Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Default Replacing galvanized water pipe with copper

During the course of trying to tee off my main water supply pipe (to
feed a new sprinkler system), I've encountered the need to replace my
old 3/4" galvanized steel supply pipe with 1" copper pipe. I've
received quotes from three plumbers ranging from $700 to $1000, so I'm
trying to figure out whether it's the type of project that a plumbing
newbie can handle. I'm nervous about screwing it up and being without
water for several days.

I have a photo illustration of the project the project on my website
(http://snice.net/pipe/) that will give you an idea of the scale.
It's about 20" from the union with the city pipe to my copper
sprinkler tee. It runs uphill and jinks slightly, and having never
worked with copper before, I'm uncertain as to whether I'll be working
with a blowtorch to bend or joint my along.

Also with the connections, is it as easy as it looks? Just get a pipe
wrench and screw the pipes together?

Appreciate any insight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are you able to get to the city valve?
If so, it looks pretty straightforward, as it looks like the endpoint is a
brass coupling.
Altho it would help to have *some* experience.
And, if so, you could always improvise w/ a garden hose 'til you figger
things out.
There are basically two ways to go: all threaded w/ brass, or
threaded/sweat, for copper.

If not, you'll *still* be connecting to galvanized, and possibly not even at
a thread. This is dicey-er.
If at a thread, you can put on a standard adapter and proceed.
If at cut galvanized, I figger there's some kind of adapter (a shoulder
coupling is one, but probably not something you'd want to bury), or you can
thread the cut galvanized--not so easy, but doable.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"Ken" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Are you able to get to the city valve?
If you're referring to the main shutoff valve at the water meter, yes,
I have full access. From the water meter, there is a copper pipe that
runs under the sidewalk onto my property. Once it's a foot or so on
my property, there is a fitting (union?) from which point it's
galvanized steel. I'd like to start my copper at this union (rather
than the meter) if you think that's a decent plan. It would save me
having to dig under the sidewalk. I fully understand what this
fitting is. Can I sweat a threaded fitting onto my new copper pipe
and screw into this fitting?

If so, it looks pretty straightforward, as it looks like
the endpoint is a brass coupling.

I was assuming from my limited research that this was a "dielectric
union". I'm encouraged that you think it'll be a simple matter to
connect to this, though I'm trying to learn how.

There are basically two ways to go: all threaded w/ brass,
or threaded/sweat, for copper.

I don't quite understand this lingo. When you say "threaded w/brass",
do you mean that I would thread the new copper pipe and then screw it
into the brass fitting at the endpoint?

When you say "threaded/sweat, for copper", do you mean that I would
sweat a threaded fitting onto the end of my new copper pipe and then
screw that onto the union at the endpoint?

If not, you'll *still* be connecting to galvanized, and possibly not even at
a thread. This is dicey-er.

You really lost me here; I thought that the only galvanized steel
that would be left in the equation was the few inches between my
sprinkler tee and the foundation.

Thanks very much for your help.

On Jun 18, 9:18 pm, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:
Are you able to get to the city valve?

Altho it would help to have *some* experience.
And, if so, you could always improvise w/ a garden hose 'til you figger
things out.

If not, you'll *still* be connecting to galvanized, and possibly not even at
a thread. This is dicey-er.
If at a thread, you can put on a standard adapter and proceed.
If at cut galvanized, I figger there's some kind of adapter (a shoulder
coupling is one, but probably not something you'd want to bury), or you can
thread the cut galvanized--not so easy, but doable.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"Ken" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Appreciate any insight.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

This is my start point where (I hope) to start my new copper pipe:
http://snice.net/pipe/startpoint.jpg

This is my end point.
http://snice.net/pipe/endpoint.jpg

Can someone advise me on the fittings that I'll need to connect these
points?

wrote:
Are you able to get to the city valve?
Altho it would help to have *some* experience.
And, if so, you could always improvise w/ a garden hose 'til you figger
things out.

