Posted to alt.home.repair
Me Me is offline

Default dove-tail vs non-dovetail?

What percent difference in price are cabinets with dovetail
construction vs those without? What is the advantage of dovetail?
Stronger? Longer lasting?

-K

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Me wrote:
What percent difference in price are cabinets with dovetail
construction vs those without? What is the advantage of dovetail?
Stronger? Longer lasting?

Impossible to say -- too many other factors. Could even find a cabinet
w/ dovetail construction less than some others w/o.
Generally better construction.
Yes (as opposed to simple staples/brads, etc.)
Yes (as opposed to simple staples/brads, etc.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:01:35 -0700, Me wrote:

What percent difference in price are cabinets with dovetail
construction vs those without? What is the advantage of dovetail?
Stronger? Longer lasting?

-K

Dovetail joints are very strong, traditional, and look good. They can
be cut by hand or machine. Often more expensive furniture includes
dovetail joints, but that can be a small factor in price differences.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Dovetail joints are very strong, traditional, and look good. They can
be cut by hand or machine. Often more expensive furniture includes
dovetail joints, but that can be a small factor in price differences.

Today, with machines dovetails can be cut cheaply to look like quality
furniture even if the rest of it is second rate. The had cut ones are the
mark of a true craftsman as they are time consuming and take some skill.
I've yet to even try one, let alone a series of them on a drawer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 8:01 pm, Me wrote:
What percent difference in price are cabinets with dovetail
construction vs those without? What is the advantage of dovetail?
Stronger? Longer lasting?

-K

Pull open a drawer and look at the joint, think about the forces
acting on it as you pull and push on the drawer. The nice thing about
a dovetail joint is that the parts kind of lock together mechanically,
so you're not relying on the glue to hold it together. (It should
still be glued of course). In an antique shop you can find furniture
with dovetail joints that have held together for a long time. It's
not the only kind of good joint there is, but it is a very good kind.
You could probably get a more informed answer in rec.woodworking. -- H

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Me" wrote in message
oups.com...
What percent difference in price are cabinets with dovetail
construction vs those without? What is the advantage of dovetail?
Stronger? Longer lasting?

Back when glue was uncertain, dovetails were much stronger than anything
else.
Now they are done mainly for looks.

Price difference? Probably somewhere between 10% and 300% depending on the
specifics.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Toller wrote:
"Me" wrote in message
oups.com...
What percent difference in price are cabinets with dovetail
construction vs those without? What is the advantage of dovetail?
Stronger? Longer lasting?

Back when glue was uncertain, dovetails were much stronger than anything
else.
Now they are done mainly for looks.

Disagree on both points -- they're still done in better quality carcase
work for mechanical strength w/ the looks as a secondary benefit.

As for glue strength, hide glue has been used for centuries and in tests
recently in FWW, it still tests as strong as the wood for common species
(like oak) in a majority of fracture tests...

Glue still won't hold a drawer together reliably for a long time...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 7:18 pm, dpb wrote:
Toller wrote:
roups.com...

--

And I disagree with Toller on another level: Besides the mechanical
interlocking of a dovetail, think about how much more surface is

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote

And I disagree with Toller on another level: Besides the mechanical
interlocking of a dovetail, think about how much more surface is
available for glue. If I'm not mistaken, the only joint that has more
exposed surface for glue is a very fine finger joint, but you loose
the mechanical interlocking that a dovetail provides - something very
desirable in a drawer front.

When I bought my kitchen cabinets (Diamond brand), I got the
dovetail upgrade free. I would have paid extra for that detail.
As you say, the drawer box joints are held together by more than
just glue and staples, or whatever it is they rely on without dovetails.

nancy