Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snake sunning on my tentant's front steps

I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake -
harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

Thanks,
Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, OldRoads wrote:
I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake -
harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

Probably easier to educate the tenant.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 2:43 pm, OldRoads wrote:
I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake -
harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

Thanks,
Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycleshttp://OldRoads.com

ever seen a Rat snake? i live in mass, and the first time (and
everytime) i've seen one of those, well, let me tell ya, its a
jarring experience.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

longshot wrote:
"OldRoads" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake -
harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

Thanks,
Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Remove its head?

I normally remove the tail instead...

(Although for anything but venomous would rarely resort to such extremes...)

But, if it is frequenting the same area, probably means it has a nest
nearby and while overall they're a good ecological niche-filler, having
an infestation right at an entrance is probably not a good thing (tm)...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"OldRoads" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake -
harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

Thanks,
Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Snakes aren't territorial, so if you can just scare it away a couple of
times it will move on to a different location. In the meantime, whether its
a garter snake or rat snake, it's helping rid the area of other undesireable
critters --

Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

"longshot" wrote in message

"OldRoads" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake -
harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

Thanks,
Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Remove its head?

put some pieces of carpet tape here and there on the stoop. If you want it
to work the first time, put the carpet tape on top of some clear plastic.
(Works for pets on the sofa, too)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:43:59 -0700, OldRoads
wrote:

I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake -
harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

I think you will have problems with your tenant if you continue to
describe him in such unflattering terms.

Thanks,
Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimR" wrote in
nk.net:

"OldRoads" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake -
harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

Thanks,
Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Snakes aren't territorial, so if you can just scare it away a couple
of times it will move on to a different location. In the meantime,
whether its a garter snake or rat snake, it's helping rid the area of
other undesireable critters --

It could also be a copperhead.(venomous)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Is this a classic tenant that won't lift a finger to help him/herself, wants
the landlord to fix/make good everything. Animals that are outside and move
on their own accord should be worked out between the tenant and the animal,
not needing you to intervene.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...
In article . com,
OldRoads wrote:
I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake -
harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

Probably easier to educate the tenant.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Jun 18, 1:43 pm, OldRoads wrote:
I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake -
harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

Thanks,
Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycleshttp://OldRoads.com

There is a product widely available called "Snake Away". It's in
powder form and the primary ingredient is sulfur. Snakes do not like
to crawl across it, but it does no harm to the snake, people, or
environment. Sprinkle it around the apartment and steps and the snake
will move to a more suitable location.

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Absolutely correct, when they find a spot they like, they'll keep returning
to it, but if she just disturbs it a couple of times, it'll move on... and
the real vermin will return

"JimR" wrote in message
nk.net...

"OldRoads" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake -
harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

Thanks,
Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Snakes aren't territorial, so if you can just scare it away a couple of
times it will move on to a different location. In the meantime, whether
its a garter snake or rat snake, it's helping rid the area of other
undesireable critters --

Posted to alt.home.repair

"OldRoads" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake -
harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

The way I look at it, the snake wouldn't be there if it didn't have food;
and I would rather have a snake than rodents.
My wife doesn't agree with me on this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Snake sunning on my tentant's front steps

You need to learn how to type OT when you're not going to bother with the
OP's question. Such comments and opinions are a dime a dozen and stupid at
best.

OldRoads wrote:
I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake
- harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

Probably easier to educate the tenant.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

OldRoads wrote:
I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake -
harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

Thanks,
Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Boy, did you start a thread and a half! LOL!

Chimes will often deter garter and grass snakes if htere is usually any
breeze. You can spread pepper around where it goes to/from the step, and
even on the step; they don't like it. Tinfoil can sometimes be effective if
you can get it to not blow away easily. Moth balls if he's coming from
under the steps or along the foundation or the like. Do something to shade
that part of the step so it doesn't get warm from the sun.
If it has a timed "schedule" noise will usually send it away. After a few
times he'll stop coming back, whatever method you use.
I had a "pet" snake that used to curl up under my fire bushes and watch
me cut the grass EVERY weekend. I actually missed him when he disappeared;
it just wasn't the same anymore g Snakes are also good for keeping mice
and moles at bay.

HTH
Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

OldRoads wrote:
I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake -
harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

Thanks,
Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

I would suggest she call animal control. Then I would stop answering
the phone when she calls. Good grief!
Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:

Animals that are outside and
move on their own accord should be worked out between the tenant and the
animal, not needing you to intervene.

LOL, I like how you put it. Something makes me think the poor snake is not
going to be happy about the arrangement :-)

D~

News and Discussions Community of the Net
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article et,
Norminn wrote:

I would suggest she call animal control. Then I would stop answering
the phone when she calls. Good grief!

I'd remind her that the lease said no pets... then send her to animal
control.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:26:45 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

Is this a classic tenant that won't lift a finger to help him/herself, wants
the landlord to fix/make good everything. Animals that are outside and move
on their own accord should be worked out between the tenant and the animal,
not needing you to intervene.

The tenant does need to make some decisions. If they called me, about
an alligator in the pool... dial 911..!

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Thought I was on topic. Why does the landlord have to do anything about a
snake outdoors? Indoors, it may be his problem, but outdoors it shouldn't be
his to deal with. Why is this stupid? Next the tenant will want him to keep
the neighbourhood's children quiet.

