Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default garage door opener that automatically closes?

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

My opener has been known to almost completely close, then reverse itself. ...

That's indicative of an adjustment problem or an obstruction -- either
the stroke is a little long or there's a building binding that on
occasion is just enough to trip the force-limiting reversing switch.

An adjustment/cleaning/lubrication should eliminate the
problem...ignoring it will probably just increase the frequency of
events slowly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As someone said if the door is in proper adjustment this feature would
be as safe (no less a liability) as any already built into garage
doors.

I don't even fiddle with my garage door for days before I leave the
state to go to my summer place.. I can't imaging leaving the house for
the summer through the garage door. I dissconnect the power and lock it
into place.. I'd wonder all summer if I closed it or if it
took...LOL..

As it is, I make a false departure on my trip (1200 miles) . I lock up
and shut off everything real good , then I head out on the road (about
half a mile) with my car packed. But I go back and get out and check
everything one more time as a fail safe..

When I'm living at either place, I do what the other poster does , I
watch it annaly till it completly closes and often look back. Sometimes
the IR trips can work too good on those things..

The cat squishing option can only be a good thing..