowes sell them,
maybe under the real name. The house brands are sometimes 5 or 10
dollars cheaper, but they also have a shorter warrantee, 1 year
instead of 2.

When you get it home and take yours out, and open their box, all the
new ones provide a coupling betteen the sink and the disposal and if
the coupling isn't the same as what you have, you'll have to figure
out which one is insinkerator. If it's the one you have already, I'd
return the new one and buy ISE by whatever name it is sold.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Big_Jake writes:

On Jun 24, 11:31 pm, "Freckles" wrote:
My garbage disposal is leaking and I guess it needs to be replaced.

My concern is: Do I need to replace it with a like brand or are all garbage
disposals interchangeable?

Thanks

Leaking is a rare failure for a GD. Usually the motor burns out or
they wear out. Might be a simple leak repair instead of a much
costlier replacement.

I replaced a lower quality ISE just last year.
At first it started leaking then it burned out.
When I took it out I saw that the leak was water running
right thru the unit and it's ultimate failure was
inevitable. I think this was a low end 333 model.

I replaced it with a 555. Much quieter and I think
it will prove more durable.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:13:33 -0400, mm
wrote:

When you get it home and take yours out, and open their box, all the
new ones provide a coupling betteen the sink and the disposal and if
the coupling isn't the same as what you have, you'll have to figure
out which one is insinkerator. If it's the one you have already, I'd
return the new one and buy ISE by whatever name it is sold.

BTW, when you install it, be sure to pop out the plug in the drain in
advance. Harder to do it once it is installed.

I'm not sure in what kind of installation one would want the plug to
remain. ???

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When you get it home and take yours out, and open their box, all the
new ones provide a coupling betteen the sink and the disposal and if
the coupling isn't the same as what you have, you'll have to figure
out which one is insinkerator. If it's the one you have already, I'd
return the new one and buy ISE by whatever name it is sold.

BTW, when you install it, be sure to pop out the plug in the drain in
advance. Harder to do it once it is installed.

I'm not sure in what kind of installation one would want the plug to
remain. ???

Maybe someone who's kitchen appliance ensemble doesn't include a dishwaher?

I assume that's the "plug" and "drain" you're referring to....

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

When you get it home and take yours out, and open their box, all the
new ones provide a coupling betteen the sink and the disposal and if
the coupling isn't the same as what you have, you'll have to figure
out which one is insinkerator. If it's the one you have already, I'd
return the new one and buy ISE by whatever name it is sold.

BTW, when you install it, be sure to pop out the plug in the drain in
advance. Harder to do it once it is installed.

Thanks to Jeff, I withdraw this statment unless you have a dishwsaher.
OOPS.

Leave it in place if you don't have a dishwasher.

I'm not sure in what kind of installation one would want the plug to
remain. ???

Maybe someone who's kitchen appliance ensemble doesn't include a dishwaher?

I assume that's the "plug" and "drain" you're referring to....

Shame on me. I forgot what it was for.

Posted and emailed to the OP.

Jeff

Double disposals Scott Home Repair 16 December 29th 04 04:19 PM
Septic tanks, garbage disposals, dishwashers. rile Home Repair 11 July 28th 04 05:53 AM
Garbage disposals Consumer Reports TOM KAN PA Home Repair 1 April 19th 04 04:27 AM
Any garbage disposals impervious to chlorine? Anthony Ewell Home Repair 4 March 4th 04 12:32 AM