DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Limestone dust vs. sand for concrete base (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/204022-limestone-dust-vs-sand-concrete-base.html)

Steve IA June 17th 07 08:29 PM

Limestone dust vs. sand for concrete base

I am pouring a small sidewalk area with concrete. I have a large supply of
limestone (1/2" small rocks and dust) available close at hand, but would
have to buy and haul sand to use as the base for the concrete. Can the
limestone be used successfully instead of the sand? Given that either will
be tamped well before concrete poured. Thank you.
Steve
southiowa

RicodJour June 17th 07 09:23 PM

On Jun 17, 3:29 pm, Steve IA wrote:
I am pouring a small sidewalk area with concrete. I have a large supply of
limestone (1/2" small rocks and dust) available close at hand, but would
have to buy and haul sand to use as the base for the concrete. Can the
limestone be used successfully instead of the sand? Given that either will
be tamped well before concrete poured. Thank you.

As long as the limestone has a range of sizes - from dust to pebbles -
and you compact it well, that'll be fine.

BTW, most people would omit the aggregate base layer when placing a
concrete sidewalk unless there was a problem with drainage or clay
soil. Compacting the dirt (non-organic, not topsoil) would work as
well otherwise.