Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cedar shake roof treatment

I have a cedar shake roof and a company has suggested that they treat it
with a chemical to extend its life. They will give me a 10 year warranty.
Although I don't trust the warranty, I would like to know your opinions of
this procedure. Is there such a thing as extending the life of a cedar roof
by applying a chemical to it? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Remi" wrote in message
I have a cedar shake roof and a company has suggested that they treat it
with a chemical to extend its life. They will give me a 10 year warranty.
Although I don't trust the warranty, I would like to know your opinions of
this procedure. Is there such a thing as extending the life of a cedar roof
by applying a chemical to it? Thanks.

Find out exactly what they are going to put on it. Brand name, etc, and do
a little research. There are oils used for furniture exposed to the
weather, so there may be some products for a roof. Most are only for a year
or two, not 10.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On Jun 14, 9:05 am, "Remi" wrote:
I have a cedar shake roof and a company has suggested that they treat it
with a chemical to extend its life. They will give me a 10 year warranty.
Although I don't trust the warranty, I would like to know your opinions of
this procedure. Is there such a thing as extending the life of a cedar roof
by applying a chemical to it? Thanks.

There is such a thing as a cedar roof treatment. Some of my old
employers way back when had sold this to homeowners. I was never
involved in this process, however. How old is the roof now, and how
does it look? If you see splits developing that align directly above
any keyways ( normal spacing between individual shakes), this
treatment will not slow down the degradation of the underlying felt
when exposed to UV and water. These must be flashed with metal. Copper
or aluminum, preferably. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On Jun 14, 11:29 am, tom wrote:
On Jun 14, 9:05 am, "Remi" wrote:

I have a cedar shake roof and a company has suggested that they treat it
with a chemical to extend its life. They will give me a 10 year warranty.
Although I don't trust the warranty, I would like to know your opinions of
this procedure. Is there such a thing as extending the life of a cedar roof
by applying a chemical to it? Thanks.

There is such a thing as a cedar roof treatment. Some of my old
employers way back when had sold this to homeowners. I was never
involved in this process, however. How old is the roof now, and how
does it look? If you see splits developing that align directly above
any keyways ( normal spacing between individual shakes), this
treatment will not slow down the degradation of the underlying felt
when exposed to UV and water. These must be flashed with metal. Copper
or aluminum, preferably. Tom

Or below any keyways, also. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 2:30 pm, tom wrote:
On Jun 14, 11:29 am, tom wrote:

On Jun 14, 9:05 am, "Remi" wrote:

I have a cedar shake roof and a company has suggested that they treat it
with a chemical to extend its life. They will give me a 10 year warranty.
Although I don't trust the warranty, I would like to know your opinions of
this procedure. Is there such a thing as extending the life of a cedar roof
by applying a chemical to it? Thanks.

There is such a thing as a cedar roof treatment. Some of my old
employers way back when had sold this to homeowners. I was never
involved in this process, however. How old is the roof now, and how
does it look? If you see splits developing that align directly above
any keyways ( normal spacing between individual shakes), this
treatment will not slow down the degradation of the underlying felt
when exposed to UV and water. These must be flashed with metal. Copper
or aluminum, preferably. Tom

Or below any keyways, also. Tom- Hide quoted text -

Cedar does dry and rot away, treating it is a good idea. It will soak
up alot of oil.