Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Genie Garage Door Opener screw drive - Screw coming apart

I had a Genie screw drive installed on one of our garage doors when we
bought our house about 6 years ago. The other door already had the
same and it was still (and is) working fine.

The one that was just replaced 6 years ago is working fine other than
the screw is coming apart. When the screw comes apart the door goes
up half way and then just stops and the screw and motor just spin
until I turn it off and disengage the arm and manually move the door
the rest of the way. Is this a common problem, and how do I fix it?

I didn't install the opener because it was part of the contract on the
house. I am sure if I installed it I would know how the screw goes
together.... but under the circumstances I don't have a clue.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"timwilson" wrote in message
ups.com...
I had a Genie screw drive installed on one of our garage doors when we
bought our house about 6 years ago. The other door already had the
same and it was still (and is) working fine.

The one that was just replaced 6 years ago is working fine other than
the screw is coming apart. When the screw comes apart the door goes
up half way and then just stops and the screw and motor just spin
until I turn it off and disengage the arm and manually move the door
the rest of the way. Is this a common problem, and how do I fix it?

I didn't install the opener because it was part of the contract on the
house. I am sure if I installed it I would know how the screw goes
together.... but under the circumstances I don't have a clue.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Tim

I have a pair of Genie Screw Drives. (much newer than yours) The screws go
together with some clips and a sleeve that slides over the assy.
You may have lost those clips, or you may have snapped a screw at the
connection point. Did you ever lube the screw??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 23, 9:49 pm, "J.A. Michel" wrote:
"timwilson" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

connection point. Did you ever lube the screw??- Hide quoted text -

No, I didn't. I didn't know that I needed to. I really inherited
these two. I have never had garage door openers before. This is our
first home and I didn't know about that bit of maintanace. Growing up
we never had garages

I think you are probably right, the bad part is I know we have cleaned
the floor of the garage multiple times since this happened so if they
popped off they are gone for ever. I guess I will go ahead and take
it down and take a look. I just didn't want to do that if it was
something that could be fixed easily without taking it apart.

Thanks,

Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"timwilson" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jun 23, 9:49 pm, "J.A. Michel" wrote:
"timwilson" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

In order to fix it, you have to take it apart and see what happened. You
ought to be able to get replacment parts for it. I'd check Genie's website,
and find the contact info.
Genie has a lube for the screw that you are suppose to apply once a year.
Good Luck!