Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ceramic tile

I have removed carpeting from a basement slab on grade, no water problems.
I now have an adhesive surface and the floor is not level. It has slight
undulations in the concrete surface.
What is the best way to treat this surface in order to apply the ceramic
tile?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 8:30 pm, "novice"
wrote:
I have removed carpeting from a basement slab on grade, no water problems.
I now have an adhesive surface and the floor is not level. It has slight
undulations in the concrete surface.
What is the best way to treat this surface in order to apply the ceramic
tile?

There are various brands of self leveling products that can be applied
over the slab to fill in the dips. Go to a tile store, as opposed to
home center, and talk to an experienced employee.

Tiling should be considered a project that starts with the sub-floor
and ends with a sealer and cleaner. Different sizes and types of tile
will required different underlayments, adhesives, trowel notch size,
grout and grout spacing, etc.

While you might get lucky and find a home center employee that knows
his/her stuff, the odds are better that you'll get more complete
information and all of the correct materials from a tile shop. You
also have a better chance of having a person dedicated to your
project should you need help during the installation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 19:30:16 -0500, "novice"
wrote:

I have removed carpeting from a basement slab on grade, no water problems.
I now have an adhesive surface and the floor is not level. It has slight
undulations in the concrete surface.
What is the best way to treat this surface in order to apply the ceramic
tile?

I've never noticed ceramic tile on a slab having much of a tendency
to get up and run away.

If you use the correct adhesive (ie. expensive), you can smear it on
thick and then level the tile somewhat as needed. It ain't going
anywhere and it sounds better with the thicker adhesive.

If your undulations are over a 1/2 inch then I suggest you level with
the concrete leveling mix.