Old June 22nd 07, 09:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair
al al is offline

Default What's "scuff sanding"?

Instructions that came with a primed steel door say to scuff sand
before painting. What's the best material to use for that? I'll just
be doing it by hand, no electric sander. Thanks...

Old June 22nd 07, 09:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

al wrote:
Instructions that came with a primed steel door say to scuff sand
before painting. What's the best material to use for that? I'll just
be doing it by hand, no electric sander. Thanks...

That's it -- just a light sanding to "scuff up" the surface slightly to
provide a good surface for bonding...80 to 100 grit good choice.

Old June 22nd 07, 10:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

--

I'd use 240 grit,80-100 will leave visible scratches,may even take off the
primer.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Old June 23rd 07, 05:32 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
al wrote:
Instructions that came with a primed steel door say to scuff sand
before painting. What's the best material to use for that? I'll just
be doing it by hand, no electric sander. Thanks...

That's it -- just a light sanding to "scuff up" the surface slightly to
provide a good surface for bonding...80 to 100 grit good choice.

I find a scotch-brite pad or similar does great for things like this.

aem sends...

Old June 23rd 07, 10:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair
al al is offline

On Jun 23, 12:30 am, "Kate" wrote:
A clean, new scotch brite pad works beautifully for "scuffing"

Which one? What color pad? I'm guessing that the super fine would be
best/safest. Thanks...

Old June 23rd 07, 04:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in
:

A clean, new scotch brite pad works beautifully for "scuffing"

Kate

and doesn't leave steel fibers to screw up your finish like steel wool
does.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Old June 23rd 07, 04:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair

al wrote in
oups.com:

On Jun 23, 12:30 am, "Kate" wrote:
A clean, new scotch brite pad works beautifully for "scuffing"

Which one? What color pad? I'm guessing that the super fine would be
best/safest. Thanks...

Don't the packages LIST the grit equivalent?

Or like some sandpapers,say coarse/medium/fine.(80-100/180-240/400-600)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old June 25th 07, 05:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Steel wool, and a good tack cloth.

--
Steve Barker

ups.com...