Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Honda Mower Antics

Well, I pulled the Honda 5.5hp self propelled lawnmower out of a storage
unit after sitting for more than a year.

Yeah, I know. Don't start.

The thing started, but blew oil and gas out the exhaust in big volumes.

So, I did the smart thing, and shut it off.

I then turned it over and drained the bad gas. I refilled with fresh, and
checked the oil level, which was good.

I refired it, and it ran, but smoked quite a bit. I had to run it with the
choke on to keep it running. I mowed a small area, and the whole time, it
ran better and better with less smoke. I stopped a couple of times to check
the oil level, which was always good.

What was all that stuff that blew out at first?

I'm going to change oil, and drain and refill the tank once again before
doing any mowing. For a moment there, I thought it had blown a ring.

Anyone have one of these act like this? I hope to use it on a regular
enough basis now that it won't sit long enough for the gas to go bad.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:48:02 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Well, I pulled the Honda 5.5hp self propelled lawnmower out of a storage
unit after sitting for more than a year.

Yeah, I know. Don't start.

The thing started, but blew oil and gas out the exhaust in big volumes.

So, I did the smart thing, and shut it off.

I then turned it over and drained the bad gas. I refilled with fresh, and
checked the oil level, which was good.

I refired it, and it ran, but smoked quite a bit. I had to run it with the
choke on to keep it running. I mowed a small area, and the whole time, it
ran better and better with less smoke. I stopped a couple of times to check
the oil level, which was always good.

What was all that stuff that blew out at first?

I'm going to change oil, and drain and refill the tank once again before
doing any mowing. For a moment there, I thought it had blown a ring.

Not a blown ring, but maybe stuck so fuel and oil got out the exhaust.
Pour some fuel into the cylinder (plug out and rotate the crank) and
let it loosen the rings.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know about Honda but Briggs or Tecumseh should never be turned
upside down unless the oil has been removed first. Oil will migrate from the
base to the top of the engine and cause severe smoking etc. After you have
changed the oil and have the thing started, keep it running and the smoking
should subside.
"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

My 14" gas 2-stroke cutoff saw acts like this. Too much oil in the gas mix,
runs rich and fouls the plug until I let it run for a minute.

My Honda 4-stroke mower doesn't have this problem but I would agree with
others that you got oil on the top of the cylinder. If it won't start after
couple of pulls, remove the plug and I bet its fouled with oil. Bad ring or
valve?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 7:18 pm, "** Frank **" wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

valve?- Hide quoted text -

Hondas are notorious for smoking on startup. Mine (two) have done it
since they were new. Of course the oldest one (ca 25 yrs) now smokes
like a lawn fogger now until a load (blade clutch engaged) is applied
then it clears up. Still starts first pull every time except first
time in spring now. Usually 2 or 3 pulls then.

Harry K