Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Building Stares...

Ok my building isn't staring at me. But I bet more people will click on
this with my misspelled title than if I said 'building stairs'..??

Anyway. I have a drop off in the rear of my property that I'd like to
build steps down to. I'd like to build a small stairway to it. But I
have no idea how to build a stringer (?) to attach stairs to. I could
figure out how to anchor them and attache the steps but the whole right
angle thing with the square thing..?? I'm lost...

I have to some how lay the stringers against the slope and cut in right
angles ??? That's a guess from observing over the years. And how far
aparts should the steps be and what is the rise and run formula if any
(or is that reserved for roofs?)...

I guess I could cut 2 4x4 x 8's in half and sink them for every step and
tie it all together with a common railing of some sort. That just seems
more expensive.

TIA
Charles

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. I saved that. That's about as good as it gets...')
CP

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is there a hands on way. That doesn't want to work with my webtv. And
my computer has been messin' up my eyes really bad lately..Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 6:16?pm, wrote:
Is there a hands on way. That doesn't want to work with my webtv. And
my computer has been messin' up my eyes really bad lately..Thanks

buy pre cut stringers at a building center.

you will have to accept the slope they carry but it might be right for
you

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 4:53 pm, wrote:
Building Stares...

Group: alt.home.repair Date: Sun, Jun 17, 2007, 11:20pm (EDT+4) From:

On Jun 17, 6:16?pm, wrote:
Is there a hands on way. That doesn't want to work with my webtv. And my
computer has been messin' up my eyes really bad lately..Thanks
buy pre cut stringers at a building center.
you will have to accept the slope they carry but it might be right for
you

Thanks ..I'll look for it. May be I can make it work..

Go to your local library and check out a 'how to' book on basic house
framing. Most of them will give very detailed instructions on the
procedure.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

A lot of work for something that will rot away quickly. You need stone or
concrete steps for an application like that. If you have heart set on wood,
it should be atop concrete piers. Find a DIY book on 'porches and decks'- it
will tell all you need to know. This is basically a deck or patio, just not
attached to the house.

aem sends....