DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Kilz primer.. how old is old? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/204345-kilz-primer-how-old-old.html)

Chuck (in SC) June 21st 07 04:31 AM

Kilz primer.. how old is old?

How long would you keep un used latex primer or paint? I have some
Kilz and some custom mixed paint.. that's 16 months old.. Thinking of
using just enough for a "test strip" first.. after reading someone
else's problem of not drying.... But normally... how old is old?
Chuck (in SC)

ransley June 21st 07 04:37 AM

Kilz primer.. how old is old?

On Jun 20, 8:31 pm, "Chuck (in SC)" none#@alfdj. none wrote:
How long would you keep un used latex primer or paint? I have some
Kilz and some custom mixed paint.. that's 16 months old.. Thinking of
using just enough for a "test strip" first.. after reading someone
else's problem of not drying.... But normally... how old is old?
Chuck (in SC)

If it didnt freeze and brushes out ok it should be fine

Chuck (in SC) June 21st 07 05:14 AM

Kilz primer.. how old is old?

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:37:39 -0700, ransley
wrote:

On Jun 20, 8:31 pm, "Chuck (in SC)" none#@alfdj. none wrote:
How long would you keep un used latex primer or paint? I have some
Kilz and some custom mixed paint.. that's 16 months old.. Thinking of
using just enough for a "test strip" first.. after reading someone
else's problem of not drying.... But normally... how old is old?
Chuck (in SC)

If it didnt freeze and brushes out ok it should be fine

Hasn't been exposed to low temps.. It's kept in the heated / cooled
part of my house.. Two cans of Kilz and one can of paint havn't been
opened since mixing..

Chris Friesen June 21st 07 06:38 AM

Kilz primer.. how old is old?

Chuck (in SC) wrote:

Hasn't been exposed to low temps.. It's kept in the heated / cooled
part of my house.. Two cans of Kilz and one can of paint havn't been
opened since mixing..

The fact that they haven't been opened is good...less space for stuff to
build up. However, you may want to take them in to a store and get them
shaken by machine to mix them up properly again.

Chris

Jack June 21st 07 01:57 PM

Kilz primer.. how old is old?

On Jun 20, 10:31 pm, "Chuck (in SC)" none#@alfdj. none wrote:
How long would you keep un used latex primer or paint? I have some
Kilz and some custom mixed paint.. that's 16 months old.. Thinking of
using just enough for a "test strip" first.. after reading someone
else's problem of not drying.... But normally... how old is old?
Chuck (in SC)

Mix'em good with a paddle or electric mixer and paint, paimt, paint,
to your hearts content. All should go as expected.

Larry W June 21st 07 07:54 PM

Kilz primer.. how old is old?

In article ,
Chuck (in SC) none#@alfdj. none wrote:
How long would you keep un used latex primer or paint? I have some
Kilz and some custom mixed paint.. that's 16 months old.. Thinking of
using just enough for a "test strip" first.. after reading someone
else's problem of not drying.... But normally... how old is old?
Chuck (in SC)

IME if the can is well sealed latex will last far longer than 16 months.
If the paint looks OK after stirring, no lumps, not skinned over, etc. it
should be OK. If you have can that's never been opened since it was purchased
it is almost certain to be OK. as long as in the case of the custom mix,
the lid was sealed properly at the store.

Chuck (in SC) June 22nd 07 06:52 AM

Kilz primer.. how old is old?

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 18:54:30 +0000 (UTC),
(Larry W) wrote:

In article ,
Chuck (in SC) none#@alfdj. none wrote:
How long would you keep un used latex primer or paint? I have some
Kilz and some custom mixed paint.. that's 16 months old.. Thinking of
using just enough for a "test strip" first.. after reading someone
else's problem of not drying.... But normally... how old is old?
Chuck (in SC)

IME if the can is well sealed latex will last far longer than 16 months.
If the paint looks OK after stirring, no lumps, not skinned over, etc. it
should be OK. If you have can that's never been opened since it was purchased
it is almost certain to be OK. as long as in the case of the custom mix,
the lid was sealed properly at the store.

Thanks guys.. now for the painting....
Chuck (in SC)

dpb June 22nd 07 01:43 PM

Kilz primer.. how old is old?

Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Chuck (in SC) none#@alfdj. none wrote:
How long would you keep un used latex primer or paint? I have some
Kilz and some custom mixed paint.. that's 16 months old.. Thinking of
using just enough for a "test strip" first.. after reading someone
else's problem of not drying.... But normally... how old is old?
Chuck (in SC)

IME if the can is well sealed latex will last far longer than 16 months.
If the paint looks OK after stirring, no lumps, not skinned over, etc. it
should be OK. If you have can that's never been opened since it was purchased
it is almost certain to be OK. as long as in the case of the custom mix,
the lid was sealed properly at the store.

Surely...

I've used some old oil paint a primer that Dad bought when the local
farmers' Co-op retail store was closed sometime in the 80s. It's now
been on the shop for about four years and no discernible difference
between its performance vis a vis the brand new that went on the barn.