OldRoads wrote:
I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake
- harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

Probably easier to educate the tenant.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:25:54 GMT, "Pop`"
wrote:

I had a "pet" snake that used to curl up under my fire bushes and watch
me cut the grass EVERY weekend. I actually missed him when he disappeared;
it just wasn't the same anymore g

Very interesting. I usually hate it when people come up with "good
reasons" for aniimal behaviour, ignoring the possibility that they
*want* to do things.

But in this case, any chance he was waiting for things you stirred up
when you mowed the lawn. I've often gone much too long without mowing
the lawn, and I've learned to go through the yard scaring out the
rabbits when I do that. I don't want to be responsible for suprising,
if that is possible, one and chopping it up.

Maybe the snake is waiting for things he can eat to come out? I don't
know enough about snakes to know.

I would miss him too. Even if he had an ulterior motive, it's good
for us to relate to the other parts of the animal world.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
OldRoads wrote:

I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake -
harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

Thanks,
Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Block the sun with a patio umbrella.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm thinking it has taken residence because there is some sort of food
supply nearby.

Two thoughts..
Could there be mice or other small varmints that it is feedig on?

Another thought is that if the steps are a dark color they will absorb heat
more quickly than if they are light in color. Maybe consider a color change.

As far as killing the snake.. I've killed my share of them but if there is a
way to run it off that might be more humane.

It may be living under the steps or in a crawl space. Maybe look for it's
point of entry and block it.

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake -
harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

I think you will have problems with your tenant if you continue to
describe him in such unflattering terms.

Huh? What exactly was the unflattering term the OP used?

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Jun 18, 5:25 pm, "Pop`" wrote:

I had a "pet" snake that used to curl up under my fire bushes and watch
me cut the grass EVERY weekend. I actually missed him when he disappeared;

OK, since you bought it up I just have to share this story. I had been
painting, finished, and went behind the shed to clean my brushes. I
squatted down, cleaned several, stood up and started slinging water
out of them. On a downward arc of my hand, I saw a large ball of
rattlesnake about 4ft to my side. It was just watching me without
making a sound. I eased away, got my rifle and dispatched it. 14
rattles & a button. It could have struck anytime it wanted but just
seemed content to watch me.

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

spread some mothballs in the area.snakes hate mothballs. we had some
snakes in an old car,put moth balls in and under it and watched the
snakes leave. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:25:54 GMT, Pop` wrote:

Chimes will often deter garter and grass snakes if htere is usually any
breeze.

If it has a timed "schedule" noise will usually send it away. After a few
times he'll stop coming back, whatever method you use.

Snakes don't have external ears. They likely would never hear a chime.
If a chome does deter the snake, it is because of the constant motion,
rather than the sound. So you' have to have the chime rather low to the
ground.

Do something to shade that part of the step so it doesn't get warm
from the sun.

This is the best idea.

I had a "pet" snake that used to curl up under my fire bushes and watch
me cut the grass EVERY weekend. I actually missed him when he disappeared;
it just wasn't the same anymore g Snakes are also good for keeping mice
and moles at bay.

Some snakes. Not garter snakes, though. They are semiaquatic, and prefer
frogs, fish, slugs and earthworms.

--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on
the front steps of the apartment.
I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake -
harmless and common in Massachusetts.

Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?

I think you will have problems with your tenant if you continue to
describe him in such unflattering terms.

Huh? What exactly was the unflattering term the OP used?

Didn't he say his tenant was a snake who sunned himself on the front
porch?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you will have problems with your tenant if you continue to
describe him in such unflattering terms.

I'm the original poster with the snake problem.
What unflattering terms did I use in describing my tenant????

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
oldroads wrote:

I think you will have problems with your tenant if you continue to
describe him in such unflattering terms.

I'm the original poster with the snake problem.
What unflattering terms did I use in describing my tenant????

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Sheesh, this was someone's joke based on perceived ambiguity in the
sentence structure -- you *might* have been calling your tenant a snake.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 10:13 am, oldroads wrote:
I think you will have problems with your tenant if you continue to
describe him in such unflattering terms.

I'm the original poster with the snake problem.
What unflattering terms did I use in describing my tenant????

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycleshttp://OldRoads.com

Oy.
Anyway, I saw the snake yesterday. It's a garter snake, maybe 2 feet
long.
I could have dispatched him with a shovel.
Call me a weenie but I'll try the mothballs and other stuff first.
There are plenty of other places for him to hang out and enjoy his
snake life (the snake, not the tenant. I like the tenant.).

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 9:33 am, oldroads wrote:
On Jun 20, 10:13 am, oldroads wrote:

I think you will have problems with your tenant if you continue to
describe him in such unflattering terms.

I'm the original poster with the snake problem.
What unflattering terms did I use in describing my tenant????

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycleshttp://OldRoads.com

Oy.
Anyway, I saw the snake yesterday. It's a garter snake, maybe 2 feet
long.
I could have dispatched him with a shovel.
Call me a weenie but I'll try the mothballs and other stuff first.
There are plenty of other places for him to hang out and enjoy his
snake life (the snake, not the tenant. I like the tenant.).

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycleshttp://OldRoads.com

Good for you. No reason to kill a snake that is no threat to
people. I call that a mature, intelligent reaction, not a weenie one!

Jo Ann