DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What is a good way to move compacted dirt? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/204259-what-good-way-move-compacted-dirt.html)

** Frank ** June 20th 07 04:53 AM

What is a good way to move compacted dirt?

I have a 3 foot high planter with about 20 yards of compacted dirt in it.
Its really compacted. I went at it with a jack hammer and my 7 hp tiller and
moved about 3 yards of it in the hot sun. I want to remove the dirt on the
planter and spread it around evenly around the yard but at this rate it will
take about 7 days assuming if I don't die in the heat.

I guess I need to rent a Bobcat.

Bob F June 20th 07 06:59 PM

"** Frank **" wrote in message
I have a 3 foot high planter with about 20 yards of compacted dirt in
it. Its really compacted. I went at it with a jack hammer and my 7 hp
tiller and moved about 3 yards of it in the hot sun. I want to remove
the dirt on the planter and spread it around evenly around the yard
but at this rate it will take about 7 days assuming if I don't die in
the heat.

I guess I need to rent a Bobcat.

Soaking it thoroughly will loosen things up. And make them heavier.

Bob

Frank Warner June 20th 07 09:45 PM

What is a good way to move compacted dirt?

In article , Meat Plow
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:53:51 -0700, ** Frank ** wrote:

I have a 3 foot high planter with about 20 yards of compacted dirt in it.
Its really compacted. I went at it with a jack hammer and my 7 hp tiller
and
moved about 3 yards of it in the hot sun. I want to remove the dirt on the
planter and spread it around evenly around the yard but at this rate it
will
take about 7 days assuming if I don't die in the heat.

I guess I need to rent a Bobcat.

Or dynamite.

Teenagers. School's out for summer.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/

aemeijers June 20th 07 09:52 PM

What is a good way to move compacted dirt?

"Frank Warner" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Meat Plow
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:53:51 -0700, ** Frank ** wrote:

I have a 3 foot high planter with about 20 yards of compacted dirt in
it.
Its really compacted. I went at it with a jack hammer and my 7 hp
tiller
and
moved about 3 yards of it in the hot sun. I want to remove the dirt on
the
planter and spread it around evenly around the yard but at this rate it
will
take about 7 days assuming if I don't die in the heat.

I guess I need to rent a Bobcat.

Or dynamite.

Teenagers. School's out for summer.

Lotsa luck finding one interested in outdoor work, these days, most towns.
(and given our sue-happy world, I'd almost be scared to hire casual labor
like that, especially a kid, any more.)

aem sends...

[email protected] June 21st 07 04:09 AM

What is a good way to move compacted dirt?

tear apart planter first. dirt will collapse easier.

been there done this twice:)