Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to install 2 windows sde by side.

My house is built with Metal Window frames.
I want to put 2 Double Hung Windows side by side in the same opening.
I can order a Vinyl piece to slide between the 2 windows.
My question is how do i brace the Vinyl piece between the windows so there
will be no movement between the 2 windows.
Can i put a screw in the Head & Sill of the window next to the middle piece
to make it secure ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:02:01 GMT, "desgnr" wrote:

My house is built with Metal Window frames.
I want to put 2 Double Hung Windows side by side in the same opening.

I can order a Vinyl piece to slide between the 2 windows.

This would be a vertical piece called a *mullion* and should have
instructions to attach the windows together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullion

My question is how do i brace the Vinyl piece between the windows so there
will be no movement between the 2 windows.

Can i put a screw in the Head & Sill of the window next to the middle piece
to make it secure ?

You also need to think about keeping the elements out, search for
mulling a window.

One sample.

http://www.pellaimpervia.com/product...l_Mullions.pdf

HTH

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article Zbcei.7735$Fw5.1093@trndny02,
"desgnr" wrote:

My house is built with Metal Window frames.
I want to put 2 Double Hung Windows side by side in the same opening.
I can order a Vinyl piece to slide between the 2 windows.
My question is how do i brace the Vinyl piece between the windows so there
will be no movement between the 2 windows.
Can i put a screw in the Head & Sill of the window next to the middle piece
to make it secure ?

Are you talking about reusing the windows you have? I put in two side by
side like that, but ordered them from the factory that way,
pre-assembled as one unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote:

My house is built with Metal Window frames.
I want to put 2 Double Hung Windows side by side in the same opening.
I can order a Vinyl piece to slide between the 2 windows.
My question is how do i brace the Vinyl piece between the windows so there
will be no movement between the 2 windows.
Can i put a screw in the Head & Sill of the window next to the middle piece
to make it secure ?

Are you talking about reusing the windows you have? I put in two side by
side like that, but ordered them from the factory that way,
pre-assembled as one unit.

On site, the windows are mulled together on a nice floor space,
checked for square and assembled per the instructions.

Do not tweak or torque the unit while lifting into place...use help

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My house is built with Metal Window frames.
I want to put 2 Double Hung Windows side by side in the same opening.
I can order a Vinyl piece to slide between the 2 windows.
My question is how do i brace the Vinyl piece between the windows so there
will be no movement between the 2 windows.
Can i put a screw in the Head & Sill of the window next to the middle piece
to make it secure ?

You should frame all four sides of the window(s). At the very least,
this means a sistered pair of 2x4s between your two side-by-side
windows, with appropriate flashing & weatherstripping. You can cover
this framing any way you like; with the vinyl, for instance.

If you don't have room for proper framing, the window widths need to be
reduced to allow for it.

You shouldn't butt two double hung windows together without something
solid between them.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work: