Posted to alt.home.repair
Me Me is offline

Default Whole-house filters?

I am looking into getting a whole-house water filter because we have
hard water and I want to protect my plumbing and fixtures. The last
time we remodeled our bathroom the chrome in the sink drain corroded
within a year. Any thoughts or suggestions on brand/type/size? We
are a four-person family. I would rather have a system that requires
as little maintenance as possible (no filters to change, etc).

-K

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Me wrote:

I am looking into getting a whole-house water filter because we have
hard water and I want to protect my plumbing and fixtures.

Filters don't fix hard water problems. Water softeners do.
You need a water softener.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Me" exclaimed the following:
I am looking into getting a whole-house water filter because we have
hard water and I want to protect my plumbing and fixtures.

Your not looking for a whole house filter but a water softner....

The last
time we remodeled our bathroom the chrome in the sink drain corroded
within a year.

Hmmm, that's either cheap fixture/parts or a serious water issue......

Any thoughts or suggestions on brand/type/size? We
are a four-person family. I would rather have a system that requires
as little maintenance as possible (no filters to change, etc).

Good luck finding anything that is "no maintenance" that actually works.
First place to start is to get your water tested......

-K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 5:00 pm, M Q wrote:
Me wrote:
I am looking into getting a whole-house water filter because we have
hard water and I want to protect my plumbing and fixtures.

Filters don't fix hard water problems. Water softeners do.
You need a water softener.

Agreed. A filter is nice though and I have both filter and softener
on my private well. I put the filter after the pressure tank but
before the softnener. Doing this allows me to have a spigot that is
unsoftened for gardening and such. This would be a good idea for any
install.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:33:35 -0700, Me wrote:

I am looking into getting a whole-house water filter because we have
hard water and I want to protect my plumbing and fixtures. The last
time we remodeled our bathroom the chrome in the sink drain corroded
within a year. Any thoughts or suggestions on brand/type/size? We
are a four-person family. I would rather have a system that requires
as little maintenance as possible (no filters to change, etc).

-K

ditto the water softner.

The corrosion on the chrome was caused by the cleaner you were using,
not the water. When you use the cleaners, rinse with clear water and
wipe and your chrome and other surfaces will stay new for years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ValveJob" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:33:35 -0700, Me wrote:

I am looking into getting a whole-house water filter because we have
hard water and I want to protect my plumbing and fixtures. The last
time we remodeled our bathroom the chrome in the sink drain corroded
within a year. Any thoughts or suggestions on brand/type/size? We
are a four-person family. I would rather have a system that requires
as little maintenance as possible (no filters to change, etc).

-K

ditto the water softner.

The corrosion on the chrome was caused by the cleaner you were using,
not the water. When you use the cleaners, rinse with clear water and
wipe and your chrome and other surfaces will stay new for years.

Check out the Ionics system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 11:12 am, "Dave" wrote:
"ValveJob" wrote in message

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:33:35 -0700, Me wrote:

I am looking into getting a whole-house water filter because we have
hard water and I want to protect my plumbing and fixtures. The last
time we remodeled our bathroom the chrome in the sink drain corroded
within a year. Any thoughts or suggestions on brand/type/size? We
are a four-person family. I would rather have a system that requires
as little maintenance as possible (no filters to change, etc).

-K

ditto the watersoftner.

The corrosion on the chrome was caused by the cleaner you were using,
not the water. When you use the cleaners, rinse with clear water and
wipe and your chrome and other surfaces will stay new for years.

Check out the Ionics system.

Hardness scale also ruins chromed fixtures.

I suggest a correctly sized softener using the Clack WS-1 control
valve.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Whole House Water Filters mcp6453 Home Repair 3 February 22nd 07 03:14 AM
Whole House Water Filters Jerry Home Repair 15 February 17th 07 05:27 PM
3 whole house filters DK Home Repair 7 November 5th 06 07:16 PM
Air Filters - Questions re the ones for the HVAC and seperate plug-in type air filters. Ron Cliborn Home Repair 3 August 13th 06 05:37 PM
Water filters. Whole house? Shower head? Don Wiss Home Repair 7 October 27th 03 12:56 AM