DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to remove Kohler shower faucet handle (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/204148-how-remove-kohler-shower-faucet-handle.html)

[email protected] June 18th 07 11:54 PM

How to remove Kohler shower faucet handle

Hi,
I have the Kohler "Purist® Rite-Temp® pressure-balancing bath and
shower faucet trim with push-button diverter and cross handle". I need
help removing the handle and faceplate. There is no center screw in
the handle, but set screw on the handle stem which I assume holds the
handle in place. My set screw is missing but I still cannot remove the
handle. Can anyone help?
Sue

Oren June 19th 07 12:01 AM

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:54:22 -0000, wrote:

Hi,
I have the Kohler "Purist® Rite-Temp® pressure-balancing bath and
shower faucet trim with push-button diverter and cross handle". I need
help removing the handle and faceplate. There is no center screw in
the handle, but set screw on the handle stem which I assume holds the
handle in place. My set screw is missing but I still cannot remove the
handle. Can anyone help?
Sue

Corrosion of the stem can make it difficult to remove the handle. Hard
water?

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..

[email protected] June 19th 07 12:06 AM

On Jun 18, 5:01 pm, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:54:22 -0000, wrote:
Hi,
I have the Kohler "Purist® Rite-Temp® pressure-balancing bath and
shower faucet trim with push-button diverter and cross handle". I need
help removing the handle and faceplate. There is no center screw in
the handle, but set screw on the handle stem which I assume holds the
handle in place. My set screw is missing but I still cannot remove the
handle. Can anyone help?
Sue

Corrosion of the stem can make it difficult to remove the handle. Hard
water?

--
Oren

Yes, hard water. The faucet has only been in for 6 months though. Can
I try to bang it off?

Sue

Oren June 19th 07 12:23 AM

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 23:06:19 -0000, wrote:

On Jun 18, 5:01 pm, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:54:22 -0000, wrote:
Hi,
I have the Kohler "Purist® Rite-Temp® pressure-balancing bath and
shower faucet trim with push-button diverter and cross handle". I need
help removing the handle and faceplate. There is no center screw in
the handle, but set screw on the handle stem which I assume holds the
handle in place. My set screw is missing but I still cannot remove the
handle. Can anyone help?
Sue

Corrosion of the stem can make it difficult to remove the handle. Hard
water?

Yes, hard water. The faucet has only been in for 6 months though. Can
I try to bang it off?

Sue

Try a solution to dissolve to build up. Try vinegar/water spray or
what you might already have.

As much as I like to bang on things; in this case I would try to
wiggle it off.

taos_sue June 19th 07 12:53 AM

How to remove Kohler shower faucet handle

Stupid question, I know, but does the water have to be turned off ?
(At my house the only water shut-off is in the well...)

Sue

Abe June 19th 07 06:54 AM

How to remove Kohler shower faucet handle

Stupid question, I know, but does the water have to be turned off ?
(At my house the only water shut-off is in the well...)

Not at all. leave the water on (chuckle, chuckle)

mm June 19th 07 10:08 AM

How to remove Kohler shower faucet handle

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 23:53:10 -0000, taos_sue
wrote:

Stupid question, I know, but does the water have to be turned off ?
(At my house the only water shut-off is in the well...)

If you are only taking the handle off, I don't think so.

BTW, any chance the set screw is there but it's covered by soap and
soap scum etc.?

Sue

taos_sue June 19th 07 04:32 PM

wrote:

Stupid question, I know, but does the water have to be turned off ?
(At my house the only water shut-off is in the well...)

If you are only taking the handle off, I don't think so.

BTW, any chance the set screw is there but it's covered by soap and
soap scum etc.?

Sue- Hide quoted text -

I am only taking off the handle and the back plate in order to re-
tile. There is no set screw, but I do see where it should go. I should
mention that this faucet has been in a few months but has rarely been
turned on (guest bath). There is no soap scum of hard water residue.
Am I right that the handle should just pull off?

Jeff Wisnia June 19th 07 04:51 PM

wrote:
On Jun 18, 5:01 pm, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:54:22 -0000, wrote:

Hi,
I have the Kohler "Purist® Rite-Temp® pressure-balancing bath and
shower faucet trim with push-button diverter and cross handle". I need
help removing the handle and faceplate. There is no center screw in
the handle, but set screw on the handle stem which I assume holds the
handle in place. My set screw is missing but I still cannot remove the
handle. Can anyone help?
Sue

Corrosion of the stem can make it difficult to remove the handle. Hard
water?

--
Oren

Yes, hard water. The faucet has only been in for 6 months though. Can
I try to bang it off?

Sue

Please don't be insulted, but I have to ask if you are certain what the
term "set screw" denotes.

A set screw does not have a head larger than the threaded hole it's
screwed into, and most often in faucet handles it has an "Allen head"
recess in it's accessable end.

So, just in case you see some threads in the "empty" screw hole and
assume there's no thing in there, don't be positive about that until you
try to engage a possible set screw with an appropriate sized Allen wrench.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

taos_sue June 19th 07 05:25 PM

How to remove Kohler shower faucet handle

YES! Thank you. The set screw was tiny - and way inside. You saved me
a plumber visit.

Sue

Jeff Wisnia June 19th 07 05:45 PM

taos_sue wrote:

YES! Thank you. The set screw was tiny - and way inside. You saved me
a plumber visit.

Sue

As a fan of "Will and Grace" reruns, all I can say is:

http://www.durfee.net/will/media/waves/ToldYaSo.wav

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

mm June 19th 07 11:46 PM

How to remove Kohler shower faucet handle

wrote:

Stupid question, I know, but does the water have to be turned off ?
(At my house the only water shut-off is in the well...)

If you are only taking the handle off, I don't think so.

BTW, any chance the set screw is there but it's covered by soap and
soap scum etc.?

I am only taking off the handle and the back plate in order to re-
tile. There is no set screw, but I do see where it should go. I should
mention that this faucet has been in a few months but has rarely been
turned on (guest bath). There is no soap scum of hard water residue.
Am I right that the handle should just pull off?

Well, I don't know- I have no experience with one-handeld faucets
--but another thing you can do is go look at a Kohler facuet at a
hardware store adn see how it is made, or better yet, read the
instructinos that come with it. Probably all models are simlar, or
find close to your model.