Posted to alt.home.repair

Default swimming pool pump and filters

I have a 24' round above ground swimming pool. I am using a 1.5 hp hayward
pump with a gpm rate of 70. My filter is a DE 50 filter with a gpm rate of
50. Is this a problem that the pump is pumping more than the filter can
handle?
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On Jun 14, 7:38 am, "macsmom723"
wrote:
I have a 24' round above ground swimming pool. I am using a 1.5 hp hayward
pump with a gpm rate of 70. My filter is a DE 50 filter with a gpm rate of
50. Is this a problem that the pump is pumping more than the filter can
handle?

While the set-up should be balanced, as long as the pump doesn't
exceed the filters pressure limit, you should be okay. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

My filters psi (maximum working pressure) is 50. Here is my problem. I
asked for a 1 HP pump and the pool store gave me a 1.5HP pump. I hooked
it all up and now my filter is not putting out much pressure back into the
pool. I can literally cover the water coming into the pool with no effort
with my hand. I have to backwash at least once a day and "bump and swish"
about every 1/2 hour to get any pressure at all. I am thinking that maybe
the pump caused some damage to my DE filter which in turn is causing my
filter to not work efficiently. By the way, my water has been blue and
cloudy since last week. I can see the bottom but not clearly. I am
wasting everything out of the pool when I sweep and nothing is going into
the filter other than water. I have tested my water and all areas are
within normal limits, but my water is just not clearing up. Any
suggestions would me appreciated.

While the set-up should be balanced, as long as the pump doesn't
exceed the filters pressure limit, you should be okay. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

"macsmom723" wrote in message
news:55fbb93463536444cfa8008fc383fd23@homerepairli ve.com...
[...]

Have you asked the pump supplier about this?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Questions:
After you backwash, does the pressure increase?

Did you just start the pool up with the new pump -or- was the pump running,
died, then you did a replacement?

If backwashing does not increase pressure, then there might be a blockage on
the intake.

"macsmom723" wrote in message
news:777101edd5c6cfdf7ab47fcffd99dcb7@homerepairli ve.com...
I have a 24' round above ground swimming pool. I am using a 1.5 hp hayward
pump with a gpm rate of 70. My filter is a DE 50 filter with a gpm rate
of
50. Is this a problem that the pump is pumping more than the filter can
handle?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Does it have pressure before you add the DE?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

macsmom723 writes:

I am using a 1.5 hp hayward
pump with a gpm rate of 70.

Too much pump for that size pool. Gonna cost you $$$ extra to run it in
the long run.