DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What's "scuff sanding"? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/204485-whats-scuff-sanding.html)

al June 22nd 07 09:38 PM

What's "scuff sanding"?

Instructions that came with a primed steel door say to scuff sand
before painting. What's the best material to use for that? I'll just
be doing it by hand, no electric sander. Thanks...

dpb June 22nd 07 09:49 PM

What's "scuff sanding"?

al wrote:
Instructions that came with a primed steel door say to scuff sand
before painting. What's the best material to use for that? I'll just
be doing it by hand, no electric sander. Thanks...

That's it -- just a light sanding to "scuff up" the surface slightly to
provide a good surface for bonding...80 to 100 grit good choice.

Jim Yanik June 22nd 07 10:42 PM

What's "scuff sanding"?

dpb wrote in :

al wrote:
Instructions that came with a primed steel door say to scuff sand
before painting. What's the best material to use for that? I'll just
be doing it by hand, no electric sander. Thanks...

That's it -- just a light sanding to "scuff up" the surface slightly to
provide a good surface for bonding...80 to 100 grit good choice.

--

I'd use 240 grit,80-100 will leave visible scratches,may even take off the
primer.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

aemeijers June 23rd 07 05:32 AM

What's "scuff sanding"?

"dpb" wrote in message ...
al wrote:
Instructions that came with a primed steel door say to scuff sand
before painting. What's the best material to use for that? I'll just
be doing it by hand, no electric sander. Thanks...

That's it -- just a light sanding to "scuff up" the surface slightly to
provide a good surface for bonding...80 to 100 grit good choice.

I find a scotch-brite pad or similar does great for things like this.

aem sends...

al June 23rd 07 10:35 AM

What's "scuff sanding"?

On Jun 23, 12:30 am, "Kate" wrote:
A clean, new scotch brite pad works beautifully for "scuffing"

Which one? What color pad? I'm guessing that the super fine would be
best/safest. Thanks...

Jim Yanik June 23rd 07 04:57 PM

What's "scuff sanding"?

"Kate" wrote in
:

A clean, new scotch brite pad works beautifully for "scuffing"

Kate

and doesn't leave steel fibers to screw up your finish like steel wool
does.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Yanik June 23rd 07 04:59 PM

What's "scuff sanding"?

al wrote in
oups.com:

On Jun 23, 12:30 am, "Kate" wrote:
A clean, new scotch brite pad works beautifully for "scuffing"

Which one? What color pad? I'm guessing that the super fine would be
best/safest. Thanks...

Don't the packages LIST the grit equivalent?

Or like some sandpapers,say coarse/medium/fine.(80-100/180-240/400-600)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Steve Barker June 25th 07 05:17 AM

What's "scuff sanding"?

Steel wool, and a good tack cloth.

--
Steve Barker

ups.com...

Steve Barker June 25th 07 05:17 AM

What's "scuff sanding"?

I use the red ones.

--
Steve Barker

"al" wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve Barker June 25th 07 05:18 AM

What's "scuff sanding"?

I thought he was talking about a door, not a show car.

--
Steve Barker

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Kate" wrote in
:

Jim Yanik June 25th 07 03:56 PM

What's "scuff sanding"?

"Steve Barker" wrote in
:

I thought he was talking about a door, not a show car.

For wood,especially;finishes will show RUST spots from the steel fibers.
If you're gonna do it,do it right. The first time.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik