Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking for durable dishwasher

Hi all,

I have a 7-year-old Maytag dishwasher that is on its last leg. The
engine runs fine (although noisy) and it still washes dishes well.
However, the racks are worn out and many holders are falling apart.
Water at my house is hard and it must be softened. So the high salt
content in the water is making the racks rust prematurely.

I want to avoid this again so I was wondering what features I should
be looking for? Is it worth to spend the extra money on a stainless
steel tub? What about nylon covered racks (as opposed to vinyl)?
What else can help?

Thanks

Martin

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Martin Roy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

I have a 7-year-old Maytag dishwasher that is on its last leg. The
engine runs fine (although noisy) and it still washes dishes well.
However, the racks are worn out and many holders are falling apart.
Water at my house is hard and it must be softened. So the high salt
content in the water is making the racks rust prematurely.

I want to avoid this again so I was wondering what features I should
be looking for? Is it worth to spend the extra money on a stainless
steel tub? What about nylon covered racks (as opposed to vinyl)?
What else can help?

I doubt the tiny amount of sodium in the water is creating the corrosion.
Fact is, we use softened water in industrial boilers to increase their life,
not so they corrode faster.

The racks will corrode once the coating is broken. The coating will be
broken for a few reasons: defective to start with, a low quality coating
that becomes dry and brittle, abuse when loading or unloading the racks,
plain old wear and tear over the years. At 7 years, it is reaching the
point where the racks on any brand or type may start to corrode.. Depends
on use and care too. Once it starts, little will stop it no matter what
type of water you have.

Why do you say it is on its last legs? If it still washes well, it may be
best to invest in a couple of racks instead of a new machine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 10:44?pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 18:49:03 -0700, Martin Roy wrote:
Hi all,

I have a 7-year-old Maytag dishwasher that is on its last leg. The
engine runs fine (although noisy) and it still washes dishes well.
However, the racks are worn out and many holders are falling apart.
Water at my house is hard and it must be softened. So the high salt
content in the water is making the racks rust prematurely.

I want to avoid this again so I was wondering what features I should
be looking for? Is it worth to spend the extra money on a stainless
steel tub? What about nylon covered racks (as opposed to vinyl)?
What else can help?

Thanks

Martin

You got a corrosive environment buy something with the most stainless
inside. And how old are you? You want a dishwasher to last the rest of
your life, good luck unless your 70-80 yrs old.- Hide quoted text -

DONT BUY A BOSCH! They are service piggies. although they are the
quietest, and wash great.

mine is broke again and debating on wether to replace it, 3rd failure
in 3 years

Durable Downspouts steamer Metalworking 25 February 25th 05 04:11 AM
Tung Oil - Durable? B Man Woodworking 16 October 24th 04 10:48 AM
Slatwall durable? WoodMangler Woodworking 15 September 29th 04 07:33 PM
Replacing plastic resin cutlery handles with a more durable(dishwasher safe) medium bay area dave Woodworking 4 July 26th 03 08:04 PM