DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Problems central air (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/203685-problems-central-air.html)

[email protected] June 13th 07 10:48 PM

Problems central air

The Blower fan on my A/C will not run in cool mode, but if I turn on
the furnace it starts up fine.

Charles June 13th 07 11:29 PM

Problems central air

wrote in message
oups.com...
The Blower fan on my A/C will not run in cool mode, but if I turn on
the furnace it starts up fine.

Is the compressor starting up (the outside unit)?

Might be a thermostat problem.

[email protected] June 13th 07 11:52 PM

Problems central air

On Jun 13, 6:29 pm, "Charles" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

The Blower fan on my A/C will not run in cool mode, but if I turn on
the furnace it starts up fine.

Is the compressor starting up (the outside unit)?

Might be a thermostat problem.

yes the outside unit is starting up.

Charles June 14th 07 12:09 AM

Problems central air

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 13, 6:29 pm, "Charles" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

The Blower fan on my A/C will not run in cool mode, but if I turn on
the furnace it starts up fine.

Is the compressor starting up (the outside unit)?

Might be a thermostat problem.

yes the outside unit is starting up.

OK, then the thermostat is working. The blower works in the heat mode. A
controller problem would be my guess. Should be repairable at a reasonable
cost. Some things you can check are the temperatures of the refrigerant
lines into and out of the compressor.

talkinggoat June 14th 07 12:16 AM

Problems central air

Make SURE that your compressor is working, not the fan for the
compressor. If you can't distinguish the difference, find the 2 copper
lines running into the outside unit. One should be cold, the other
should either be warm, or ambient. It should not be cold. If one of
the 2 lines is not cold, then your compressor is not working. If
that's the case, you should check the controller. Some a/c units have
a breaker attached to them. Check the wiring schematic to see if yours
does. Write back.

On Jun 13, 6:09 pm, "Charles" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jun 13, 6:29 pm, "Charles" wrote:

groups.com...

Joseph Meehan June 14th 07 12:19 AM

Problems central air

Charles wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 13, 6:29 pm, "Charles" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

The Blower fan on my A/C will not run in cool mode, but if I turn
on the furnace it starts up fine.

Is the compressor starting up (the outside unit)?

Might be a thermostat problem.

yes the outside unit is starting up.

OK, then the thermostat is working. The blower works in the heat
mode. A controller problem would be my guess. Should be repairable
at a reasonable cost. Some things you can check are the temperatures
of the refrigerant lines into and out of the compressor.

I wonder if the the speed may be different for each and one speed is
out.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Mark Lloyd June 14th 07 01:00 AM

Problems central air

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:09:07 -0400, "Charles"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 13, 6:29 pm, "Charles" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

The Blower fan on my A/C will not run in cool mode, but if I turn on
the furnace it starts up fine.

Is the compressor starting up (the outside unit)?

Might be a thermostat problem.

yes the outside unit is starting up.

OK, then the thermostat is working.

I know my thermostat has separate contacts for compressor and fan (for
heat the furnace controls the fan, not so with cool). One set of
contacts could be good, but not the other.

The blower works in the heat mode. A
controller problem would be my guess. Should be repairable at a reasonable
cost. Some things you can check are the temperatures of the refrigerant
lines into and out of the compressor.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."

CJT June 14th 07 02:48 AM

Problems central air

wrote:

The Blower fan on my A/C will not run in cool mode, but if I turn on
the furnace it starts up fine.

So something is broken -- could be the thermostat, could be the relay,
could be the wiring, could be one of the motor windings (furnace blower
is usually a different speed from AC blower). Get in there with a VOM
and diagnose it, or get somebody who knows how.

[email protected] June 14th 07 05:52 AM

Problems central air

On Jun 13, 9:48 pm, CJT wrote:
wrote:
The Blower fan on my A/C will not run in cool mode, but if I turn on
the furnace it starts up fine.

So something is broken -- could be the thermostat, could be the relay,
could be the wiring, could be one of the motor windings (furnace blower
is usually a different speed from AC blower). Get in there with a VOM
and diagnose it, or get somebody who knows how.

I just replaced the thermostat so I know thats not what it is.

Joseph Meehan June 14th 07 11:52 AM

Problems central air

wrote:
On Jun 13, 9:48 pm, CJT wrote:
wrote:
The Blower fan on my A/C will not run in cool mode, but if I turn on
the furnace it starts up fine.

So something is broken -- could be the thermostat, could be the
relay, could be the wiring, could be one of the motor windings
(furnace blower is usually a different speed from AC blower). Get
in there with a VOM and diagnose it, or get somebody who knows how.

I just replaced the thermostat so I know thats not what it is.

That logic has caused a lot of frustration. The replacement could be
bad or the wiring could be wrong.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

CJT June 15th 07 03:24 AM

Problems central air

wrote:

On Jun 13, 9:48 pm, CJT wrote:

wrote:

The Blower fan on my A/C will not run in cool mode, but if I turn on
the furnace it starts up fine.

So something is broken -- could be the thermostat, could be the relay,
could be the wiring, could be one of the motor windings (furnace blower
is usually a different speed from AC blower). Get in there with a VOM
and diagnose it, or get somebody who knows how.

I just replaced the thermostat so I know thats not what it is.

.... assuming the new one isn't defective, that it is compatible with
your system, and that you installed it properly