If not, you'll *still* be connecting to galvanized, and possibly not even at
a thread. This is dicey-er.
If at a thread, you can put on a standard adapter and proceed.
If at cut galvanized, I figger there's some kind of adapter (a shoulder
coupling is one, but probably not something you'd want to bury), or you can
thread the cut galvanized--not so easy, but doable.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"Ken" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ok--

(I'm a diy-er, not a plumber)

At the meter side, it looks like that funny coupling doodad is threaded onto
brass.
I would remove that and use a "female copper adapter", which allows the
transition from threaded pipe to sweated copper.

At the end point, it looks like a brass coupling, and I would either keep
the coupling and put a "male copper adapter", or remove the coupling and put
a female copper adapter on the pipe.

Here's how:

I would take 1-2 feet of copper pipe, sweat on the adapter, and THEN dope up
the threaded end (when cool, of course), and thread on to the existing pipe.
This way, heat won't mess with the teflon tape/pipe dope used on pipe
threads.

Then, sweat on a copper coupling on the copper tube, and continue the run.

If you need to bend the pipe slightly, you can use a "hickey" used for
electrical tubing.
Or your knee.

People disagree on what to use on pipe threads for sealing.
I've had inconsistent results with teflon tape.
Old hercules pro dope and thread is a pita, but guarownteed.
They make new high falutin and pretty pricey teflon pipe thread dopes, that
plumbing houses carry/recommend. They seem pretty good.

You gotta know how to sweat copper. Some people have a knack, others need
some practice. It's real quick, once you know how. Clean super brite w/
coarse steel wool, flux, sweat.

Not kidding about the garden hose. They make fittings for garden hose, so
you can make temporary connections until you finish the job. ie, sweat so
the joints don't leak.

When using a pipe wrench, always use two, so that you don't stress the pipe
"downstream". Breaking inaccessible joints can be a bitch.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

entropic3.14decay at optonline2.718 dot net; remove pi and e to
reply--ie,
all d'numbuhs

"Ken" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, Ken wrote:
During the course of trying to tee off my main water supply pipe (to
feed a new sprinkler system), I've encountered the need to replace my
old 3/4" galvanized steel supply pipe with 1" copper pipe.

Why do you need to replace it with copper? Any reason you can't use plastic?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why do you need to replace it with copper? Any reason you can't use plastic?

--
Regards,
Doug Miller

replace the entire line from copper at sidewalk to house with PEX, its
plastic last forever, tolerates minor freezes, really low cost and
easy to work with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 12:46 am, Ken wrote:

You really lost me here; I thought that the only galvanized steel
that would be left in the equation was the few inches between my
sprinkler tee and the foundation.

Why not replace all the galvanized pipe, no matter how short the run,
when you have it all exposed?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Why not replace all the galvanized pipe, no matter how short the run,
when you have it all exposed?

I don't have a great answer; I just saw it going into my foundation
and because that portion is relatively protected from moisture, it
looks to be in fairly good shape. Also, my plumber said that when you
start sawing old galvanized pipe, you risk creating leaks all along
the line.

On Jun 19, 6:25 am, jimleong wrote:
On Jun 19, 12:46 am, Ken wrote:

You really lost me here; I thought that the only galvanized steel
that would be left in the equation was the few inches between my
sprinkler tee and the foundation.

Why not replace all the galvanized pipe, no matter how short the run,
when you have it all exposed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd convert to PVC at the first available possible point and forget the
copper hassle.

--
Steve Barker

"Ken" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 8:46?pm, "Proctologically Violated??"
wrote:
Might need an alternate ground, then.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

I'd convert to PVC at the first available possible point and forget the
copper hassle.

--
Steve Barker

"Ken" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

leave existing steel line in place and electrically connected, also
could add a ground strap between abandoned water line and city water
connection

Posted to alt.home.repair

Water pipes are not an accepted ground anyway. There should be a minimum of
two 8' ground rods at least six feet apart doing the grounding duties.

--
Steve Barker

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message ...