Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing Briggs & Stratton 402707 16 hp on Simplicity 6216 Tractor

My garden tractor is a Simplicity 6216. The engine, a circa 1983,
verticle, 16 hp Briggs 404707 type 0145 has a bound up crank.

They don't make a replacement engine. I found a 18.5 hp Briggs 42A707
type 2238. Its a Vanguard(meaning commercial grade). It appears to be
identicle to the 402707 under the engine covers. The mounting hole are
a little off. Not knowing what I'm doing, I would guess that my
biggest worry would be matching the crank sizes where it drives the
belts. The pulleys need to be properly aligned.

Any ideas if this is a doable project?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sofasurfer" wrote in message
oups.com...
My garden tractor is a Simplicity 6216. The engine, a circa 1983,
verticle, 16 hp Briggs 404707 type 0145 has a bound up crank.

They don't make a replacement engine. I found a 18.5 hp Briggs 42A707
type 2238. Its a Vanguard(meaning commercial grade). It appears to be
identicle to the 402707 under the engine covers. The mounting hole are
a little off. Not knowing what I'm doing, I would guess that my
biggest worry would be matching the crank sizes where it drives the
belts. The pulleys need to be properly aligned.

Any ideas if this is a doable project?

I would think that the holes should have lined up. It's my observation that
the tractor manufacturers put extra holes in the frames for the various
motors they use. However, I think the most important is that the crank is
the same length and diameter as the old engine, otherwise the pulley won't
fit or line up with the belt path. I just put together a mower for my son
in law by installing an old one cylinder briggs 12 hp where there had been a
20.5 hp twin briggs. Everything fit fine. Had to modify the wiring
slightly and put a different muffler on. But it works just fine for mowing.
Wouldn't want to try to push a snow plow with it but he only needed a grass
cutter.

Tom G.