Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unglazed ceramic tile question...

Hi all -

Looking for a little information on unglazed ceramic tiles... I've
installed regular glazed tile before, but not the unglazed ones.

- Are all unglazed ceramic tiles porcelain?

- Do I need to worry about staining the tile with the thinset mix or grout?
Never had to worry about getting it on the tops of regular tile...

- How do you make the cuts? I read that you can't just score them with the
blade machine... do I need a wetsaw to make all of the cuts?

- Will I need to reseal it now and again?

Anything else to be aware of that is different from regular ceramic?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Alex writes:

- Are all unglazed ceramic tiles porcelain?

No. What's the water absorption spec? If no spec, then measure it
yourself.

- Do I need to worry about staining the tile with the thinset mix or
grout?

Just test one.

- How do you make the cuts? I read that you can't just score them
with the blade machine... do I need a wetsaw to make all of the cuts?

Depends on the tile. Typically you must saw.

- Will I need to reseal it now and again?

Define "seal". Clear paint type? Wax or silicone water repellant type?
Porcelain should be non-absorptive. Anything less you will regret under
traffic.

"Sealer" is the wrong term for tile sealers.